PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
01-18-2008, 7:02 AM
Friday January 18, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

After last weeks mental melt down, on my part, as to which day of the week it was, you'll note that this is really FRIDAY.

We had another 5+ inches of snow yesterday and now we are going into the deep freeze. +2 this morning with temps going even lower over the next few days. Minus 10 predicted for Sunday morning with game time temps just above zero.

Too cold to try and heat the shop up, so I'll be finding things to do inside Saturday. The hardest part will be figuring out which of the myriad of projects there are to do, which will I choose?

Of course Sunday afternoon will be spent glued to the TV watching, what I think will be, a couple of very good games. Phyllis, make sure you dress warm. Maybe you'll be seated next to the guys that always take off their shirts. If so make sure you wave when the cameras show them.

So what's happening in your neck of the woods? What are you going to be up to?

Whatever it may be, make it enjoyable and as always BE SAFE.

Phyllis, this is for you.......

Karl

David Duke
01-18-2008, 7:40 AM
Morning Karl, and I have to agree it is Friday :D:D;) .

If the weather cooperates I hope to get the rest of the material for the set of cabinets I'll be building today. These are for SWMBO and we have been having some difficulty in agree on design but think we finally have it worked out (guess who won). If I can get the material today (its suppose to rain all day) I'll begin building these this weekend, I'll have all weekend to play with because we have nothing else planned.

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!

alex grams
01-18-2008, 8:04 AM
SWMBO wants some doors painted in the house, so that will be in the list somewhere. Am going to also buy material to extend the wooden fence along the side of the house.

My main project is to get some MDF and start making forms for the curved table skirt on the breakfast table I am making. I just got the top planks glued up last night and will sand them down today and round off the corners of the table. This will be my first work with resawing and glueing up curved wood, so i am sure it will take a while for me to work through the process. I just need to level up the bandsaw so i can rip 8" wide stock evenly.

Err. other than that, maybe make a shelf for the radio in the garage and get it out of being near the floor. Also do some patchwork in the entry way (just retiled it and am going to replace the molding, but need to replace some drywall along the floor first that is busted up).

Of course, i always take the list of what i think i can get done, cut it in half, and that is what i realistically expect to be able to finish.

Al Willits
01-18-2008, 8:09 AM
Last night I went and picked up my drum sander from Rockler, I now have it about half assembled but need caster for the bench that came with it, you ain't dragging this puppy around easily with out wheels...:D

Sat morn is down at Mr. Richards place in Rochester for a quick visit, then back at assembling the DS, and spending time keeping a eye on our dog, she's having a bit of a tough time, hopefully just one of the peaks and valleys she's been going though.

Sunday will be playing with the sander some more, I have about 8 panels that need some sanding for the TV stand, and maybe listen to the Vikes wail on Green Bay......er....oh..that's right, the queens didn't quite make it this year..or last .. or....:(

For those in the Midwest, gonna be a bit cool out so take a sweater along if ya go anywhere...:)

Actually would be a good time to make sure you have enough stuff in the vehicles in case you do break down, be well and be safe.

Al

Tyler Howell
01-18-2008, 8:33 AM
In town this weekend. Slopping paint and packing up stuff. Have to clean up after the emergency water heater replacement:(.
Going to try and stay warm:eek: -24* predicted.

Greg Cole
01-18-2008, 9:01 AM
Nothing on the WW'ing front for my weekend. Headed to San Francisco for a short visit with my oldest sister... literally going for nothing more than to accept the offer of a great seat at the Red Wings and San Jose Sharks game tomorrow night. Long ways for a hockey game most of you will say, but I am a HUGE Wings fan & puckhead. Fair trade for the hall table I've got going for her.... she even bought the plane ticket too... the Wings tickets she manages to get for free, her boss seems to have connections with someone many of us are familiar with...think Microsoft.
We get use of the luxury suite "Mr Microsoft" owns in the "Shark Tank". So this small town redneck will have to try to be well behaved this time... last time we ran out of "refreshments" and had to have some more delivered, but since it was after the 2nd period ended, they only restocked the fridge with 2 cases.:confused: Free beer, free food, free hockey and round trip airfare.... life is good. Oh yeah I get to see my fav sister too.;)

Cheers.

Greg

Jesse Espe
01-18-2008, 9:12 AM
About a month ago, I moved my family up from Virginia Beach to Woodbridge, VA, including my shop. Like any garage at the end of a move, it gets flooded with boxes, misc. random stuff, etc. I've made okay progress overall, but on Saturday, I'm declaring jihad on my garage chaos until I get my shop back. I'm still finding stuff the movers broke, so the process is slow-going, inspecting everything for the insurance claim.

Sunday, I'll do more of the same until the afternoon. Hoping for a New England vs. Green Bay showdown...

Don Bullock
01-18-2008, 9:20 AM
All I have scheduled are three dog show. If our girl wins Best of Breed they will be all day affairs (which would be great), if not I hope to squeeze in some shop time as a consolation.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Dinner tonight with some friends.

This weekend....get on with installing the DC.

Lee Koepke
01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
we are getting rain and snow again in the ATL. perfect basement WW day I presume.

I may build some jigs this weekend. Crosscut sled, dado jig for router....basically ME time !!!!

julie Graf
01-18-2008, 10:29 AM
besides shoving wood in the wood stove every 30 minutes to fend off the cold and tending to our new dog which was just spayed -
i'll be gluing up a bunch of the ash for a bedroom set and milling out some rough wenge (a first, i've always gotten it s4s -yes, i'm wearing gloves 'cause the splinters are nasty!!!!) for the drawer fronts and inlay.

hope everyone stays warm!

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I'll be finishing up on a segmented turning I've been on for a couple weeks now and I'll be back on the never ending Humidor. I look forward to posting pics of the finished Humi. Maby another week or 3.:D

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Well...despite the fact that it's going to get VERY cold outside, I have a could nightstands to finish, literally, so I'll probably bite the bullet and put some of the heat on in the shop tonight so I can have a comfortable working environment tomorrow. Assuming I can get that done on Saturday, I'll shoot for starting some additional cabinetry on Sunday as well as deal with some drywall mud work in the Great Room where I ripped out those ugly barn wood cabinets. I will also be working on terminating some of the LAN and cable infrastructure for the addition in-between this and that.

There will probably be a "family movie" one night, too...

Sam Yerardi
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I have the next three days off so I plan on being out in the shop a lot. I want to finish my daughter's hope chest and start a couple new projects. My daughter's getting married and wants me to build her a kitchen table, hutch and four chairs. I don't have enough lumber on hand to do it all (maple) but I will try to start with what I have.

Phyllis Meyer
01-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Karl,

I love it! How did you know what I looked like? We do have a lot of work to do in the shop on Saturday, but the mind is elsewhere...Lambeau Field! Off to buy more toe warmers:D:)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Phyllis:)

Craig Thompson
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Friday eve = Family Ski... late night install of the just finished mantle for the living room.
Saturday = Spraying all the show items for our kitchen
Sunday = Spraying all the show items for our kitchen
Sunday Eve........ Hoping 1 weekend is enough time to do all the spraying.

Nancy Laird
01-18-2008, 1:18 PM
Started at 5:30 a.m. with a wake-up call to head to the VA hospital for 7:30 ultrasound for LOML and shoulder x-ray for me---think I've torn my rotator cuff!! Finally home, going to putter in the workshop and try to finish up a couple of laser orders so I can deliver on Monday. Dinner out tonight with friends, then just play it by ear all weekend in the shop--maybe help LOML with one of his projects--I need to accumulate some good points so he'll start the build for my in-house office: new file cabinets, a long countertop, and a computer hutch.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and stays warm. It's cold here in NM too - about 17* this a.m. with a stiff breeze that drops the "feels like" temp down to about 10 or less. But...supposed to warm up by Sunday to a balmy 35 or so.

Nancy

George Bregar
01-18-2008, 1:28 PM
Heading back nort' to finish an inventory of what's needed. Insurance company cut a check for $10K for the frozen pipe damage, looks like I can do a complete PEX install, remodel the whole downstairs (carpet, drywall, add a BR, doors, trim) and build out my garage shop with the money if I DIY. :D Stop at Menard's for one big order!

Then back home Sunday to become a Giants fan...I know I live in Packerland but grew up and lived 30 years in Chicago. Bet Packer fans are happy they play NY instead of the Bears for a trip to the show! ;)

Greg Just
01-18-2008, 1:49 PM
I'm going to finish building the mantel in the basement and get my DC system all hooked up. Then on to a long delayed project of building a router table. Oh, and then there is a couple of football games to watch! :D