PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 15/30 Widebelt Model 55225.

C Scott McDonald
01-18-2008, 2:54 PM
Hey folks,

Has anybody bought, tried, seen a demo with this machine? I saw one at Tool King and it looked like a solid unit. Which of course doesnt mean much until I can see it run and sand something. Thought it would be a nice upgrade from a drum sander. Maybe the paper would last a little longer and could a little faster then a drum sander. They sell for less then 2K. I like its small foot print. I only have a 400 Sq ft shop so floor space is at a preimum.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=10&tool=55225

Thanks!

Scott

Brad Shipton
01-18-2008, 3:03 PM
I am interested in this too for the obvious price savings and the same space problem. About 1/2 price of the other 15" open end wide belts. I looked at the specs, and it only has a 3hp motor, no platen to increase the surface area of the belt in contact with the piece, shorter belt than some others and it uses a mechanical oscillator instead of air on most bigger machines. My rep said he sells them mainly to schools, so I doubt those see a lot of use. Hopefully someone will shed some light on this.

Brad

Steve Kohn
01-18-2008, 9:52 PM
Not to hijack this thread but Grizzly has just introduced their version (G0644) for a couple of hundred dollars more.

Has anyone used either machine? Like the other posters I am also interested in a small wide belt sander.

Brad Shipton
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Bump. Come on, someone owns one of these. PLZ.

Steve, thanks for the Griz tip.

Brad Shipton
01-22-2008, 6:51 PM
I chatted with a couple members on another forum that own 5hp Open End versions, one Grizzly another a Sunhill. One mentioned the motor strains when feeding 15" wide stock through and trying to remove around 1/64" with the 5hp motor. The general consensus I read into their remarks was that 3hp may be a little small for headache free sanding. The fellow with the 5hp Grizzly really likes his and opted for it because it has a platten to improve the sanding quality.

Brad