PDA

View Full Version : Rabbeting bit set?? which one

David Gunn
01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I am going to buy a rabbeting bit set. I need some advice as to which one.
First choice is Freud, 32-524 for $45.50 or 32-526 for $49.00 from my local ACE.
Second is Whiteside from Holbren, $39.44 with woodnet discount.
Third is Katana from MLCS for $35.00 on sale. Or the MLCS brand on sale with a free corner chisel for $33.99.

All of these are the nine piece set, bit, hex wrench and seven bearings. The 32-526 from Freud has a 3/4" cut length, all the others have 1/2".

If anyone has any experience with any of these, I would like to know what your opinions are.
Thank you.

Jason Beam
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Personally, i will pretty much always choose whiteside over anyone else if the price is comparable like you have here. No whiteside bit has ever disappointed me - i can't say that about any other brand of bit out there. Plus, i get a screamin' deal at my local tool dealer :)

Tim Malyszko
01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I have the Whiteside set and it's been a great addition. I no longer use my tablesaw when cutting rabbets and changing the bearings are a breeze. I can't speak of the other sets, but I would either buy the Whiteside or the Freud. I now buy Whiteside bits exclusively since I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I also own Freud bits and the quality is just as good as the Whiteside Bits, but I still prefer Whiteside - its just a personal preference.

I don't know if my comments really added any value.

Greg Heppeard
01-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I have 2 Whiteside rabbet sets, both half inch shank...GR8 bits.

Chris Dodge
01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I have the CMT #835.502.11 set, which I paid $55 for. I have no complaints with it. It cuts well and has seven bearings. I got it at Woodcraft.

I would agree though, with the comments about Whiteside. All of my Whiteside bits are great!

Jim Becker
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Holbren has an SMC discount, too... ;)

The Whiteside or Freud would be my choice out of your list.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
What do you plan to be doing with the bits? I use a rabbeting bit a good bit and have gone through several. I always seem to come up with the best deal on the ones with interchangeable bearings to make different cut depths.....and I've never had occasion to use anything other than a 3/8. Also I don't find need for anything that will cut over about 3/8 deep as nearly everything I do is to cut rabbets to put 1/4" paneling for backing. If on the rare occasion I want something deeper I make multiple passes, dropping the bit lower. Incidentally, when I rabbet for a panel backing I try to first make a light climbing cut to score the wood and then cut full depth - sure helps eleminate tearout.

Rick Gooden
01-17-2008, 1:39 PM
I don't know about the Whiteside but I do know that Freud will stand behind what they make, they have proven that to me and so Freud is my go-to brand if at all possible.

glenn bradley
01-17-2008, 2:30 PM
I have many bits by about a half dozen makers. Whiteside has become my first choice with Freud right behind them. Most bits are great when new but these two seem to last much longer than others I have in the stable.