PDA

View Full Version : Last Tool Purchases FOREVER

Jay Brewer
01-18-2008, 9:52 PM
Maybe not forever, but at least for a couple of months :eek:. I finally got the Oneida 2 hp cyclone hooked up. I am extremely pleased with the performance of the system. I have a few more bends than I would like but the suction still exceeded my expectations.

Next is the Powermatic 2700 5 hp shaper. From what little I have used it I am very impressed. I measured .00025 runout at the TOP of the spindle. Not quite as refined as the Felder shaper I have but at 1/3 the price, I am pleased. I have it postioned next to the Felder so they can share the power feeder.

Last is the Doucet Door Clamp. Thanks to J.R. for recommending this clamp. Basically it just clamps doors perfectly square. Alot easier than using the Bessys.

Needless to say, I think i am done buying for a while ( I hope ) thanks for looking

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice, Jay! I guess it's time to put them all to hard work, too!

keith ouellette
01-18-2008, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jay Brewer;749539]

Next is the Powermatic 2700 5 hp shaper. From what little I have used it I am very impressed. I measured .00025 runout at the TOP of the spindle. Not quite as refined as the Felder shaper I have but at 1/3 the price,

How do you even measure a .00025 run out? I don't even know what that number is called. I'm glad all of your tools are the best and yes I'm a little jealous but I hope I never get that exact. It will mean space aliens have fiddled with my brain. .00025! I thought biologists used numbers like that to measure microbes.

"Jason Belous"
01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Jay,

Is the oneida the only dust collector running for the entire shop?
Your shop is somewhat similar in layout and rough size of my shop and I've been running two 1900cfm dust collectors and two 1600cfm dust collectors with each running roughly three units. I've been looking at setting up one central cyclone but was under the impression i would need at least a 7 to 10 hoarse unit. Just wondering how many machines your using and is it being used for chip removal as well on the planers and jointers?

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 11:27 PM
All I can say is you have way too many cool tools. Great gloat. Question, will that door jig do cabinet doors? If not, do they make a smaller one for cabinet doors? That could save a lot of time.

Jay Brewer
01-19-2008, 8:30 AM
How do you even measure a .00025 run out? I don't even know what that number is called. I'm glad all of your tools are the best and yes I'm a little jealous but I hope I never get that exact. It will mean space aliens have fiddled with my brain. .00025! I thought biologists used numbers like that to measure microbes.

With a $30 dial indicator from harbor freight. I dont know what that number is called either, maybe I should have said "0" runout. I am not that exact of a person, however I do think it is wise to check runout before running a 6" peice of steel and carbide at 8000 rpms. I was simply making a statment of how impressed I was with the machine.

I have never said my tools are the best, far from it, nor did I post this to make you "jealous". I thought posting new tool purchases was part of this forum, sorry I was misinformed.

Tim Malyszko
01-19-2008, 8:37 AM
Awesome additions. Now put them to work!!!

I'm jealous.

Paul B. Cresti
01-19-2008, 8:42 AM
Hey Jay,
A Felder owner saying his tools are not the best??? :confused: Wow I have now heard it all...well almost ;) In hindsight one could use just about any kind of tool (to a point) to produce great work. It is all in the operator and his know how of his machine. Nice shop, I am real glad to see the Oneida working well and I am sure you are happy that you didn't spend a large some of cash on such a simple and effective DC

Jay Brewer
01-19-2008, 8:43 AM
Jay,

Is the oneida the only dust collector running for the entire shop?
Your shop is somewhat similar in layout and rough size of my shop and I've been running two 1900cfm dust collectors and two 1600cfm dust collectors with each running roughly three units. I've been looking at setting up one central cyclone but was under the impression i would need at least a 7 to 10 hoarse unit. Just wondering how many machines your using and is it being used for chip removal as well on the planers and jointers?

Hi Jason, I can run 2 machines off the 2 hp. I dont think I could run 3 without a big drop in suction. I have run both shapers at once and they both have 2- 4" ports, and it did a good job. Its just me most of the time with a part time employee, so 2 machines at a time is probably the most I will ever run. I would have liked to get the 3 hp, but didnt have the height for it.

I dont do any planing, I buy my lumber already surfaced, I think the 35 gal drum is far to small for that. Sounds like you need a much larger cyclone than I have. The people at Oneida are very helpful and will design a system to fit your needs, Thanks

keith ouellette
01-19-2008, 8:47 AM
With a $30 dial indicator from harbor freight. I dont know what that number is called either, maybe I should have said "0" runout. I am not that exact of a person, however I do think it is wise to check runout before running a 6" peice of steel and carbide at 8000 rpms. I was simply making a statment of how impressed I was with the machine.

I have never said my tools are the best, far from it, nor did I post this to make you "jealous". I thought posting new tool purchases was part of this forum, sorry I was misinformed.

I was only joking around though I am still jealous. Your machines are very impressive and I hope you didn't take my post wrong. I didn't mean anything by it and am glad I got to see them.

Jay Brewer
01-19-2008, 8:50 AM
All I can say is you have way too many cool tools. Great gloat. Question, will that door jig do cabinet doors? If not, do they make a smaller one for cabinet doors? That could save a lot of time.

Hi Bill, thanks for the compliments. The door clamp is for cabinet doors, Its quite a bit larger than I thought it would be, and I had a hard time squeezing it in. I wish they made a smaller one, but this was the smallest. The smallest door it can clamp I believe is 6" x 12", up to 30" x 72". It does save alot of time though, thanks

Jay Brewer
01-19-2008, 9:00 AM
Hey Jay,
A Felder owner saying his tools are not the best??? :confused: Wow I have now heard it all...well almost ;) In hindsight one could use just about any kind of tool (to a point) to produce great work. It is all in the operator and his know how of his machine. Nice shop, I am real glad to see the Oneida working well and I am sure you are happy that you didn't spend a large some of cash on such a simple and effective DC

Hi Paul, I thought Mini Max was the best????:D Thanks again for steering me away from the other dust collector. Because of Paul I got a great dust collector and had the money left over to buy the new shaper, thanks again.

Don Bullock
01-19-2008, 9:23 AM
Great additions.