PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Pen practice

Mike Vickery
01-18-2008, 4:46 PM
I am going to demonstrate some advanced pen turning at my next club meeting. The only problem is I think I have only made 3 or 4 pens in the past year, so I need some practice. Plus I really dont have any of the segmented pens I used to make left so I need some examples.

Here is my first practice pen.

The kit is an El Toro and the woods are Morado, bubinga with Maple veneers.

Critques are welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2008, 4:51 PM
Wow! That's practice? Mighty nice segment work Mike! Great looking pens - wonderful colors! You won't have any problems when it comes to a demo! Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2008, 4:59 PM
Well if that is your practice Mike I had better go hit the lathe. Wow that is a beauty Mike. You are not going to have any problems with the demo.

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 5:25 PM
Weellll if you are going to dispose of your practice I'll be happy to get them out of your way. Nice job. Looking forward to your unpractice work.:D

Arlan Ten Kley
01-18-2008, 5:26 PM
Excellent craftsmanship and subtle combination of woods and resulting colors. Pleasing picture also! I have not turned any pens....yet! You may have motivated me to round up some more equipment....

Tom Sherman
01-19-2008, 1:59 PM
Pretty nice practice piece Mike, looks like you'll have something to show.

Kevin McPeek
01-19-2008, 2:13 PM
Looks like practice time is up. We all know you are just making show pieces ;)
Looks great, as usual!

David Wilhelm
01-19-2008, 2:46 PM
Wish i could see that first hand!!!!

Brad Hammond
01-19-2008, 5:58 PM
geezeee,,,,,,, i'm with everyone else... practice??? gotta be kiddin! ha!

can you direct us toward a tutorial for seg pens?

Scott Hubl
01-19-2008, 6:32 PM
Now thats some kinda Practice!

I like it alot, I think your done practicing and hit a grand slam.

Mike Vickery
01-19-2008, 7:59 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments.

Don't take me wrong with the practice thing. I used to turn pens a lot, my first 3 years turning was almost all pens. I just have not done very many in the past couple of years.
I made this design quite a bit in the past and and I will tell you if you have the patience to build two jigs anyone can make these. The jigs are even very easy and do not have to be exact at all.

Kevin McPeek
01-19-2008, 9:47 PM
geezeee,,,,,,, i'm with everyone else... practice??? gotta be kiddin! ha!

can you direct us toward a tutorial for seg pens?
Mikes tutorial can be found here- http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/pens.html
Sorry if this in an inappropriate link.

Jon Lanier
01-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Mike,

I like it! It is quite elegant for a segment. ;)

David Walser
01-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Mike,

I look forward to your demo. I quit turning pens a couple of years ago (I'd run out of people to give them to), but you've inspired me to turn a few more. One question: Who makes the El Toro kit?

(For those of you who'll be in the Phoenix, Arizona, area on February 16th, feel free to drop in and catch Mike's demo.)

Mike Vickery
01-20-2008, 9:44 AM
Mike,

I look forward to your demo. I quit turning pens a couple of years ago (I'd run out of people to give them to), but you've inspired me to turn a few more. One question: Who makes the El Toro kit?

(For those of you who'll be in the Phoenix, Arizona, area on February 16th, feel free to drop in and catch Mike's demo.)

It is a Berea kits and I get mine from AZ Silhouette but any of the Berea resellers should have it. It is only a fountain pen they have a rollerball kit but it is called the el presidente or something like that.
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Berea_Hardwoods_Pen_Kit_Images_2.htm

I like using the El toro since the insert into the cap for the threads is a seperate piece, you can leave off the metal trim ring without having to modify anything.