PDA

View Full Version : Briwax color???

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2008, 4:20 PM
I opened my recently purchased can of Briwax and was unpleasantly surprised. Black as shoe polish! Thought, well, I'll just try a little. Maybe it goes on clear or something. No such luck. Looks ugly and blackish.

Do I have a bad can or is this it?

I wanted to try this after watching a Chris Stott DVD. He uses it for everything. I believe Ray Key also uses it. In their DVDs, it appears to be clear. Their application of it does not change the color.

Burt

Steve Busey
01-17-2008, 5:02 PM
Burt, a search at rockler's site says there are at least 5 different shades - from clear to dark brown. Does yours have a color on the label?

Ben Gastfriend
01-17-2008, 5:32 PM
Yes.... Briwax comes in multiple shades (see below). I'd think that Ray Key uses the clear stuff, but you must have the dark brown stuff.

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2008, 6:13 PM
I had no idea it came in different colors. Woodcraft had a stack of them. They all said "Original...blah blah blah." After I read these posts I went back and looked on the can. On a very small label on the side is says "Dark Brown."

Maybe they'll let me swap as I took only a tiny dab. I don't know if I want to have 2 cans of this stuff as I'm not sure if I'm going to like it or not.

Oh well...look before you leap.

Burt

robert hainstock
01-17-2008, 6:56 PM
Bri wax comes in various colors. I'm surprised they didn't ask you about that, or have a color chart. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2008, 6:56 PM
Just spoke to Woodcraft. They will allow me to exchange the mud for clear. Whew...

Burt