PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Finding Material

Keith Mollenkopf
01-17-2008, 8:19 PM
I am new to posting at Sawmill so hopefully this is the right place to ask. I was at a show this week and a company was making 3d photo engravings on a material that looked like sandstone. On closer inspection it was extremely lightweight and looked like foam. Has anyone seen anything like this? The company is http://3dlti.com and there is a picture on the samples pages but it is hard to tell from the picture what it is and the pricture doesn't really do justice for their product. It was an absolutely beautiful product and I would love to do some work with it but they wouldn't give me any details. Any help would be much appreciated.

Micheal Donnellan
01-17-2008, 8:22 PM
you have to register to view anything is this just a spam post?

Bill Cunningham
01-17-2008, 9:40 PM
Why would they be at a show demonstrating something they won't tell you anything about? ...Whats the point!

Ray Mighells
01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Boeing used something like that years ago. I knew woodcarvers that bought blocks of it from their surplus store in Seattle really cheap prices. They used it in practice pieces and mock-ups because it cut so easy and held really good detail. Good with both hand tools and power/rotary tools. Also reminds me of flotation material injected into boat hulls. Very tight cells, and hard surface but almost weightless. Good luck on your search.

Ed Newbold
01-18-2008, 6:58 AM
I am new to posting at Sawmill so hopefully this is the right place to ask. I was at a show this week and a company was making 3d photo engravings on a material that looked like sandstone. On closer inspection it was extremely lightweight and looked like foam. Has anyone seen anything like this? The company is http://3dlti.com and ...When I visit that link, I see nothing... on any of the tabs (except a "register" request). What is this product you're speaking of? Got any pictures of it? This sounds like something we might all be able to benefit from.

Angus Hines
01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Nice looking stuff. but not much there except a picture a order page where you upload your image for them to engrave, which BTW has java runtime errors all in it. and the contact us and about us pages are blank and what ever the material is they arn't selling it on this particular site

.... This is probably a spam post.

If anybody wants to look I created a fake registration.

Username: Yes
Password: abc1234

Michael Kowalczyk
01-18-2008, 4:05 PM
From what I am reading above, it sounds like SignFoam otherwise know as HDU (High Density Urethane).

http://www.signfoam.com/

Not sure how it would work on a laser but is awesome on a CNC. Cuts like butter but it isn't cheap. Comes in different densities also. I talked with Rick, at the website above, and he said they don't suggest it although he does know some people that use it with out issue. May have a low melt issue to watch.

Go on the website, request some samples and try it. Ask for the MSDS sheet. I asked him to get prepared with the info and he said he will talk to the engineers about it.

Keith Mollenkopf
01-18-2008, 6:46 PM
I think I found it - balsafoam.com. I am waiting to hear back from them and I am going to try to get some samples to see how it works. I found it for sale at dickblick.com as well. I may just go ahead and buy a sheet and try it. I will post back here when I hear from them or try it.