PDA

View Full Version : Painting and glueing acrylic letters?

David Hirschfield
01-18-2008, 1:17 AM
I have 2 reception signs to do for a company and will glue painted acrylic letters on a clear acrylic background. The logos have specific colours which I have to mix and I intend to paint the acrylic before I cut it and then apply it to the background onto which I will engrave the lettering outline.

I've used automotive paint with success but the colours are limited. Any suggestions? I don't mind hand applying if I have to. Prefer not to though. The letters I've made this way in the past have not crazed at the edges it seems becase they were cut after the acrylic was painted.

Also, I can't use solvent glue because it shows when the letters are viewed from the side. I'm thinking of possibly using double sided adhesive film. Does clear silicone work? The signs are only about 45cm x 60cm each.

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2008, 8:07 AM
Clear silicone does work, try to keep it to the insides and not near the edges. If it does squirt out you can peel off the excess after it sets. On the other hand, double sided tape works fine too, if you use a strong one just a few pieces on each letter will hold it.

For indoors, typically I will spray the letters with acrylic latex using an HVLP gun, but you could use a foam roller too. Then I apply transfer tape to protect the paint when cutting. Often I use black acrylic so the edges stay black, bit other times I do cut first and spray the edges as well as the faces.

Acrylic latex sticks OK and holds up indoors but doesn't stick well enough for handling them much, so don't drop or bump them while installing. If you use a plastic primer it sticks better.

David Hirschfield
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info Joe. I never thought of using latex paint. When you say it doesn't handle well, do you mean the surface scratches or it tends to peel off the acrylic?

Thanks,
David

Joe Pelonio
01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
If you nick it the paint will come off (peel), not being able to penetrate the acrylic. If you have time let it dry several days before handling and it's better.