PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood dealers near Roanoke VA

Lou Ferrarini
01-18-2008, 8:43 AM
Does anyone know of any hardwood dealers near Roanoke VA? I recently moved to the area and the closest dealer I could find on Woodfinder was about 60 miles away. (Thats if you don't count Woodcraft, and thats not the place to go if you need 100 BF of red oak)

Thanks

Randy Cohen
01-18-2008, 9:20 AM
you could try Griffith Lumber in Woolwine. but that may be too far for you. i've never been there. it is a sawmill but they advertise that they have dried lumber.276-930-2727.
there is Turmans which I think is in Radford. You could try them but they deal with mostly big orders. they are also a sawmill.

M Toupin
01-18-2008, 7:11 PM
Try Northland Forrest products, 220 Zion Park Road, Troy, VA . It's a little ways from Roanoke, but I make the drive from Hampton when I need anything over 25 or 30bf. Price, quality and selection of domestics are great. Even with the drive it's generally cost effective and I enjoy the small mill feel and knowledgeable folks.

Mike

Brandon Shew
01-18-2008, 9:30 PM
I was in school in Blacksburg, but I wasn't woodworking then so I can't help you too much out there. In that part of the state, I'd think someone somewhere would have a small mill.

Mike - Have you tried either Yukon or Bubas in Norfolk?

Yukon can be a little pricey on their exotics, but their domestics aren't terrible. I know the owner so that helps a little too.

Bubas is a local tree guy that has a saw mill and kiln. My brother used him for some trees and that was how I came across his operation. Everything he has is local hardwood and he has some nice stuff for very reasonable prices - and he'll negotiate. PM me for his number.

Randy Cohen
01-18-2008, 9:56 PM
there are many people with their own mills. I live in Floyd Co and have seen some around.

M Toupin
01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Mike - Have you tried either Yukon or Bubba in Norfolk?

Yukon can be a little pricey on their exotics, but their domestics aren't terrible. I know the owner so that helps a little too.

Bubas is a local tree guy that has a saw mill and kiln. My brother used him for some trees and that was how I came across his operation. Everything he has is local hardwood and he has some nice stuff for very reasonable prices - and he'll negotiate. PM me for his number.

I only use Yukon if I absolutely have to. All in all I find their prices high and the quality sub par. Just my perception, may be right, maybe wrong, but that's how I take it.

I'm definitely interested in Bubba, I'll PM you!

Mike

Bruce Wrenn
01-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Roanoke Plywood and Plastics. May be called Wurth Group now. 701 Gainsboro Rd NW, Roanoke VA, 24016. Phone # 540- 344-2079. In Raleigh we have a sister operation, formerly know as "Raleigh Hardwoods". Called Wurth Group now.

Randy Cohen
01-19-2008, 7:33 AM
nice find Bruce.

M Toupin
01-19-2008, 1:16 PM
For sheet goods the Wurth Group, Plywood and Plastics has excellent quality, at least here in the Norfolk location. It's the only place I buy sheet goods from. Lots of selection and lots of stock on hand. I've never had to settle for anything less than perfect sheets. I'd assume they are just as good on your end of the state.

Mike

Lou Ferrarini
01-19-2008, 2:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I used to use Yukon Lumber when I lived in Chesapeake. I also found thier wood to be sub-par. The guy at the local Woodcraft here in Roanoke also recommended Wurth. Guess I'll go check them out Monday.