PDA

View Full Version : C.I. Fall Mortising Chisels

Circa Bellum
01-18-2008, 10:29 AM
anybody heard of this brand of mortising chisels? I found them at
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/default.php/cPath/39_172_471 and they seem to be very inexpensive, comparatively speaking. They look really good too. Thoughts?

Joe D'Attilio
01-18-2008, 11:16 AM
As I am new and the wallet doesn't allow alot of room right now - I'm also interested in knowing if these are a good set

Brian Kent
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I looked at the same set last year. At that time no-one here had tried them, but i too would like to know how they do.

James Mittlefehldt
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Never heard of that company, (but I don't get out much) however in looking at the rest of their catalogue they seem to stock quality stuff, and what I know of their stock from other vendors their prices are more or less in line with other places.

I am sure that someone from Europe would have an idea, but based on the price I would say they are worth a look. If that vendor has a good return policy then get one or all three and try them.

They look good, but then catalogues always do don't they.

Should also add if you do buy them you are now honour bound to report back with a review of them, if I didn't already have some Hirsch MOrtise chisels, (which I like very much) then I would be tempted to buy them on spec and try them myself.

Jon Toebbe
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I looked long and hard at them, but ended up trying the MHG mortising chisels sold by Hartville Tools. The big advantage for me was that the MHG's come in imperial sizes. I'll post a more in depth review once I get a chance to use them some.

Short version: they seem to work well, though I managed to booger up the edges since I didn't grind a secondary bevel on them when I sharpened them. They came from the factory ground at 25 degrees. I'll be trying them with a proper 35 degree secondary bevel "real soon now."

I'd say give the C.I. Fall a try. If they're junk, you can always return them and we'll all be the wiser for it. That was my theory with the MHG brand, at any rate.

Cheers,
Jon

lowell holmes
01-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I recently attended a Windsor chair class in Waco, Texas. The school there had catalogs from Traditional Woodworker and held them in high regard. I would not be afraid to order one chisel from them and see how I liked it and then go from there.

Steve Wargo
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
CI Falls is a very good company. I had a nice set of Auger bits that were of outstanding quality. Looks like a good bargain to me.

Circa Bellum
01-18-2008, 5:25 PM
I went ahead and ordered them. I'll let you know what I think when they come in.

Thomas Knighton
01-18-2008, 5:45 PM
I went ahead and ordered them. I'll let you know what I think when they come in.

Please do. I've been thinking about getting a set of them myself, but I'm kind of on the fence about it.

Tom

Mike K Wenzloff
01-18-2008, 6:00 PM
anybody heard of this brand of mortising chisels? I found them at
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/default.php/cPath/39_172_471 and they seem to be very inexpensive, comparatively speaking. They look really good too. Thoughts?

One thing to consider with a mortise chisel is that there ought to be a bolster, which these do not have. Instead it is a tanged chisel and the shoulder abuts the end of the handle (and ferrule). It will fail at some point. Mortise chisels are made (ought to be made) to beat on.

If one pre-drills the mortise, simply use bevel-edged or firmer chisels. But if you want to beat on a mortise chisel, you are better off with either the Sorby, the LN socket (those two are sash mortise chisels and work fine) or the heavier duty Ray Iles at Tools for Working Wood.

If the money is an issue, pick only one or two of the sizes you will use the most. For instance, a 5/16" Iles can be used on a very broad range of work. I probably use my 1/4" and 3/8" way more than the other sizes I have (mine are vintage OBM chisels, which the Iles are patterned after).

Take care, Mike

Joe Meazle
01-18-2008, 6:37 PM
I asked the same question a year or less ago. I decided to hold off after reading the same response from Mike W. but I do have a set of Record registered chiels to get me by in the mean time.