PDA

View Full Version : making curved lines in segmented work

Paul Engle
01-17-2008, 3:23 PM
I noticed in a couple of galleries that some of the glued edges on segmented bowls (spiral type), were curved (perpendicular to the outer face) . How'd they do that? How do you get the curve/s and have the glued edges match , but say spiraling out from the center of the piece.I am/was working on a bowl with a burl maple trim ring and ... yea its getting to me . I gathered up all the scrap in the shop and started glueing up 8 / 16 sided rings...some kinda sucking noise goin on in the shop , and no the dc aint on... :eek:..... I had to laugh , the LOML wanted to know why I was eye ballin her bowls..... I said " maybe I can put a trim ring on em" and she said " no , make me new ones". I got the plural answer here. Now she wants a spiral segmented bowl/s. Will be getting Malcolm's book/dvd shortly and a segment design program, more tools , more wood, more more more.... yikes, I spent a bout 10 minutes in Malcolm's gallery...there is no hope , resistance is fuuuutial....

Quinn McCarthy
01-17-2008, 5:55 PM
Paul

Do you have a link to what you are refering to?

It sounds interesting.

Quinn

Brodie Brickey
01-17-2008, 6:18 PM
In a way its simple.

Take a piece of 8/4 stock.
Rip it through the middle at 45 degrees
Insert accent strip.
turn a bowl or platterHow It Works
The accent strip sits like a slash "\" in the wood. As you remove wood up top, the accent strip migrates to the left or right of the original line.

Where You Can Find Examples
I saw this on WOW. The artist is Mark Rose, his piece entitled 'Zen Wave' posted Dec 19, 2007.

Richard Madison
01-17-2008, 8:30 PM
Paul,
Look at the piece from all angles. In one of those views the glue joint will (probably) be a straight line, but will appear curved when viewed from another direction.

Brian Brown
01-17-2008, 8:31 PM
Brodie's explanation is the easiest way to do it. Malcolm's book explains in more detail in the section on lamination trickery. I have always wanted to try it, but I haven't yet. I'm not sure, but it seems to me, that you would get the greatest degree of curvature on a piece with rings made from a smaller number of segments, like 8 instead of 16. I could be wrong. I washed out of math in school.

Lee DeRaud
01-17-2008, 8:38 PM
Is this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68576) the kind of thing you're talking about?

It sounds interesting.
Oh, yeah, that was you, wasn't it?

George Guadiane
01-17-2008, 8:48 PM
Are you talking about any of these?:
They are some things that I have posted over time. Several different approaches, all work, including those already mentioned.
I added a picture of the pattern I use. I start by drilling a one inch hole in the center and then use a bandsaw to cut the piece in half, then glue in veneer, as many layers as you want, I use veneer because it will mold to the form of the cut, no matter where it bends... I glue each half before cutting the next, it keeps the pieces from wandering.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-17-2008, 9:05 PM
Paul, I've attached quite an old example of "lamination trickery" - about 10" diameter. All the curves are actually straight lines; you just have to position your eyes at the correct viewing angle. The curves almost magically appear as the wood surface is shaped on the lathe. The line up of the intersections requires accurate assembly (consistent dimensions, precise angles, and a round construction). If done correctly, it's a cheap trick which will prompt questions like, "how'd you do that?"

George Guadiane
01-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Check my original post.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Paul

Do you have a link to what you are refering to?

It sounds interesting.

Quinn

Quinn,

Go to Malcolms name in his post above, click on his name and select view public profile. In his profile you can find a link to his website. His work is intriguing at least and stunning comes closer to describing it. Totally amazing.......Am I getting the picture across to you?

Paul Engle
01-20-2008, 8:51 AM
Ah, I got now , Malcolm's cup I got, once I thought about it the way it was glued up. Georges on the other hand , the maple vase was the spiral I was cornfused about. still not 100% but I think Brodie's version coupled with Georges pic gives me a palce to start. Quinn I saw the spiral / curved pieces on a segmented forum from work and cannot find it now. Cant acces my puter from home as the remote site server is down this morning....I'll try later if the IT oncall gets it up today.Thanks everyone for the input. This segmenting is worse than turning .......as for addiction, I may never do a solid piece ever again.:eek: