PDA

View Full Version : Painting Acrylic

Jim Dornon
01-18-2008, 4:03 PM
Has anyone tried painting acryilic ? I am not having much luck. I paint one side and then enrave the painted side. Then repaint what I have engraved with a different color. I've been using rustolium rattle can for plastic. It looks great most of the time but sometimes it wrinkles, espeacially if it is one color over another. Anyone else using something different ? Jim

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2008, 4:24 PM
Krylon works better, especially the Fusion.

See also:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74100

Don't mix types of paint though, they are not always compatible with each other, when doing more than one color use the same brand and type.

Mike Null
01-18-2008, 9:05 PM
Also use Krylon and Dutch Boy acrylic.

Larry Bratton
01-18-2008, 9:26 PM
I've used the Rustoleum Metallic Gold with good success. I like the Rustoleum gold better than the Krylon. Some say that due to the chemical makeup of Krylon Fusion that it causes crazing on lasered pieces. I have not experienced that to any extent. I have found the Krylons to work well on acrylic as a general rule.

I made this wall ornament for the local YMCA and the gold is Rustoleum. The red in the triangle is Krylon. The background is printed inkjet media.

Mike Hood
01-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I use LOTS of fusion. Great stuff.

Scott Shepherd
01-19-2008, 9:06 AM
I don't know how you guys get away with the things you do! Larry, every time I mix Rustoleum and Krylon on a project, very bad things happen. VERY bad things. So bad it almost always requires a complete remake.

And I've had crazing happen with Fusion on clear extruded acrylic. Normal Krylon doesn't craze on me, but Fusion does.

I think it'll be safe to put on my tombstone "Here lies a guy who never understood paint or electricity, no matter how hard he tried" :)

Angus Hines
01-19-2008, 9:43 AM
The trick with RustOlium is it must be re-coated with-in 20-30 minutes or after 24 hours. (see directions on can, I screwed up about 10 different things before I did this....LOL). Or it will wrinkle every time.

Mike Hood
01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I use a LOT of clear acrylic here and I've had GREAT luck I guess with Fusion. I use the satin or flat black and apply 3 light coats. I then reverse engrave for backlit panels. Never had a problem. I've also been playing with using Fusion first, and then rolling on a heavier Rustoleum coat after that. So far so good and it blocks light wonderfully.

Larry Bratton
01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't know how you guys get away with the things you do! Larry, every time I mix Rustoleum and Krylon on a project, very bad things happen. VERY bad things. So bad it almost always requires a complete remake.

And I've had crazing happen with Fusion on clear extruded acrylic. Normal Krylon doesn't craze on me, but Fusion does.

I think it'll be safe to put on my tombstone "Here lies a guy who never understood paint or electricity, no matter how hard he tried" :)
Scott..guess I'm just lucky. I've still got one of the above medallions (that I made a mistake on and rejected it) but as far as the paint goes, it looks as good today as it did 2 months ago. And Angus, I didn't spray multiple coats on the Rustoleum. I laser cut the parts from 1/4" acrylic and painted them. I do believe though that it was cast and not extruded.We glued them to the back with Super Glue.
Also, that design was sent to me by the YMCA and it was on a printed broshure. I recreated the whole thing in Corel. They gave these things away as awards to their largest contributors. (Ha, after making this thing and what I sold it for..I should qualify!:)

Linda Forte
01-19-2008, 2:52 PM
I've had success with spray plastic primer before painting acrylic. Make sure the surface is very clean, though.

Linda

Larry Bratton
01-19-2008, 6:21 PM
I've had success with spray plastic primer before painting acrylic. Make sure the surface is very clean, though.

Linda
Linda:
What brand of primer?