PDA

View Full Version : Pin nailers

Dave Bureau
01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on a pin nailer. I'm looking for the longest pin available (1 3/4- 2''?) is there anything out there that will shoot that size? and will it shoot that long a pin into hard wood?
Dave

Matt Meiser
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I just saw an ad that the Grex will now shoot 2" pins.

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Grex, Nickel, etc., all have "long" pin pinners. Do be careful when you go "long", however. Grain following will be just as much concern (if not more) with this small and long 23 gage fasteners as it is with long 18 gage brads.

Peter Melanson
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I think is is Taunton that comes out with the the yearly magazine (2005,2006,2007) where they rate all different tools. One of the last couple years they specifically rated the pin nailers, so you may want to check there website to see if it is available or your bookshelf if your a freak like me and keep all the magazines i get for years. Hope this helps.

Peter

Dave Bureau
01-18-2008, 1:28 PM
Thanks, going to get a Grex now at woodcraft supply. plus i got a 10% off coupon for my birthday month from them. I'll let you know how it works. I got some jatoba. I'll try shooting through a 2" thick piece. that shoould be a good test.
Dave

David Duke
01-18-2008, 1:36 PM
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Grex, I just got one 2-3 months ago and really like how it performs. When I first got it I pulled out the knarliest red oak I could find and it shot 1.5" pins (I got the smaller gun) straight through; with my PC 18g brad gun 1" brads were turning around and coming out the top!!!!!!

Bill Ryall
01-18-2008, 2:13 PM
I have the Bostich. It will handle the long pins. I like it, and have had no problems except a long pin following the grain thru the wood and into my finger.

The Bostich is also a lot less expensive than the Grex or Nikle.

Bob Glenn
01-18-2008, 2:22 PM
I bought a cheapie the day after Thanksgiving on sale at Lowes. Compressor and nailer for 49 bucks. No problems so far shooting 1 and 1/2 inch, eighteen guage pins. However, I'm remodeling a house and using it for molding. I have shot some into really old 2x4 wall studs with out problem except for the occasional turn out.

frank shic
01-18-2008, 2:33 PM
the grex 23 gauge pinner is great for tacking raised panel doors together while the glue is drying allowing you to free up some clamps.

Bruce Page
01-18-2008, 2:40 PM
Ditto the Grex 23 gauge pinner. I don't use mine alot but it always works perfectly when I do.

Jay Albrandt
01-18-2008, 3:41 PM
Hey Dave,

Did a lot of research and just got the Grex p650. I ordered from thefastenercompany.com. I had the gun at my door in less than 24 hours.
Came with 12,000 pins of a variety of lengths.

Good Luck.

J

Ken Deckelman
01-18-2008, 3:47 PM
I bought a cheapie the day after Thanksgiving on sale at Lowes. Compressor and nailer for 49 bucks. No problems so far shooting 1 and 1/2 inch, eighteen guage pins. However, I'm remodeling a house and using it for molding. I have shot some into really old 2x4 wall studs with out problem except for the occasional turn out.

The 18 gauge nailer you have is considered a "Brad Nailer", the "Pin nailer's" shoot 23 gauge headless pins.

I have an old Senco Accuset, the one without the safety. While it works OK, I would like to get one that will shoot longer pins and has a safety.

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 4:43 PM
I have an old Senco Accuset, the one without the safety. While it works OK, I would like to get one that will shoot longer pins and has a safety.

Same one here and while it's done what I've needed/used it for, some additional length could be quite useful from time to time. A higher capacity gun is on my "nice to upgrade when I have the chance and money" list...

Dave Bureau
01-18-2008, 8:28 PM
Thanks all
I just went and got a grex p650. I tried shooting a 2" pin into 3, 3/4" thick boards of poplar. No problem. same with cherry, no proplem. I tried the same with Ipe and it wouldnt nail. about the last 1/2" bent over. will nail 1 1/2" of Ipe ok though. all in all i think it worked great. It will never be seeing 2" thick hard wood like that anyway.
Dave