PDA

View Full Version : Goof Off

Joe Pelonio
01-17-2008, 4:46 PM
I normally use a citrus based adhesive remover or denatured alcolhol for cleaning laser cut material. Today I was trying some "Goof Off" for some particularly stubborn adhesive after removing vinyl lettering from an aluminum sign. Some spilled on a scrap of Rowmark that was on the table. Interesting what happened when I wiped it off after about 1-2 minutes. Best keep that stuff away from your laserable laminates. I tested it on the brushed silver just for fun and it seemed to be OK so that must be a different plastic formulation.

Brian Robison
01-17-2008, 4:48 PM
With a name like that I wouldn't want to spill it on me self! (No smart comments about oder eaters please)

Barb Macdonald
01-17-2008, 7:17 PM
We find. Most vinyl letter adhesive hates it. Heat the piece with scalding water, wet wipe with alcohol, then a dry wipe to pick up the rest. Hot water makes the initial removal of the letters easier, too.

Have a great day, all....
THE CREEK RULES

We make Custom Products.

I gave up listing everything, because there's always one more thing to add. We've done a couple of umbrellas for a photo shoot, rubber gloves again for a shoot, English Setter Agate "Trophies", (all with vinyl), grafitti, artwork ID plates, memorial plates for the unfortunate deceased, rarely thank goodness, that's a business with $$$$ (Shiver)
Anyway,

James Jaragosky
01-17-2008, 8:24 PM
We find. Most vinyl letter adhesive hates it. Heat the piece with scalding water, wet wipe with alcohol, then a dry wipe to pick up the rest. Hot water makes the initial removal of the letters easier, too.

Have a great day, all....
THE CREEK RULES

We make Custom Products.

I gave up listing everything, because there's always one more thing to add. We've done a couple of umbrellas for a photo shoot, rubber gloves again for a shoot, English Setter Agate "Trophies", (all with vinyl), grafitti, artwork ID plates, memorial plates for the unfortunate deceased, rarely thank goodness, that's a business with $$$$ (Shiver)
Anyway,
goof off makes a water based version of that stuff. it is not as hard on some of the more sensitive stuff and still works fairly well.

Mark Rios
01-17-2008, 8:26 PM
I find that sometimes I goof off too much, then nothing gets cleaned.

Bill Cunningham
01-17-2008, 9:13 PM
I got exactly those results when I cleaned a piece of hot orange IPI plastic with some DNA .. Took the colour right off...

Sandra Force
01-18-2008, 4:28 PM
I use Citrus on Black face laminate, but have found that the colored and thin caps will come off with Citrus, acetone, gooof-off, and most other hard solvents. I do cleanup on everything but black with alcohol wipes.