View Full Version : Newb question

Dave Stoler
01-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I think I know the answer before I ask ,but here goes anyway.
Can I regrind a spindle gouge into a bowl gouge by just extending the flute up the side?

Robert McGowen
01-18-2008, 1:02 PM
I would say no, because it has a lot to do with the way that the shank is designed (round or flat) and inserted into the handle as opposed to just the way that the end is ground. Of course, everyone probably does stuff that they should not do any way, so who knows........ :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2008, 3:24 PM
I would agree with Robert. No I would not try to make it a bowl gouge.

Gordon Seto
01-18-2008, 3:48 PM
No, you can put a fingernail grind to it to have the same top view. But spindle gouge flute is shallow; so there is no flute up the side. You can rotate the gouge on its side in some bowl work with limitations. That is far from a full function bowl gouge.

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 4:28 PM
If you look at both a spindle gouge and a bowl gouge from the business end, you'll note that they are very different animals in circular profile. There are some operations where a modified spindle gouge can be used for certain types of detail work on bowls and vessels, but they are not suited to the heavy cutting one does to create typical bowl and hollow forms, particularly when the grain is across the axis of the lathe. (Faceplate orientation) They can be a little more useful on end-grain forms, especially when small, but even then, a side-grind bowl gouge is the better tool for the job in general.

Dave Stoler
01-18-2008, 5:35 PM
My new Thompson V groove bowl gouge got me wondering.It,s a great tool and made me want to try the U shade also, and there sat my spindle gouge ..:rolleyes: Now I,m enlightened.

robert hainstock
01-18-2008, 6:18 PM
No! Tried it, rrealy bad idea. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Bob