PDA

View Full Version : hello and help my thinkin...long...sorry

Tony Kent
01-18-2008, 4:42 AM
Hello all,
Sadly it has been over a year since I have turned a thing. I have now made the decision to make a mini shop and use it until i can get my larger shop built. here is the prob, I can't remember what all i need so i thought I would post here what i have so far and maybe you folks could fill in the blanks..(pardon the pun...hehhee)
1,I bought the HF lathe for 199.99(was on sale so figured what the heck I'd get it instead of the jet 1220)
2, I have a cheapo grinder for now
3, I just bought an upgraded bandsaw (figured might as well get what i want instead of going backwards on this one, grizz. ultimate 14" with the thingy to expand to 12" resaw.
4. I have enough tools, 1/4, 1/2 bowl gouges, 2 monster 1/2" thick scrapers, 1 parting tool.
5. Bought the barracuda chuck with assorted jaws.(what a great deal)
6. 1 live center set and 1. 4 prong drive center.
Will be getting sand paper, DNA and other finishing stuff.
I know I am missing something, but can't put my finger on it......HELP!!!!! LOL Anything you might see that I am missing please let me know. I feel like i am starting from scratch since it's been so long since i turned anything.
Thanks so much in advance,
Tony.
PS My sis lost an apple tree...perhaps 16-20 in dia. It is a very old one.....what should i do to preserve it? I don't have any end grain sealer.....eeesh they were gonna cut it up and burn it....EEEEK!!!! Will let ya know what condition it is in. Thanks for info there too.

Barry Elder
01-18-2008, 5:21 AM
What kind of safety gear do you have? Respirator? Face Shield? Safety Glasses? Probably the least expensive thing you can do is join a turning club and/or find a mentor to help you progress much faster. You can locate wood faster than you can turn it so you do need some endgrain sealer so you can store it without it becoming firewood.

Tony Kent
01-18-2008, 5:58 AM
Hello Barry,
Ack..safety equipment....knew i was missin somethin. thanks for the reply and suggestions. I think I will head over to woodcraft tomorrow for that and end grain sealer.
I will look for a club nearby also.
Thanks so much,
Tony

Rich Stewart
01-18-2008, 8:53 AM
One thing I wish I had gotten right off is a buffing system. Really, REALLY makes a big difference. Get it. You won't be sorry.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2008, 9:11 AM
Tony I would also look at the wolverine jig for sharpening. It sure makes it easy and repeatable when sharpening tools.

Bill Embrey
01-18-2008, 9:32 AM
I second Bernie... turning became much more enjoyable after the wolverine jig...

Tony Kent
01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the replies guys. Where is a good place to get the wolverine(best price) and the beal buff system? Do I get the beal for the lathe or find a 1750 motor? On the lathe seems easier to me at the moment since I am setting up a mini shop. Plus do I get the bowl buffs also? Perhaps i should make the drive to woodcraft today? I am really happy and can't wait to get to turning again so what ever you all suggest as to where to get these is appreciated!!
Tony
PS after thought.....is the beal buff system something i can make myself by buying the buffing wheels etc or is it worth it to just buy the actual system. I have been very impressed with the turners that use the beal buff thats for sure :)

Bill Embrey
01-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Tony, I use the Beal 3 on system (all three wheels on the lathe) and have been very pleased with it... since my foray into bowls, I also purchased the individual 3" bowl buffs and use them on the lathe with a jacobs chuck.

You could buy three wheels and do it yourself... but I've found the Beal tools and buff systems to be very well thought out and designed... they've done the trial and error for you

Rich Stewart
01-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Somebody gave me a slow speed motor and that's what i use. I'm not familiar with the way you mount them on your lathe. I've seen pictures but never paid much attention. I did learn from experience to just go ahead and get what you want. You are going to get it anyway, either now or later. I think if I had just gone ahead and got everything i could think of at once I would have saved a HECKUVALOT in S&H charges. Have you thought about pen turning stuff. mandrel, bushings, pen kits? They are a lot of fun and a quick project for when you don't have a lot of time but feel like doing something. How about CA glue? Probably be a good thing to have around. Jacobs chuck? Forstner bits? Drill bits for pen blanks? I think I spent a lot of money on chisels that I never use. I have several tools that I use all the time and I have a bunch of tools I hardly ever touch. Well, that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll think of more. Hope it helps.

Rich

Tom Hamilton
01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Tony, it's always fun to spend other people's money so allow me to suggest a better grinder.

I upgraded my 6" 3750 rpm sears with white wheels and it was OK. My turning teacher suggested the 8" 1725 RPM version from Woodcraft. Comes with white wheels for $90. The wider wheels, (1 inch) and slower speed makes the sharpening process easier and with better results.

Mount it where you can get to it without much travel and you will turn and sharpen and be back on the lathe in seconds.

Best regards, Tom

Jim Underwood
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
If you can't get Anchor Seal, then use some cheap latex paint to seal up the ends of that Apple ASAP. Paint stores usually have some mismixed stuff around for cheap.

The other thing to do is split it down the pith to keep the different drying rates of the inside and outside from wreaking havoc with the wood.

Leave it in the longest lengths possible if you're not going to rough it out immediatedly. You'll lose less to cracks.

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Bite the bullet and get a David Elsworth grind. You'll use it about 90% of the time.:D

Tony Kent
01-19-2008, 9:01 PM
Hello all,
I have decided to get the beal as mentioned. i will be getting the wolverine again,,,have one in storage but can't get to it :(. What I can't find is a good price on the CA. glue...wasn't there a a fellow woodturner selling it 1 or 2 years ago?
I can't find his site or remember his name so any help with CA glue will help. I am very close to being all set to turn again. Just need to put my lathe together, get safety stuff etc. I bought the Barracuda chuck...what a great deal and so far just lookin at it the fit and finish is very nice.
I got some wood today that looks to be getting a bit of spalt, I have no idea what kind of wood it is perhaps alder. I'll find out when i cut it up and if need be take pics and post here. Not even sure if they are turnable since there is some splitting, but at this point even if I get tiny amount who cares i just want to turn again its been way to long.
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions I can't tell you how much I appreciate you all being here and share the same passion.
Take care all and be safe turnin,
Tony

Joyce Baldauf
01-21-2008, 5:54 PM
Tony,

Here is a link for the CA glue. Great prices on large quantities.

http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html (http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html:)

David Wilhelm
01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Tony I have a large deep fry pot that i picked up at a yard sale for $2.00 I have it filled with wax. I warm it up and dip the ends of my wood in it what wont fit i paint with several coats. I am guessing you have a chainsaw. What about a hollowing tool?

Gordon Seto
01-22-2008, 8:13 AM
For bowls, I would use this style:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php
instead of the 3 in 1.
The 3 in 1 is more convenient for small items like pens and bottle stoppers; but it prevents you from using bowl buffs and limits your access to certain bowl shape.