PDA

View Full Version : Is Norm infallible?

Rob Franz
01-18-2008, 9:40 PM
I know the man is just human. But with the magic of television, every cut looks acurate the first time, every mortise and tenon snug and perfect, every hand cut angle right on, every "sand to the line" curving slope magical.

But in reality, like when he makes the " prototype".....how often do you think he mismeasures, miscuts, cuts the wrong angle or side, or get chip out on that last cut??? Enough so, where he has to scrap the whole piece big or small.??

I swear in all my years watching him work, I think I've only seen one cut that after glue up, didn't look right to me. ( the miter bench drawer)But maybe it was my angle.

I hope this topic doesn't offend anyone. I'm just a curious kinda guy.

And thanks for all the great advice I've gleamed from this site, in just the past few weeks.

Rob

Jon Bonham
01-18-2008, 9:48 PM
I've wondered the same thing myself.

Oh, and the word you're looking for is "gleaned" just in case you have a test. ;)

Rob Franz
01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks John, I won't even SAY it was my lousy typing. I really thought you spelled it/pronounced it that way :)

Rob

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Everyone makes mistakes, even Norm. Ask him and he'll tell you that looking into your eyes. But folks who have that many years under their belts as skilled craftspeople will certainly make a lot less of them that most of us who don't have that experience. And something else they know how to do is deal with the mistakes so they are no longer a problem to a project. I've been observing that first hand with many of the folks working on our addition over the past 6 months. It's impressive.

BTW, if you want to, you can watch the taping of the NYW "live" via the webcam (http://www.newyankee.com/yankeecam.php) and they have slide shows for previous tapings. While it's stop-action with shots about every minute, it's quite interesting. Things really do flow, more or less, how you see things later on PBS. And it's always been impressive to me that they are able to get things done in the time they have to do it, especially because outside of some of the finishing work, Norm does all the work. There are no "elves"... ;) He builds two of each project...one prototype; one "real" one. Russ Morash often gets one of those...after all, it's his shop!

And welcome to SMC!

Joe Mioux
01-18-2008, 10:11 PM
He has all his fingers doesn't he?

The most impressive part of that show and him, is the safe demonstration of cuts on the TS.

He has minimized ripping and cross-cutting big plywood sheets on the table saw over the years. I have seen him do that, but that isn't any different than any carpenter out on a job site.

I still remember the first show of TOH that I saw back in 1979. I was hooked and a lot of what I enjoyed back then was Norm's expertise as a carpenter.

joe

keith ouellette
01-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I have always wondered about that. I figured it was like those fishing shows on tv where a fish is being caught every couple of minutes but if you watch the sun when its in the camera shot you can see all the dead time has been cut out.
I make mistakes all the time. The new ones don't bother me but the old ones kill me.

Cody Colston
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
There have been many requests over the years for a Norm "bloopers" episode showing some of those mistakes that you mentioned.

According to whomever answers the questions on the NYW web site, there just aren't enough recorded bloopers to fill a 30 minute show. I have to think that if there were, it would be published because I'm sure it would be very popular.

I've seen a couple of minor mistakes; a joint that wasn't exactly tight (he used sanding dust and glue to fill the gap) and a kerfed skirt that broke as Norm was attempting to bend it. However, the mistakes are few and as Jim said, he is likely adept at hiding those mistakes.

Adam Boyer
01-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I can't believe this question has been asked - of course Norm is infallible - and he is omnipotent and all powerful... :rolleyes:
They way that guy can churn out a Chippendale chest of drawers in 30 minutes... gives me chills.

keith micinski
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Who's rush morash and you mean the new yankee workshop isn't Norm's and if not does Norm have his own shop to.

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Who's rush morash and you mean the new yankee workshop isn't Norm's and if not does Norm have his own shop to.Morash is the producer of NYW, TOH, and Ask TOH. The actual "New Yankee Workshop" is the lower level of a barn on his property at a very closely guarded location (probably) somewhere in Massachusetts. (FWIW, "Ask TOH" is taped up in the loft of the same barn.)

Greg Cuetara
01-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I believe Norm works out of Russ's shop down on Nantucket. As far as I know Norm does not have his own shop becuase he can go over there and he has a great set-up he can use anytime.

This is an interesting question. I would be more interested if any professionals out there have any major mis-measurements etc. I would venture to say that Jim is correct that most professionals don't make that many mistakes and when they do they know how to hide them or fix them. It is what makes them a professional. If you were a cabinet maker you couldn't make that many mistakes and still make money. JMHO

Dewayne Garrett
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I enjoy the show when I see it. However I saw on the site the shop is only 936 sq ft. much smaller than I expected. :cool: Still nice size for that is what just over a 30*30.

I may have a chance after all need to look at how to regroup some items.:rolleyes: I'm taking over the garage!

Bob Feeser
01-18-2008, 11:36 PM
http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/38402/2428231690100733997S600x600Q85.jpg
:)

Michael Gibbons
01-19-2008, 1:00 AM
Lot's of speculation here. If you happen to see the NYW episode where he builds a model of the shop, well thats about it. It's a seperate building on his property. I've seen an episode of the Victory Garden which is also shot on Russell Morashs property and you can clearly see the NYW in the background. I believe that the NYW is actually on Morashs the property where he lives ( like in back yard). The garage workshop episode is also what I believe to be his garage which is connected to his house. Russell said in an article that they needed a convenient place to shoot the NYW. Once they decided to film it, Norm added a huge addition the the already existing garage ( outbuilding) which is now where the show is filmed. Russeel also stated in that same article that they have a peice of wood that Norm goofed on and they put it on display in the NYW. Apparently it was from the Butlers Table episode.

Keith, Russell Morash is the producer of "This Old House", "New Yankee Workshop", " Victory Garden", " Cooking with Julia Childs" and a few others I can't remember off hand. He's won a few award's ( I think Emmy's) for the photography and editing of the series.

James Hart
01-19-2008, 2:36 AM
I haven't seen a ton of NYW episodes, but has anybody seen Norm pull out a plane to fit a joint or smooth something after it came out of the planah?
I won't dispute that he doesn't make mistakes, just a bit amazed that he seems to make perfect fits direct from power tools. Rough carpenter?

Jim

Bob Childress
01-19-2008, 6:41 AM
When asked about this issue, Norm once remarked in an interview to the effect that "People don't tune in to see mistakes, they watch to see how to make things. We don't show the mistakes."

Of course, I'm sure there aren't very many. ;)

Roy Hatch
01-19-2008, 7:12 AM
The mistake that I've noticed most often is hidden by a bandage on a finger.:)

Roy

Glenn Clabo
01-19-2008, 8:23 AM
The story told by Morash is that when Norm built a barn for him he was blown away by his work...especially his work ethic, lack of mistakes and incrediably small pile of scraps. He felt he just had to ask him to work on TOH.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-19-2008, 8:41 AM
When asked about this issue, Norm once remarked in an interview to the effect that "People don't tune in to see mistakes, they watch to see how to make things. We don't show the mistakes."

If that was said, I'd disagree with the statement. Fixing mistakes is a big part of WWing and I would think his audience would appreciate it if that was given some attention. I know that when I took a WWing course last year, the instructor did spend some time on just that and I felt it was very useful.

John Shuk
01-19-2008, 9:09 AM
People have different opinions of Norm's work. I don't think anyone would argue that he is a master craftsman who takes the time to learn and understand his tools for proper performance. He has experience the evolution from everything done w/ handtools to nearly everything done w/ power or air tools.

Doug Shepard
01-19-2008, 9:21 AM
Rumor has it that he can part the Red Sea with a brad nailer too, but I'm still waiting to see that episode:D

Pat Germain
01-19-2008, 11:32 AM
As I recall, Norm does have his own shop. I think it was built next the house he had custom built and documented in a book I read.

I am impressed with the functionality of the NYW considering it's really not very big. David J. Marks' shop is also very impressive. I've never seen it as a whole, but I know it's not very large.

I've read a lot about Norm, but I've never met him. Considering he grew up doing woodworking and carpentry with his father, it's not surprising that his skills seem so amazing. It seems Norm's father was also a very good teacher. This is how skills were taught for thousands of years, yet we seem to be losing this tradition.

I would have loved to learn such skills my from my dad, but the most he could teach me was where to find the local watering holes and I wasn't interested. ;) Neither my son or daughter have an interest in woodworking. They're great kids, but just into other things. Maybe someday I'll get a grandson or granddaughter who wants to do woodworking. For me, teaching woodworking skills to my grandkids would be the ultimate satisfaction in life. :) Then, just maybe, someone would be amazed at their skills and wonder if they ever make mistakes.

Greg Pavlov
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
He has to make some mistakes. My guess is that when he does, a replacement piece is made off camera and then the fit and assembly is redone with that one instead.

Paul Girouard
01-19-2008, 11:50 AM
#1: As I recall, Norm does have his own shop. I think it was built next the house he had custom built and documented in a book I read.

#2: For me, teaching woodworking skills to my grandkids would be the ultimate satisfaction in life. :) Then, just maybe, someone would be amazed at their skills and wonder if they ever make mistakes.

#1: Yes Norm has a shop at his own home , the book title is , " Norm Abram's New House " Little , Brown and Company publishers Copyright 1995.

The show is filmed at a different location , I'd like to see a show about his home shop , but maybe it's not that great . With what I'd assume is a very full schedule of TOH , and NYW , are personal appearances at W/Wing shows and stores the "poor"( relative term ) guy may seldom get to work in his own shop.

#2: Highly recommended , AS a HOBBY, but similarly to Willy Nelson's song "Mom-ma's don't let you babies grow up to be cowboys" I'd warn against letting your babies be carpenter's or cabinetmaker's as well. It's not all wood chips and holidays :rolleyes:

Norm , I'm sure , runs test pieces , for his set-ups before he runs his final stock pass.

He , they say , does three of each piece , a first prototype , to see if every thing looks good , the second they film , so all the little "How the hell I'm I going to cut this ????" stuff is figgered out :DAnd the third they do a plan deal out of.

I'd bet they must have a NYWS sale / raffle/ benefit sale once in a while , or all the folks involved in the shows get a piece of the work , Norm and or Russell still can't be taking all that stuff home can they??

This years kitchen show will be a fun to watch , IF PBS ever gets done with thier local fund raisers and airs it :mad:

I wonder IF that was done the same way , 3 kitchen , the same :confused: :eek:

Anyone seen the start of that series yet??

Pat Germain
01-19-2008, 12:05 PM
#2: Highly recommended , AS a HOBBY, but similarly to Willy Nelson's song "Mom-ma's don't let you babies grow up to be cowboys" I'd warn against letting your babies be carpenter's or cabinetmaker's as well. It's not all wood chips and holidays :rolleyes:

I hear you and I completely agree. While I have great respect for professional woodworkers, they seem to be very under-appreciated and thus underpaid.

Artistry tends to run in my family. Both my kids are very artistic. (My son is a singer/songwriter. www.myspace.com/jamesgermain (http://www.myspace.com/jamesgermain) ) Thus, I would hope to pass along woodworking skills which would help my grandkids to express themselves. Of course, someday my son or daughter might take an interest in woodworking. Come to think of it, my son has expressed an interest in learning how to make guitars, but that's way beyond my ability.

Like many things, I think some people are going to be better at woodworking than others no matter what the experience. I've tried to work with people who couldn't drive a screw to save their lives no matter how many times they tried. Yet, those same folks can do things I could never do; like accounting. :eek:

It seems to me Norm is someone who has a gift for woodworking and was fortunate enough to have a father who could nurture that inate ability.

Michael Pfau
01-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Norm is the MAN!! His Dad was a carpenter and he started when he was very young. Some guys just have a nack, and I believe he is one of them.

Paul Girouard
01-19-2008, 12:19 PM
[quote=Pat Germain;749917]

Come to think of it, my son has expressed an interest in learning how to make guitars, but that's way beyond my ability.

quote]

Grizzly has some good looking guitar kits. Maybe a cheap one of those's to start with , might be "good bait" ;)

There's a guy on another forum who's done a thread on guitar building you might look at, http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=69562&highlight=Guitar+building

He did a whole series 1 -6 or so , lots to it , but the kit would reduce the amount to steps.

Brian Dormer
01-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I met Norm at a book signing years ago (I think NYW was in the 2nd or 3rd season) - and I asked him about what they do when there is a goof.

Norm is exactly what you see on TV - very down to earth and easy to talk to. He said that he generally cuts things "a little long" when they film and will go back and cut it exactly without the camera rolling. There are occasional mistakes and they just edit them out. Of course, building the prototype is where most of the mistakes happen. He said filming is generally a long couple of days, but it flows pretty smoothly.

The workshop is on Morash's property and was pretty much built to Norms specifications for filming the show. And somewhere in New England (Norm refused to say where), there is a basement overflowing with old NYW prototypes.

Lee DeRaud
01-19-2008, 1:05 PM
This years kitchen show will be a fun to watch , IF PBS ever gets done with thier local fund raisers and airs it :mad:

I wonder IF that was done the same way , 3 kitchen , the same :confused: :eek:

Anyone seen the start of that series yet??I just hope they actually air all the episodes here: the local PBS stations have beg-a-thons about every other month, and they've been known to simply skip stuff that gets pre-empted. Usually not a problem for NYW, but it makes TOH almost unwatchable.

I've seen the first one: the individual cabinets are being shop-built (as opposed to made-on-site), so I suspect the usual, "build one, film one" protocol applies. (That would let them cherry-pick the best cabinets when they do the installation, so that should go pretty smoothly.)

Lee DeRaud
01-19-2008, 1:08 PM
And somewhere in New England (Norm refused to say where), there is a basement overflowing with old NYW prototypes.I'm kind of surprised they haven't either been either auctioned off for charity or donated directly to Habitat For Humanity or somebody like that.

Bob Feeser
01-19-2008, 2:01 PM
I have been TIVO'ing NYW episodes for years, and then dumping them onto VHS. Somehow I have never gone back and rewatched any of them. I figured since I took notes, I could isolate whatever procedure I was trying to do, then reference it on tape. It never happens.
I do want to say something about Norm, he has been improving on his already improved procedures as he goes along. One that stands out in my mind, is when opening a gallon, or quart of finish, and he pours it into a little pail, and the spill that fills the gutter, always makes for a sloppy can closing, with the contents running over the side of the can. Coming from a refinishing background, I was thinking of writing him a letter, and suggesting he pokes a hole with an ice pick, in the trough that surrounds the top of the can, so the extra can drip back down in the can. Then when you seal it with the lid, the ice pick hole is sealed also. Never sent him the letter, but a year later, he was instructing viewers to do just that. His procedures do evolve, and he has a chance to look back at old methods and see any possible shortcomings.
In some ways I was kind of saddened when I heard that he is not working out of his own workshop. I saw the comment that he does have a workshop of his own. With his position in life right now, he could build whatever level of workshop of his own that he wants. So whatever he has, of course he is comfortable with it. God knows the tool manufacturers would be glad to hand him whatever tool he wants.
His frugality is something to be admired. He uses a Delta Hollow Chisel Mortiser, when he could have a Powermatic station with the click of a finger. His intent is to focus on helping the viewer, rather then getting lost in a sea of the greatest of everything tool. I admire that, but prefer whatever upgrades I can afford.
Someone mentioned his kitchen series. I have TIVO'd the first 2 episodes. He is building painted cabinets. He starts out reviewing the old kitchens features and condition, keeping the existing stainless steel sink which is in nice shape, then telling you how he is going to shrink the island, make things more accessible. Then he takes you for a tour of a hardware manufacturers kitchen, and you get to see the drawers all slide out on the bottom, so as to avoid not having to crawl on your knees to get something out of the back. Even some of the upper shelves are drawers, with finally the uppermost being shelves. The corner cabinet is unique in the there are 2 rows of drawers, with the very corner, they are touching one another. When you pull on one, the whole corner of a "double" face V face inverted drawer pulls out. When you slide it back in, the drawer body goes in first, then the two drawer front "wings" slowly pop back into position. The upper cabinetry has a Mercedes Benz gull wing door hinge assembly attached to it, in order to as the commentator mentions it, to avoid the "hitting your head" on the cabinet door while unloading the dishwasher problem.
That brings up a point. Kitchens should have 2 dishwashers. You build a nice set of custom glass front cabinets. The customer puts there better than everyday wear dishes in there, with lighting and all, then proceeds to use the everyday wear. When one dishwasher gets full, you run it, and start using the other one to place the dirty dishes in. When that one fills up, you do the same. You never have to put away a dirty dish. You never are stuck with putting dirty dishes in the sink, because you do not feel like unloading the dishwasher right now. So the kitchen is always clean. If you run a load of dishes per day, and take 15 minutes, or 20 minutes to unload it, and load the dirty build up from out of the sink, at the end of the week, that is 2 hours and 20 minutes. At the end of the month, that is 9 hours and 20 minutes, and at the end of the year, that is 112 hours. So you are spending 2.8 weeks at 40 hours per week, just loading and unloading dishes. If everybody put away there own dishes, and could do so easily because an available dirty side dishwasher was always available, you could 1) Save a lot of grunt time. 2) Always have a spotless kitchen. With roughly 3 weeks of labor per year, you can figure out what you are making, and compared to what the diswasher would cost, then the following year, you are not spending anything, and enjoying the benefit. By the way consumer reports stated that the hot water you use with a dishwasher reusing the same gallon of water, over and over, will pay for the dishwasher in the first year, as compared to hand washing with the tons of water going down the drain.
Is this what you call getting off on a tangent? We started off talking about Norm, got into his new kitchen series, and now we are on to dishwashers. You'd think I was a dame or somthin.:rolleyes:

Paul Girouard
01-19-2008, 2:16 PM
Bob I'm a big fan of "thread drift" I think more info can be gained with it , than is "lost" in the manusia (sp) of it.

On dishwasher they make dishwasher draws now , and what you mentioned is the intent of that machine , wash and store. So you achieve two things a storage draw that cleans , in a "normal" kitchen you can stack two draws one for forks , glasses etc one for plates , bowls etc . Then a "normal" dishwasher for pots and pans . No "lost" space as the dishwasher draws are storage as well , all good!

Mark Blum
01-19-2008, 2:56 PM

Anyone seen the start of that series yet??
They're airing it here in the Philly area, and this weekend will be the third episode.

If you run a load of dishes per day, and take 15 minutes, or 20 minutes to unload it, and load the dirty build up from out of the sink, at the end of the week, that is 2 hours and 20 minutes. At the end of the month, that is 9 hours and 20 minutes, and at the end of the year, that is 112 hours. So you are spending 2.8 weeks at 40 hours per week, just loading and unloading dishes.
That must be one huge dishwasher to require 15-20 minutes to unload it. Mine takes half of that time if I'm leisurely about it.

Pat Germain
01-19-2008, 6:42 PM
For the first time in a very long time, I caught my local PBS broadcast of NYW. Unfortunately, it was a 2007 episode where Norm built an upholstered window bench. I don't know why my local PBS station isn't showing the kitchen episodes.

I did see two interesting things on the window seat episode. First, Norm used a hand plane to shape the tops of the end pieces (stumps). Second, when he was upholstering the bench, he often had to pull the staples, reposition the fabric, then staple again. Norm explained this was typical for upholstery work, but it sure seemed strange to watch norm perform "do-overs".

Lee DeRaud
01-19-2008, 6:52 PM
Second, when he was upholstering the bench, he often had to pull the staples, reposition the fabric, then staple again. Norm explained this was typical for upholstery work, but it sure seemed strange to watch norm perform "do-overs".Not so much a "do-over", I suspect, as a "make-do" because he lacks the specialized fabric clamps a real upholsterer would use in place of that initial row of staples.

Pat Germain
01-19-2008, 6:59 PM
^^ Actually, Norm had fabric clamps. They looked similar to a sheet metal tool with a nub on the bottom.

In the show, Norm said he got help from some professionals in NC who upholstered the first chair while showing him how to do it. Norm had to pull staples and re-staple occasionally in order to keep the fabric aligned. The fabric he was using had a simple pattern.

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 7:19 PM
How cool would it be to tell someone "Hold on, I'll go out back and see if Norm can make one of those for me."

Rob Franz
01-19-2008, 11:19 PM
In tonights episode, Norm sayed " I've checked that this screw is the right legnth, because if it poked thru the table top, that would be catastrophic ! "

Been there done that.

Rob

Dave Sabo
01-20-2008, 1:51 AM
Nope, I seem to recall a few years back when Norm had his arm in a sling on a few taped episodes of TOH. They took about 10 sec. of airtime to shrug off his shop accident.

I also recall a blooper reel form those guys, but I think it was just TOH episodes and not the NYW.

Brad Naylor
01-20-2008, 2:15 AM
Norm has all but disappeared from our screens this side of the pond. A few years ago you couldn't turn on cable TV without seeing him.

Non-woodworking clients used to take a look at my shop and pronounce it 'just like Norm's' with evident approval. I took to wearing plaid shirts to keep up the illusion!

And now he's ignored by the moguls at Discovery TV.

Come back Norm, we miss you!

Ben Brownbrwn
01-20-2008, 2:22 AM
Well I have watched almost all the episodes. What bites me is cutting a 8x4 plywood on the table saw!. I tried doing it, (with all set up as Norm's in the bookcase episode) but failed to get a straight cut. I would prefer a panel saw or a circular saw with a very straight edge. I think the size of the tool should be inversely proportional to material being cut.

Allan Froehlich
01-20-2008, 3:45 AM
I was watching him a few hours ago. Not all of his cuts are accurate.

He was building a cigar chair and I watched as he drilled some slightly misalligned holes for dowel pins. I also saw a workpiece move laterally as he sent it through the tablesaw for a shallow cut.

John Mihich
01-20-2008, 6:39 AM
He has used planes and chisels over the years. More and more he makes the tenons tight and then cleans them up with a rabbet plane.

One thing I think, my opinion only, is that he (and Russel) limit the things they build because of time and audience. Norm has done some carvings also but just a bit. Not all WW'ers have the tools for carving, they can get expensive also. If you watched his show from the beginning you would seen simple projects at the start and has gone to stuff that really look nice and difficult to make and finish. I do believe that after 19 years of making things there isn't anything he couldn't make if he wanted to. His resources are unlimited as to learning how to do something. He is skilled with his hands.

As to mistakes - I have seen non perfect miters, tear outs, etc, something we all have experienced. I would venture to say that if these pieces were to be made for a client that there would be a little more care there, he's under time restraints for taping.

Lee DeRaud
01-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Nope, I seem to recall a few years back when Norm had his arm in a sling on a few taped episodes of TOH. They took about 10 sec. of airtime to shrug off his shop accident.Some kind of shoulder injury, wasn't it?

As much heavy lifting as they do on TOH, doing demolition and muscling headers and beams into place, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. Of course, these days I'm surprised it doesn't happen to me just moving tools around the garage...getting old sucks.

It's not like he cut the arm off on the chop saw during a taping.

Marcus Ward
01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Roy Underhill is much more realistic and interesting.

Colin Giersberg
01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Well I have watched almost all the episodes. What bites me is cutting a 8x4 plywood on the table saw!. I tried doing it, (with all set up as Norm's in the bookcase episode) but failed to get a straight cut. I would prefer a panel saw or a circular saw with a very straight edge. I think the size of the tool should be inversely proportional to material being cut.

Check out the Festool TS 55 and the saw guide. I have one and it works great. They have a video of it on their website that shows just how impressive it is. While it is expensive, I truly believe that you get what you pay for. Woodcraft also is a dealer for Festool, so check them out in person to get an up close and personal experience.

What surprises me is that Porter Cable, Dewalt, Milwaukee and others have yet to develop a system like what Festool has. I am not saying that these manufacturers aren't any good. They are, but they seem to be falling behind in the ideas department. I have several tools from PC, Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita that I really like, but I think they do need to start thinking like Festool.

Regards, Colin

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-20-2008, 11:38 AM
It is all fake. There isn't even such a person as Norm. It's a digital image in a computer somewhere.
There are no machines, no cuts, no wood, no finish, there isn't even a place on earth where there is a Yankee Workshop. The whole thing is fabricated in the basement of some 12 year old savant computer imaging guru.

Paul Girouard
01-20-2008, 11:46 AM
It is all fake. There isn't even such a person as Norm. It's a digital image in a computer somewhere.
There are no machines, no cuts, no wood, no finish, there isn't even a place on earth where there is a Yankee Workshop. The whole thing is fabricated in the basement of some 12 year old savant computer imaging guru.

Check your math, :confused: the shows like 20 years old , how could 12 YO be doing it:confused: , he'd at least be 25 now :D

Pat Germain
01-20-2008, 1:30 PM
Roy Underhill is much more realistic and interesting.

I think that's a matter of opinion. I recall seeing only a few of Roy's shows. Wasn't it called, "The Woodwright's Shop", or something similar? For whatever reason, Roy's show didn't last very long and Norm's seems to have no end in sight. I don't think ability had anything to do with it. More likely, it was sponsor issues, or something.

I think both Roy and Norm are great woodworkers, great craftsman and, apparently, great people. The same goes for David J. Marks. Each has a different style and does things in different ways. Personally, I enjoy learning from all of them.

Dennis Meek
01-20-2008, 2:54 PM
The Woodwright Shop started it's new season Dec 29th on my PBS station out of Seattle. He had the governor of North Carolina on. A great series.

Norman Pyles
01-20-2008, 3:32 PM
Norm is not infallible, he just never makes a mistake.;)

Scott Kilroy
01-20-2008, 3:49 PM
I have always wondered about that. I figured it was like those fishing shows on tv where a fish is being caught every couple of minutes but if you watch the sun when its in the camera shot you can see all the dead time has been cut out.
I make mistakes all the time. The new ones don't bother me but the old ones kill me.

I know someone who has edited a lot of the fishing shows and he's told me that a lot of the time they catch the fish ahead of time keep them alive in a tank and then hook them throw them in the water just to get the shot of the a guy reeling it in.

Marcus Ward
01-20-2008, 4:12 PM
I think that's a matter of opinion. I recall seeing only a few of Roy's shows. Wasn't it called, "The Woodwright's Shop", or something similar? For whatever reason, Roy's show didn't last very long and Norm's seems to have no end in sight. I don't think ability had anything to do with it. More likely, it was sponsor issues, or something.

Bwahahahahah. 29 seasons. Norm's only been going for 20! A mere tyro! A babe in swaddling cloths!

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-20-2008, 9:27 PM
Check your math, :confused: the shows like 20 years old , how could 12 YO be doing it:confused: , he'd at least be 25 now :D

The secret cabal of 12 year old computer gurus is passed from one to another like a torch.

Same basement though.

Scott Kilroy
01-21-2008, 1:14 AM

the 12 year old is part of the program that creates the digitized Norm, he digitizes himself digitizing us watching Norm who is digitized working in NYWS.

If Norm was real he wouldn't be able to appear on NYWS and TOH at the same time :)

Ken Shoemaker
01-21-2008, 5:58 AM
Contray to some views, the guy has got to have talent.

Who else has could become so admired that he has been around for 20+ years, his name is a household word, and all this done in a flannal shirt?????

I would love to shake his hand one day.... Ken

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2008, 8:05 AM
I always enjoy watching Norm, I cringe at some of his methods (nailing molding through the face) and running a tablesaw without a guard and a splitter.

I think however that Norm has probably done more to poularize woodworking than anyone else.

I think Roy Underhill demonstrates more knowledge of woodworking, Norm is mostly a machinery operator, not a hand tool person.

That said I enjoy watching both of them whenever I can.

Regards, Rod.

Tim Marks
01-21-2008, 8:18 AM
IKitchens should have 2 dishwashers... When one dishwasher gets full, you run it, and start using the other one to place the dirty dishes in.
It is one of the bachelor's dreams... but try running that one by SWMBO? Surprisingly enough, I think most will give little support for the idea. I guess efficiency in motion and work reduction planning just doesn't fit into the kitchen.

The double-drawer dishwashers have alot less interior space then a normal dishwasher, but would probably be a great solution for someone who didn't have kids (or a wife).

Phil Warnement
01-21-2008, 8:26 AM
What you see is a skilled woodworker and craftsman creating projects that people would want in their house or workshop. This is all done in a thirty minute time frame through the magic of television. I personally wouldn't have it any other way.

I've learned a lot from watching his shows and will continue to learn from future shows. To me he is the best show host of any woodworking show in any media. People in the business could learn from his approach and style. His professionalism is above and beyond.

As far as making mistakes, I'm sure he makes them. And, I'm sure that if enough of them were shown on the show, there would be posts about that. Some days you just can't win............

As far as being a craftsman, I think he meets the criteria. If you don't agree, check out the Highboy from season seventeen. I know he bought the legs, but he made and carved everything else, and I'll be if he wanted to he could make the legs himself. Maybe he could do a show on that. What a great idea!!! I don't think he has to change in a phone booth to prove he is better.

I will continue to watch the show and be thankful that it is on. And now, I will yield the soap box to someone else. Thanks and have a great day.

Curt Harms
01-21-2008, 9:00 AM
Do I respect the skill and creativity of David Marks or Sam Moloof? Absolutely. Do I feel I could do that with some practice? Not bloody likely, maybe with a LOT of practice. Do I feel like I might be able to duplicate Norm's projects with some patience and practice? Yes to many of them. That might be the attraction of Norm.

Curt

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 9:24 AM
The double-drawer dishwashers have alot less interior space then a normal dishwasher, but would probably be a great solution for someone who didn't have kids (or a wife).

This is a better topic for a thread in OT, but that's absolutely not true. I know because I have them in our kitchen and have since 2003. Outside of a limit in the physical size of a few things (the 14" chargers will not fit, but they only get used once every three years or so...) our 2 over-under Fisher-Paykel dishdrawers actually hold more than a single conventional style dishwasher. They are also more economical to run than most conventionals due to some impressive motor technology. I only wish I could have done two independent units on either side of the sink to not have to bend over to load the lower one...not possible in our kitchen space, however.

And now back to our regularly scheduled Norm-o-thon!

Marcus Ward
01-21-2008, 9:36 AM
I thinks is part of the appeal to the show. I would guess that a large portion of the audience doesn't actually do any of this stuff, they just like watching and seeing it done, living vicariously as it were. A large part of our culture lives through people on tv, which is horrendously sad, but it explains the success of certain types of programs. Please note, I am not referring to anyone here, don't spend a bunch of time explaining how you don't do that.

Do I respect the skill and creativity of David Marks or Sam Moloof? Absolutely. Do I feel I could do that with some practice? Not bloody likely, maybe with a LOT of practice. Do I feel like I might be able to duplicate Norm's projects with some patience and practice? Yes to many of them. That might be the attraction of Norm.

Curt

Paul Girouard
01-21-2008, 9:37 AM
Outside of a limit in the physical size of a few things (the 14 chargers will not fit, but they only get used once every three years or so...)

Jim your NOT supposed to be washing YOUR 14 YO twins in the dish washer draws!

And they MTL need a bath more than once every 3 years :D

Jack Hogoboom
01-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I think Norm hurt his shoulder falling from a wet rafter during his house construction. I believe he wrote about it in the book about his house. It was a pretty funny story.

I figure Norm has cost me nearly $20,000 having gotten me hooked on woodworking as a hobby. I hate to say it, but I'd rather meet him than the President or any celebrity. I have even had dreams in which I worked on a project with him....:eek: Does that make me a stalker?:rolleyes:

Imagine what his pieces will be worth once he decides to pack it in....

Jack

Jim Becker
01-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Jack...it's not "cost"...it's "investment".... :D

Dave Sabo
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Jack - the injury I'm speaking of was long after his home was built and the book published.

Bill Jepson
01-21-2008, 2:14 PM
Hey Guys have you ever heard the saying, "If it was easy everybody would be doing it!" I am going to make an unusual reference. When JK Rowling wrote the Harry Potter books the best thing she ever did, which makes all the money earned, is to get kids reading again. Norm is the woodworking equivalent. His easy approach has either introduced, or reintroduced so many people to woodworking he has earned the right to as many mistakes as he has ever made. (And personally I don't think there are a lot of them.) The greatest thing about TOH or NYW is they get people thinking, hey I can do this! Not as well as Norm perhaps but the longest journey begins with a single step. I enjoy Roy Underhill's shows but he rarely does projects I would want to make. I would also like to see him use more tools created after the use of electricity! Time is my most important commodity. After I retire my desire to use hand tools may increase, but until then I must say that Norm is the only guy who's building things I might want to duplicate right now.
ANYBODY that saves the skills of manufacture for the public, and maintains our legacy as a nation of BUILDERS is worth their weight in gold.
My .02
Bill J

Tim Marks
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Does that make me a stalker?:rolleyes:
Only if you start plotting how you will swing by his house on your next vacation in the hopes of seeing him as he mows his lawn...

And I think his show rocks... my 5 yo loves his show too, and if it helps get him hooked on woodworking, more power to him... He would rather watch that then cartoons...

Michael Gibbons
01-23-2008, 1:25 PM
If you guys (and gals) want to do some reading, here are three atricles for you to look up

Woodworkers Journal
April 2007

Popular Woodworking
August 2005

Fine Woodworking
March/April 1993

The first two should be able to be bought through their website.

The FWW article is one I had to purchase seperately through the magazine. I don't know if they still sell individaul articles anymore.

Plus Norm's five NYW books, plus his house book and the "Measure twice,cut once" book should satisfy almost everyone. Lost of info in them thar pages.