PDA

View Full Version : HD Rigid Brand?

matt dumney
01-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Anyone use or have a opinion on the Rigid 13" planer or 6" joiner that Home Depot is selling? The price seems good but...cheapo is cheapo.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I have the 3-Knife 13" Planer (R4330) and the 6-1/4" Jointer (JP0610). They're both excellent machines for the money. If they meet your needs and don't break the bank, you'll probably be as happy with them as I am. They are certainly not "cheapo" by any stretch of the imagination.

Paul

Joe Chritz
01-18-2008, 12:05 AM
I have had both. Both were good units and were only replaced to move up in capacity.

Joe

matt dumney
01-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Are the blades readily available?

Craig D Peltier
01-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Blades for planer can be found at some Hds. Complaints I have heard about jointer is thats its rather light and tippy at the ends of table. Good for shorter lengths. I have an Grizzly 8 inch with 76 inch table. Ive jointed many 8-10 foots on it up to 12/4 and its never came close to tipping.

"Michael Hinkel"
01-18-2008, 7:50 AM
I have the jointer and planer, no complaints.
Replacement Jointer blades from Sears

Jack Ganssle
01-18-2008, 7:53 AM
I have both and really like them. Replacement jointer knives from Amazon (Freud C400). Sometimes the knives are on sale; I got two sets recently for $16/set.

Mike Marcade
01-18-2008, 8:17 AM
I have an Grizzly 8 inch with 76 inch table. Ive jointed many 8-10 foots on it up to 12/4 and its never came close to tipping.

You gotta consider the weight difference here too. The grizzly tips the scales at more than 500 lbs. :eek:

Gary Warren
01-18-2008, 8:38 AM
I have the old 2 blade planer and absolutely love it. I have planed many board feet of mesquite wood with it and have yet to need to replace blades as they are reversible. Some HD's carry the blades but they can be found on line as well. I would love to have the 3 blade model but for my needs, I am very happy!

Tom Hargrove
01-18-2008, 8:43 AM
I have both the TS3650 Table Saw and the R4330 Planer. I found both to be good values for the money. Both were set up very accurately out of the box, and the saw has required little adjustment in the three years I have worked with it, remodeling my home and doing woodworking projects. The planer is only a month old, so I can't comment on long term performance. Ridgid Power Tools currently have a lifetime warranty.

If you decide to buy the planer, be careful what you buy. Many stores in the Chicago area have both the older two blade and newer three blade models in stock, and many of the the HD sales people don't realize there is a difference. Both models have the same SKU number, which was set by HD, not Ridgid. (I went to six stores before finding the three blade model at one, and it was hidden high up on a rack.) To make matters more confusing, some of the stores currently have the two blade model on display, but the hang tag indicates it is the three blade model!

Replacement blades for the "new" planer are nor readily available in HD stores, at least in the my area. However, they can be ordered through the customer service desk. I suspect as the two blade packages are sold, they will be replaced by the three blade package on the shelves.

Brian Penning
01-18-2008, 8:58 AM
Have had both the planer and jointer for couple of years now and would buy them again.
I'm continuously impressed with the Ridgid brand.

Art Mann
01-18-2008, 8:59 AM
I own and use both machines regularly. They have both performed as good or better than expected. If I ran across the older 2 blade planer, I would be tempted to buy it in preference to the new one because it comes with a stand and extra knives. I doubt if most people could tell the difference in the output between the two and if there is any, it can be erased quickly with a ROS.

frank shic
01-18-2008, 9:18 AM
i own both and they work great for stock preparation - you do not need a rolls royce brand here!

Tim Malyszko
01-18-2008, 9:30 AM
Thanks for the info. Are the blades readily available?

As others have stated, the knives are occassionally available at Home Depot. I have the older 2 knife planer and the jointer and purchased my jointer knives off Amazon.com - they were Freud jointer knives. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RK6T/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would suggest you buy a magnatized, jointer knife setup jig, which makes changing and aligning the jointer knife blades a breeze.

As far as the planer goes, I am just getting around to flipping the original blades after running well over 1000 BF through the planer.

I have been extremely pleased with both tools and would not hesitate to buy either again. I probably won't replace either until I we move and I either build a new shop or move into a place that has an adequate sized shop to handle a 12" jointer and a big stationary planer.

matt dumney
01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm generally a Grizzly fan and have looked at their G0452 which would certainly suit my needs but they kill there good pricing with the shipping cost. Of course, HD will add tax to there product so the price is probably close.

Is the Rigid a 3 knife?

matt dumney
01-18-2008, 10:45 AM
This forum is awesome! I appreciate the information. I will need to look at the one at our local store. I guess I'm not sure how many blades are in the one I looked at.

What is difference in the number of blades. I understand you would get more cuts per revolution but do they then slow down the rpm on the 3 blade?

Craig D Peltier
01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm generally a Grizzly fan and have looked at their G0452 which would certainly suit my needs but they kill there good pricing with the shipping cost. Of course, HD will add tax to there product so the price is probably close.

Is the Rigid a 3 knife?

Well look how heavy it is.I think it cost me about 850 shipped.

Craig D Peltier
01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
This forum is awesome! I appreciate the information. I will need to look at the one at our local store. I guess I'm not sure how many blades are in the one I looked at.

What is difference in the number of blades. I understand you would get more cuts per revolution but do they then slow down the rpm on the 3 blade?

Bottom line is smoother cut.

Greg Cole
01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I've had the TP1300 for long enough to know its a decent lunchbox for the price... then again I got mine new in da box for $0.00.:D
Even when I upgrade planers, I'll keep it.

Greg

Sean Troy
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
As others have stated, the knives are occassionally available at Home Depot. I have the older 2 knife planer and the jointer and purchased my jointer knives off Amazon.com - they were Freud jointer knives. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RK6T/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would suggest you buy a magnatized, jointer knife setup jig, which makes changing and aligning the jointer knife blades a breeze.

As far as the planer goes, I am just getting around to flipping the original blades after running well over 1000 BF through the planer.

I have been extremely pleased with both tools and would not hesitate to buy either again. I probably won't replace either until I we move and I either build a new shop or move into a place that has an adequate sized shop to handle a 12" jointer and a big stationary planer.

I,ve found a piece of glass and a good magnet work well for aligning the blades. Cheap also.

Art Mann
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
The new version has a 3 knife cutter head, but the older model has 2 knives. The number of knives is not as important as the numbr of cuts per inch. From what I have seen, the two planers produce pretty much the same result - that is excellent.