PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Routers

Jason Scott
01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey all,

Just got my UPS box with my new Dewalt variable speed plunge router. Only problem is I do not know anything about variable speed. Can you all help me, or point me to an article or something describing what woods/cut require what speeds? I am at a loss, I have always just had an old craftsman that you hit the trigger and held on. Thanks,

Jason

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Small diameter bits are used at higher speed where as large diameter bits are slowed down. That's the main use for the variable speed.;)

Chris Padilla
01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
In general, the larger the bit, the slower the speed. For the MOST PART, you will use the highest speed on your router but if you start getting into panel cutters or other larger bits, you'll want to start slowing down the speed. I don't have a handy rule-of-thumb at hand but I'm sure someone will post such info.

Jason Scott
01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep searching the net hopefully someone will have a link to some good info. I just like to learn all about something before I get into it...Thanks again

Glenn Clabo
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Check this out also...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72270

Nissim Avrahami
01-18-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html

Just Google "Router bit speed" and you'll get a few but they are essentially the same.

niki

Joe Close
01-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Might check your manual. I just bought a Bosch 1617 about a week ago. There was a guide in the manual outlining what speeds to use for what conditions. It basically echo'd what everyone else on this thread is saying.

Jason Scott
01-18-2008, 1:03 PM
Wow, thanks guys, so I guess for me I'll always be about on the high setting...I am using it mainly for inlays and routing edges in walnut, either roman ogee or round over usually.

Paul Engle
01-18-2008, 1:10 PM
Like this tip Jason, when I am routing oak plaques ( 16 x 44 " etc ,large ovals) I slow down the 5/8 round over bit ,to my Bosch's slowest speed to keep from burning the wood untill shape is done , then fire it up to 25m rpm for a final clean up pass. I HATE sanding burn Oak spots, I also got some test samples and tried different speeds on different woods to see what happend/s.

Bill Huber
01-18-2008, 1:12 PM
But there are sometimes when you need to slow a small bit down.
Like on a cutting board made of maple and purpleheart, if you try and round-over the edges or cut a groove in then the higher speed will burn the wood if you even slow down a little on your cut.

Bob Goldsmith
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Agree with Bill on that. I did a number of cutting boards over XMAS and when I slowed down my laminate trimmer by a couple two or three clicks, I noticed some of the burning I was getting when initially starting the round-overs on each side became minimal to none.

pat warner
01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Notes on speed no.5 Faq (http://patwarner.com/faq.html).

Jason Scott
01-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks Pat, great read!