PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Doors

Martin Shupe
03-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Several of the doors in my house squeak. I have tried various things in the past, including 3 in 1 oil and some silicon based product that I forget.

It seems like they need oiling once a year or so, and I don't like to do it as it leaves a mess that I have to clean off the floor and paint.

So, does anyone have a magic substance for oiling squeaky doors around the house?

Thanks for you suggestions.

Mark Singer
03-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Martin,
Try a silicon spray. Or a litium grease. I use the lithium on slow moving machinery parts in the shop.

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2004, 5:20 AM
What works for me - Pull the pins...one at a time...clean them real good...apply a lite coat of grease (lithium good -graphite better)...put em back.

I did all mine 2 years ago and I can still sneak around without waking up the dogs.

edit - Just looked...my "graphite grease" is lithium-based. Guess I had em both covered.

Todd Burch
03-01-2004, 8:28 AM
Mine do too Martin - house is just over 2 years old. I'll be replacing my spray-painted-along-with-everything-else cheapo steel hinges with brass hinges as I go, doing the high-use doors first. Some doors I've oiled twice already, and they still squeak.

Arvin Brown
03-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I agree with Todd - the hinges they use today are cheap. Go get some good ones and they will be fine. No matter how much grease/or whatever you put on the cheap ones they will still squeek and make a mess.