PDA

View Full Version : TS Side Feed Tables - really needed?

Matt Lentzner
01-17-2008, 3:19 PM
In the interests of saving space in my small shop I was considering getting a table saw with short rails (maybe even cutting them down). Of course this would greatly reduce the width of rip I could do, but do I really need that wide of ripping capacity?

I already have a panel saw (EZ) for sizing plywood and a SCMS for crossing long moldings. What am I forgetting that would still require a side feed table?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

Matt

John Thompson
01-17-2008, 3:27 PM
Long cross-cut support if you require them. I run 30" rails on my TS as I strickly Rip with a dedicated 24 T blade. All cross-cutting is done on a SCMS at my shop.

So.. that being the case.. 30" rails are find unless you need support doing cross-cuts on very long stock. But then again.. you have an E Z smart or whatever they are called.

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
01-17-2008, 3:31 PM
I think you'll be fine, Matt. The guided circular saw EZ system practically eliminates the need for very wide cuts.

What about dadoes? Router for that?

Greg Funk
01-17-2008, 4:45 PM
I have a 50" extension on the right side of my saw that is mostly used for storage until I get a chance to clean it off. If you've got a reasonable way of cutting panels there shouldn't be any need for a big extension.

Greg

Danny Thompson
01-17-2008, 4:48 PM
I have a 7' rail, and really love it . . . but the last couple of feet really only get used for the router.