PDA

View Full Version : not for sissies-ultimate dovetail saw

James Nolan
01-18-2008, 8:57 PM
I'm no jedi master of the hand cut dovetail, but after goofing around the past year or so with neanderthal methods, I think I've struck pay dirt with a saw that should rival any of those fancy high priced hand saws that so many seem to be oohhing and ahhhing over. Found on e-bay was a surgical steel bone saw listed under medical tools. Bought one on a whim(always looking for that unothadox approach), wow seems to work better than any of the saws I own or have test driven, and it even could stand a bit of tweaking. Granted I only cut a joint consisting of 4 complete with some poplar scrap i had kicking around, I was quite pleased with the results. I do have an upcoming project where i can really put it to test but for now looks like this may be a true gem. What have you folks incorporated into your chest that seem crazy at first glance but turns into that special tool? Almost forgot to mention the bone saw with shipping was <$25.00

Lee Hingle
01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
How about a pic James? Are these saws for sale on a regular basis or was this some sort of antique/1 time deal?

Brian Kent
01-19-2008, 12:31 AM
James, could you show us a picture of that one? I checked out a few on e-bay and they looked fascinating.

Jeff Wittrock
01-19-2008, 8:23 AM
Using a bone saw to cut wood... Great idea.

I remember when I was in high school, I used to go dear hunting each year. I used my dad's crosscut saw (I don't remember what it was, not a disston I hope) to split the deer in half down the spine. I think I cleaned it when I was done.

-Jeff

Rob Bodenschatz
01-19-2008, 8:43 AM
No one is going to believe you actually have one of these unless you post a pic.

Bill Brehme
01-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Gloats 'round here ring pretty hollow w/o the flick...:(

John Daugherty
01-20-2008, 8:55 AM
Using a bone saw to cut wood... Great idea.

I remember when I was in high school, I used to go dear hunting each year. I used my dad's crosscut saw (I don't remember what it was, not a disston I hope) to split the deer in half down the spine. I think I cleaned it when I was done.

-Jeff

I hope it wasn't your future wife:eek:

couldn't resist :)

Jeff Wittrock
01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I hope it wasn't your future wife:eek:

couldn't resist :)

...dear :rolleyes:. Oh well. I guess I aught to get me one of them edumacations. I aint never been much fur spellin.

Hank Knight
01-20-2008, 1:13 PM
...dear :rolleyes:. Oh well. I guess I aught to get me one of them edumacations. I aint never been much fur spellin.

Tri Hukt on Foniks. It werked fer me.

James Nolan
01-21-2008, 12:21 AM
I'll be glad to post pic, if someone could tell me how to(I'm pretty dumb with computers, I use a 1st gen Macbook and iPhone), these were outgrown by my step son, I won't ask him how to use his tools until he will ask me how to use mine. Sorry if there were several mistakes in in my initial post, never had the opportunity to get a degree and goof around in a fancy workshop on weekends, just do this for a living. Ciao J......

Justin Bukoski
01-22-2008, 12:43 PM
James, use the iPhone to take a picture of the saw. Put the iPhone on the dock that connects it to your computer. Open up iPhoto and look on the left-hand side and you will see the iPhone under "Devices". Click on the iPhone and you will see your picture. Click on the picture and then down at the bottom click on the button that says "Import Selected" it will ask you if you want to keep or delete originals. I suggest you delete it.

Now, on the left hand side above the iPhone you will see a "Last Import" icon. Click on that and your photo will be in there. Click on the photo and then drag it to the desktop. It should have a name like IMG_0001.JPG or something like that.

When you come here to post, click manage attachments, click browse and then choose the file IMG_0001.JPG (or whatever the name is)

PM me if you need more help.

John Schreiber
01-24-2008, 9:55 AM
Easier than posting a picture, post a link. Does it look like this?

https://www.upunder.com/webstore/store/catalog/55791.jpg

Looks like it could work.

Mark Stutz
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
James,
Looks like a very nice example of that type of saw. Seems to be pattered after the #9. My only concern would be the hang angle. I have found, for me, that I like a higher hang angle on my DT saw, but everybody works differently, and what is important is that it works for you.

Mark