PDA

View Full Version : Cermark shelf life

Dave West
01-17-2008, 8:00 PM
I was just given a jar of old Cermark. It says 'dmc2 degaussa Metals Catalysts Cerdec Corporation LMM-6000 Metal Marking Spray' (even though it's a paste) Label says 12 Oct 01. I'm wondering if it's still good. The pictures I see of Cermark shows it as a yellow/green paste. What I have is a medium gray with a hint of yellow.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
01-17-2008, 9:42 PM
quickest way to find out is to try it... Got a old knife blade?

Richard Rumancik
01-17-2008, 10:00 PM
It may have separated a bit. I recall seeing some yellowish liquid separating out. Add some ethanol or denatured alcohol and stir well to get all the solids re-dissolved. If it works on a test item, it should be fine to use it.

James Stokes
01-18-2008, 8:40 AM
It should be fine. Take some of the paste and mix it with denatured alchohol. Mix it to a water consistancy.
The only time I have seen it go bad, it was hard as a rock.

Dave West
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
When I got home last night I did a test on an old knife. It was brushed on thinly, right from the jar. I used 10% speed, 100% power on a 25 watt machine.
The 'B' in BearByte didn't catch all the Cermark, so it's only half done. I sanded vigorously the first part of the word with 240 grit for about a minute and a half to test durability. It stands up to more abuse than I thought.

Dave

Frank Corker
01-18-2008, 3:51 PM
I've still got my original batch of cermark and I keep it in a drawer away from sunlight. It's coming onto 2 years old and it still does the job 100% the way it did when I first got it.