PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Talon Chuck

Karl Franz
01-17-2008, 8:22 PM
Just upgraded from a carbetec lathe to a Oneway 1224 and looking at buying a Talon chuck. What do you use most the Dovetail (smooth) jaws or the Step Jaws? Thank for your replies.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2008, 8:29 PM
Karl, I have the Talon with the #1 step jaws, # 2, #3 and the mini-jumbo jaws. About 90% of the time I end up using the # 2 jaws. Hope that helps! Congrats on your new lathe!

charlie knighton
01-17-2008, 8:41 PM
ya might want to go with the with the stronghold chuck, it will be of use to ya even if you continue to upgrade your lathe all the way to powermatic:D

i use the step jaws, but it is personel opinion, be sure to use a lip to rest the top ot the jaws on and do not bottom out the tenon

Robert McGowen
01-17-2008, 8:42 PM
I have to second Steve. I have 2 Talons and have the #2 on one pair and the #3 on the other. I don't do a lot of small stuff though or I would probably use the #1 more often. I also have the jumbo jaws which are basically a waste of money in my opinion. Unless you want to buy them, then, of course, they are a must have, great, can't do without item. :D:D:D:D:D

Scott Donley
01-17-2008, 9:17 PM
#2 here also, no dovetail, that is why I went with the Talon in the first place I have NEVER lost a bowl because it came loose.

Steven Wilson
01-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I use the #2 on my Talon most of the time. As for the Stronghold, it's a great chuck but might be a bit of overkill on a 1224. Besides, if you eventually get a big beast you can always have two chuck (Talon and Stronghold) :)

Donald Price
01-18-2008, 1:54 AM
I've had my Talon since Christmas and have had a total blast with it. This chuck is so versatile. The jumbo jaws are also a nice addition.

Bill Embrey
01-18-2008, 9:34 AM
#2 jaws and the jumbo jaws are what is used most on mine...

Neal Addy
01-18-2008, 3:47 PM
#2 jaws should come with your chuck body. They are the ones you'll likely use the most. The #2 will hold a tenon over 5" in diameter (which would be a honkin' big bowl). #1 step jaws very are useful for smaller pieces. For me, they get used second most.

Another jaw set I find useful is the #1 spigot jaws. Same diameter as the step but with a longer throat. Useful for compression gripping of long spindles (dowels, etc) and for expansion gripping a vase neck or small rim hollow form. You can wrap several layers of painters tape around the jaws (cut at the seams) to protect the piece.

Robert McGowen
01-18-2008, 4:02 PM
#2 Jaws have an internal chucking capacity of 1-5/8" to 2-7/8", and an external capacity of 2" to 3-3/8".

#3 Jaws - Chucking Capacity: External: 2-7/8" - 4-5/8"; Internal: 3-3/8" - 4-7/8"

This is for the Talon chuck. The Stronghold #3 jaws will in fact go over 5".

Jim Becker
01-18-2008, 4:15 PM
#2 jaws should come with your chuck body. They are the ones you'll likely use the most. The #2 will hold a tenon over 5" in diameter (which would be a honkin' big bowl).

Agree, but when you get a little beyond the ideal tenon size for the #2 jaws, the edges start to get a little too close to "propellers" for my comfort...which is why I also bought the #3 jaws for my Talon. They handle the slightly larger tenons I like to use for larger forms without the increased risk should a hand or wrist get accidentally too close.

#1 step jaws very are useful for smaller pieces. For me, they get used second most.

Another jaw set I find useful is the #1 spigot jaws. Same diameter as the step but with a longer throat.

I don't have the step jaws, but I do have the spigot jaws and they have been really useful...much more so than I originally thought they would be.

jim tracy
01-18-2008, 6:22 PM
Karl,

Another 1224 owner here, I love the #2 jaws that came with the chuck. I also have the jumbo jaws (will fit on the 1224) and they are very handy. I plan on getting the #3 and the spigot jaws soon.

Karl Franz
01-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Went out today and ordered the Talon with #1 & 3 jaws also. Thanks for all the information