PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on which clearvue

Bob Antoniewicz
01-17-2008, 9:43 PM
Settled on a clearvue. Just which size is the question. CV1800 or CV Max. I normally subscribe to the view that buy what you need or somewhat better/more than you need and you only cry once. I have a 30'x24' shop (well, will have soon anyway). And I don't want to do this twice. Is the 1800 all I will ever use or is it better to go for the Max.

Big dust generators are teh MM300Smart, Double drum sander, small cnc (hopefully a slightly bigger one someday) and maybe someday a lathe someday, too.

I work alone usually - sometimes (rarely) a friend helps or works independently. And usually only one machine at a time otherwise unless I upgrade the CNC. That I might let run while doing other stuff.

Your thoughts?

Bob A.

Adam Grills
01-17-2008, 9:53 PM
Why not call Ed? He is very nice and will direct you to exactly what you need.
Grillzy

Doug Shepard
01-17-2008, 9:56 PM
Grillzy

My exact thoughts plus I wonder if his own shop setup isn't roughly equivalent.

Jim O'Dell
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I know Ed has used the 1800. He may have upgraded to the Max since it was introduced, and he enlarged his shop. I'm sure he has more than one machine going at a time. I agree. Call Ed, or email him. He is a great guy and will help you all he can. Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Bob...probably the only time you'd want to use DC on the lathe is when you are finish sanding. Wet curlies would really stop the thing up over time...IMHO....

Bob Antoniewicz
01-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Grillzy

Yeah, talked to him today. I forgot about the CNC when talking to him, but he kept on talking about 800cfm at the machines using 6" ducts. Pentz' website talks about 1000cfm wich requires 7" ducts to keep the velocity at 4000fpm without incurring a large pressure drop through the piping.

I really don't want to do this twice. I have been leaning toward the larger machine (the Binford 6100 Cyclone with 12 hp gas engine.... :-)

But I don't want useless overkill either. Thought some on the Creek would have the machines and give their experience.

I am also planning on getting better filters and using the one machine to do the aircleaning as well. They won't be HEPA - can't afford them. But letting the machine run for 30 minutes after generating dust should improve the shop environment with a good set of filters (Wynn's Nanofiber cartridges).

Bob A.

Bob Antoniewicz
01-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Bob...probably the only time you'd want to use DC on the lathe is when you are finish sanding. Wet curlies would really stop the thing up over time...IMHO....

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. I have very little experience with lathes. Did a lot of sweeping after using it.

Bob A.

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2008, 9:56 AM
I think the problem with collecting at the lathe is that the chip barrel fills so fast, you'd over flow quickly and into the filters, stopping them up. Jim.

David Parker
01-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I am also planning on getting better filters and using the one machine to do the aircleaning as well. They won't be HEPA - can't afford them. But letting the machine run for 30 minutes after generating dust should improve the shop environment with a good set of filters (Wynn's Nanofiber cartridges).
Bob A.

I was wondering if this was commonly done / feasible with a good cyclone collector. Seems like it should work better than the hanging box type of air cleaner. Is the Clear Vue the only commercially available cyclone unit based on the Pentz design or are there others as well?

Also, do people find the noise from these to be a problem, even utilizing Pentz's techniques to reduce the noise. I was considering building a small closet in the corner of my shop to house the cyclone DC, with some kind of sound dampening vent system for air return into the shop. Any suggestions on how to soundproof the return air vents? An acoustically lined U-shape arrangement? Thanks.

Dave

Dick Sylvan
01-18-2008, 1:33 PM
Any suggestions on how to soundproof the return air vents? An acoustically lined U-shape arrangement? Thanks.

Dave
Look on the Clear-Vue web page under "Community" where you will find the picture gallery. You will get a lot of good ideas there. I am currently building a closet, stealing the design from Jameel Abraham

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2008, 2:59 PM
David, I would build a closet, I have one partially built for mine, and if you will be filtering the air back to the shop, make sure to build a folded baffel designed return vent to the shop to minimize noise. I vent mine outside which helps. This way, mine is no louder than my contractor saw. One of these days I will build or find some doors for my closet to finish it. Jim

Doug Shepard
01-18-2008, 4:09 PM
Also, do people find the noise from these to be a problem, even utilizing Pentz's techniques to reduce the noise. I was considering building a small closet in the corner of my shop to house the cyclone DC, with some kind of sound dampening vent system for air return into the shop. Any suggestions on how to soundproof the return air vents? An acoustically lined U-shape arrangement? Thanks.

Dave

I did the closet thing and have some dB measurements on this thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64272

Though it's not very loud now, I think you could reduce those numbers even more if you wanted. I just used styro for the inside closet walls and a large filter for the air return. With true sound insulation and a baffle box it could only get better.

Rick Gifford
01-18-2008, 5:15 PM
I was wondering if this was commonly done / feasible with a good cyclone collector. Seems like it should work better than the hanging box type of air cleaner. Is the Clear Vue the only commercially available cyclone unit based on the Pentz design or are there others as well?

Dave

The ClearVue is the only place making the newest (third generation design?) of Mr Pentz cyclone that pays him a royalty. Others are based from his earlier designs, and they give him nothing. Mr Pentz says the newest design is the most efficient.

Noise. I installed insulated 8" flexible ducting on the exhaust and vent into the room with filters. The noise is louder than any of the other tools. But honestly it isnt terrible. I have a small shop (11' X 20') and you can stand 8 feet from the cyclone and talk in a normal voice. Its a bit of a strain to hear real well in just a normal voice, but it is doable. I wear hearing protection anyway so everything is muffled.

I am not concerned with a super quiet shop. Tools make noise. But I am a small operation and understand the need for a busy workshop to want the quiet.

For what its worth I have some pics posted at clearvue under RickG in WV photo gallery. Just got the ductwork installed so I need to update over there.

As far as size goes. Mine is only the CV1400. I swear it will almost suck you in if your not careful :eek: lol.

I use 6" main and drops and 4" flex to the machines.

I think some very large shops have two cyclones installed.

Jim Andrew
01-18-2008, 8:59 PM
I have a 2hp woodsucker, and feel it is none too big. My woodmaster will fill the 50 gallon drum in a very few minutes, so have to watch it close. I installed mine in a leanto on the outside of the shop, mounted it with rubber washers through boards bolted to outside with rubber washers between to hold down on noise, and vented the air back into the shop. Wish I had a window into there so I could see the hose when chips are coming out the top of the barrel. Now I just do a few boards and go check it. Have run it over enough to not want to do it again.

Robert Payne
01-21-2008, 5:23 PM
Bob,

I have a CV1800 that I am in the process of installing, but I visited Ed and Matt Morgano at their shop facility outside Pickens, SC back in October before I made my final decision. They had both the CV1800 and Max operating and we were able to see the difference in their performance. First, both are high performance DC's. Ed has the CV1800 installed for his personal workshop and has some good pictures in the Photo Gallery on the ClearVue Cyclones website. He has a small CNC machine that they use for making some of the CV06 parts and a Radial Arm Saw (among other tools) that are served by the CV1800. There is very little dust evident around the shop. In their new main shop, they have an 8" main duct that is routed to the CV MAX in a closet. The SDR35 PVC runs down the length of the shop and serves several machines. One of the closer machines is a large bed CNC router with a 6" flex hose drop to the brush shoe on the spindle head. The flex rises about 8-9 feet to a Wye on the 8" main. This is their production MDF cutting CNC and gets lots of use -- it is about 30 feet from the DC closet, but we watched in amazement as Ed placed a 25' Lufkin tape measure in his hand at the CNC dust pickup and watched/listened to it rise quickly up the flex and down the main to the Max in less than 2 seconds. No damage, but lots of suction!

To address your shop needs? I recommend that you buy the MAX if you ever plan to use mutliple machines at once and plan to run 8" mains with 6" drops. If you are certain that you will not run multiple machines at once, then the CV1800 is plenty powerful enough -- use 6" duct and make new 6" Ports at your machines. Just my .02

Bob Antoniewicz
01-21-2008, 9:41 PM
Bob,

... I visited Ed and Matt Morgano at their shop facility outside Pickens, SC back in October before I made my final decision. They had both the CV1800 and Max operating and we were able to see the difference in their performance. ...

To address your shop needs? I recommend that you buy the MAX if you ever plan to use mutliple machines at once and plan to run 8" mains with 6" drops. If you are certain that you will not run multiple machines at once, then the CV1800 is plenty powerful enough -- use 6" duct and make new 6" Ports at your machines. Just my .02

Robert,

Thanks for the information. I have been hoping for input from someone who has personal experience with either (or both) the Max and 1800. I wish I could see them both. And listen, too.

I am still leaning toward the Max. Was it incredibly loud? Did packing it away in a closet make the noise level tolerable?

I will be looking for anything you have to offer when you 1800 is up and running.

Anyone else have personal experience with either the 1800 or the Max?

Regards,

Bob A.