PDA

View Full Version : How to frame a canvas oil painting

Brian Keith
01-18-2008, 10:39 PM
A friend wants a frames for some paintings. The canvas is already stretched over a square frame. How would I go about making a frame for it? Thanks

Rich Engelhardt
01-19-2008, 6:53 AM
Hello Brian,
Google logan picture framing kits.

Their kit in a box for ~ $400.00 is a good starting point.

I've made a few by hand and with a CMS.
Ain't as easy as it would seem..:confused:

Vic Damone
01-19-2008, 6:03 PM
If the stretcher is 1 1/2" thick you can use 3/4 X 2" stock shaped like an L or lengthwise rabbit with the bottom of the L being the back of the frame. There are many ways to do this but typically most artist want the entire canvas visible. If the artist has continued their art over the edges of the stretcher than your frame should allow enough space to see the edge.

I've had success with a sort of a double rabbit or a rabbit with a step (on the vertical part of the L) for art with unfinished edges. The art is fitted to the first step the second step allows about an 1/8" of relief or space around the surface of the art giving it a small floating appearance with the outside edge (the edge that flush with or just a bit higher than the surface of the canvas) approximately 3/16" thick.

It's important not to think like a woodworker Basswood is very popular. The important thing seems to be not to have the frame draw attention to itself.

Sorry no camera I hope this make some sense.

Vic

Keith Cope
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Brian,

Vic is right on--although I would add that the larger the painting, the wider you would want the visible front edge of the frame.

I made one, approximately 4' x 4'; used some prefinished MDF from Home Depot and some plywood gussets at the corners, painted the whole thing black and then used screws through the gussets into the canvas stretcher. Hope that helps.

Keith