PDA

View Full Version : File Cabinet

Steven Bolton
01-17-2008, 1:44 PM
I made a file cabinet with two drawers and full extension slides. It works well, but I went with hanging files (Pendaflex?).

I don't like the hanging files but I like my home made full extension files. Does anyone have an idea how to made them for files that fit in a regular file cabinet. In other words, non-hanging folders.

I need something to keep them all from falling back. Any ideas. I need them legal size.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Tom Veatch
01-17-2008, 2:10 PM
DAGS "Index Follower".

My quick look didn't show anything in legal size, but I suspect "letter size" would satisfy the need if legal size can't be found.

Bob Rufener
01-17-2008, 2:50 PM
I made 2 drawer file cabinets a few years ago for our kids and put in the suspended file system. It works well. If you want to go with non hanging files, you will need to design something to hold the files up like in a traditional metal file cabinet. I believe you can use 3/8" plywood or something similar as a "back stop" for the files. There are two ways you can achieve this. Cut dadoes into the sides of the drawers at approximately two inch increments from front to back. Make your "back stop" to fit into the slots created by the dadoes. This will allow you to adjust the drawer from front to back. If that is not feasible, make a back stop and create a sliding mechanism in back of that that goes to the back of your drawer. You might make plywood strips about 1 1/4 inches wide, rout out a 1/4" channel going down the center of two piece to allow a thumb screw to fit through it. One piece is mounted to the rear of the drawer and the other to the front. Slide the back stop to the desired position and tighten the thumb screw. I hope this makes sense. I think this would work for your situation.

Thomas Walker
01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
You could try using a large metal bookend at the back of your files.

Steven Bolton
01-18-2008, 1:40 PM
what is a DAGS "Index Follower"?

sb