PDA

View Full Version : MDF as Substrate

Darrin Davis
01-18-2008, 9:06 AM
Are there any problems with gluing veneers to MDF as the substrate?

Bill White
01-18-2008, 9:14 AM
Nope. Some of the large "factory" cab cos. do it all the time. Dimensional stability.
Bill

Mike Wilkins
01-18-2008, 10:03 AM
MDF makes a great substrate for veneering. I just completed a coffee table using Anigre veneer over MDF. I also veneered the backside with another species, but I have heard that w/MDF this is not necessary. I was just being safe. But it worked great. Go for it.
Stay safe and watch those fingers.

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 11:24 AM
No problems. ALL the door panels in my recent vanity projects were based on MDF for the substrates. But with any substrate, you need to do both sides. There is inexpensive "backer" veneer available for those applications if it's not a "show" side, too.

Chris Padilla
01-18-2008, 11:46 AM
The only thing I worry about with MDF is any sort of water penetration. MDF doesn't deal well with water...it likes to swell up pretty good. MDF is also heavier than plywood.

Chris Yarish
01-18-2008, 4:29 PM
How about veneering the edges of mdf? I know that when painting it, you have to "seal" it with drywall mud or some other smoothing compoud, but does it receive the adhesives from veneering in the same manner?

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 4:34 PM
How about veneering the edges of mdf? I know that when painting it, you have to "seal" it with drywall mud or some other smoothing compoud, but does it receive the adhesives from veneering in the same manner?

A good friend of mine routinely uses MDF core veneered sheet goods for his cabinet business and has no problems edge banding. He uses the typical (Freud) edge bander and standard pre-glued edge band material.

Jesse Cloud
01-18-2008, 6:14 PM
MDF is all I ever use for veneering. Try Tite-bond cold press glue, works great with MDF.