PDA

View Full Version : Table Based Loosely on an old Norm Creation

Greg Heppeard
01-17-2008, 6:39 PM
I seem to remember Norm building something like this several years ago, so I thought I would give it a try...I used pocket holes tho. I tried to match the legs as close as possible. The legs, drawer and skirt are soft maple. The top is qs white oak. This was my first time matching turnings like this and also my first time making my own drawer slide. I kinda like the way it turned out. Dimentions are 22 1/2 deep, 47 1/2 long and 34 high.

Bert Johansen
01-17-2008, 6:59 PM
Nicely done, Greg! The side-hung drawers are a nice feature. I also like the table edge you routed on the top. Thanks for posting your photos.

keith ouellette
01-17-2008, 7:56 PM
looks well made. Is the finish supposed to give an antique look?

Jim Becker
01-17-2008, 8:13 PM
Greg, dynamite job on that table!!! I was hoping you'd post the completed project when you first talked about the legs in the turning forum...and you delivered!

Ralph Okonieski
01-17-2008, 8:31 PM
Excellent work! Looks great.

gary Zimmel
01-17-2008, 9:11 PM
Greg

Sweet looking table! You did a great job.

Greg Heppeard
01-17-2008, 10:00 PM
looks well made. Is the finish supposed to give an antique look?

Keith,
I saw a piece in an upscale furniture gallery in town that was painted in the same style and liked the look. I thought I would try to duplicate it. It didn't turn out too bad IMHO.

John Gregory
01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
You did good on that project. Very good results, it displays your attention to detail well

keith ouellette
01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Keith,
I saw a piece in an upscale furniture gallery in town that was painted in the same style and liked the look. I thought I would try to duplicate it. It didn't turn out too bad IMHO.

I have seen that style also. I think yours looks great. I'm sure its very hard to blend stain like that. I was just wondering how the look is classified.

Bill Wyko
01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Great job Greg. Nice job on the legs as well as your choice of woods.:)

Greg Heppeard
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I have seen that style also. I think yours looks great. I'm sure its very hard to blend stain like that. I was just wondering how the look is classified.

It's actually pretty easy to do. I first painted the whole base with water based red then used an acid brush dipped in vaseline and brushed lightly in various spots then pained the base with water base black. I then rubbed lightly with 0000 steel wool. I attached the top and gave it a couple of coats of clear oil base finish.

Ray Turney
01-18-2008, 7:13 PM
We have another master craftsman!!!!! Very nicely done.