PDA

View Full Version : Snow Thrower (Help with selection)

Tim Wagner
01-17-2008, 8:05 AM
Ok Always used a 6 doller shovel. But in recent years and My limited time and back pains, I decided I want to get a snow thrower.

Here on the west side of cleveland, OH, We can get up to 20" snow in a bad storm and average roughly 4-10 inches during a normal snow storm. So I can't afford anything huge, but I don't want a cheapy with those rubber lined augers either. Most of the time, lake affect snow is heavy and moist.

so with all that in mind, I would ask your opinions on one machine I found so far. I found one of two throwers at the borg. two options I feel I must have are, Must be self propelled, and I want it to be a non mix gas engine (4 cycle).

Anyone have this (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100348555) or any opinions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

P.S $500.00 is the absolute max.

Glenn Clabo
01-17-2008, 8:23 AM
I've had a SEARS Craftsman like this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188355000P?keyword=snow+thrower
for years now...no problem. I think you're two options are good ones...but would add 5.5 HP and 2 stage min for your area...the option that I love that may drive it out of your price range is electric start. NOT battery start...plug in start. It is SO nice to be able to just plug it in and push a button.

P.S. - I'm married to a nurse who "tried to bring back to life too many men who were too proud to listen to the stats". So I basically gave in to her insistance, after I reached 50 years old, on my buying a snow thrower. Every snowstorm I thank her for it.

Dick Rowe
01-17-2008, 8:27 AM
I would be concerned about the single forward speed and no reverse.

There are times when the snow is heavy that I have to run at a real slow speed to get through it without choking the engine out, and other times when we have a light snow that I want to set it on high speed to get it done quickly.

Also, in heavy snow you may have to go in and out, especially when the plow leaves a little 'mountain' at the end of your driveway. Without reverse, you will have to try to drag/pull it backwards ... not fun, especially if it is buried in 4 feet of snow.

Scott Loven
01-17-2008, 8:59 AM
Not what you were asking, but I pay a guy $20 a crack to plow my 450 foot driveway, costs me less then $200 a year. All I have to do is move the cars.
Scott

Ken Werner
01-17-2008, 9:22 AM
I bought an MTD blower last winter, 28", 8 or 9 HP. Chains on the tires, about 5 fwd speed, much more rugged hand grips, which you sometimes need to move the thing around. 4 cycle, starts very easily.

Here in CNY we can get some pretty heavy snows, and this blower works great. About $800. I think the unit you're looking at may be a bit small for the kind of snow you're describing.

So what you're looking at might do, but it looks a bit small, depending on the size of your drive, and how much time you want to spend doing it.

Just my .02.

Ken

Tim Wagner
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I bought an MTD blower last winter, 28", 8 or 9 HP. Chains on the tires, about 5 fwd speed, much more rugged hand grips, which you sometimes need to move the thing around. 4 cycle, starts very easily.

Here in CNY we can get some pretty heavy snows, and this blower works great. About $800. I think the unit you're looking at may be a bit small for the kind of snow you're describing.

So what you're looking at might do, but it looks a bit small, depending on the size of your drive, and how much time you want to spend doing it.

Just my .02.

Ken

Sounds like you need a truck and plow, and not just a blower. My driveway is only 30' X 16' at it's widest. the main part of my drive is just two cement strips, and not a solid driveway. sidewalks are 4' wide and about 25' of walkway total. so not allot to justify the big behemoth, but enough that I need something to handle the deeper snows.

thanks for all the advice. I am also going to go see the sears model as was suggested above. also will go see what lowes and walmart has before I decide, so keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks.

Doug Shepard
01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
......the option that I love that may drive it out of your price range is electric start. NOT battery start...plug in start. It is SO nice to be able to just plug it in and push a button.

Amen Brother Clabo. Amen.

Steven Wilson
01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Tim, the Craftsman Glen linked to is the minimum size you should be looking at. I have the older "green" version of that unit and the machine works fairly well (sheet metal is too light and kind of flimsy but that's Sears) and the engine is great. You should pick up a 2 stage thrower with multiple forward speeds and reverse. For my 3 car, typical suburban lot, driveway the 24" path / 5.5hp unit is a good size as it can clear pretty much anything only bogging down on real heavy snow. If I had a longer driveway, or had heavier snow loads (more lake effect) then I would go with a more substantial unit. I'm not sure that you'll be able to meet your price point with a unit that's properly sized. You'll find that the single speed unit you linked to won't really meet your needs.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree with Steven. I bought my first snowthrower two years ago and it was a Craftsman 8 hp two stage. From my research, a 5.5 hp will handle most of my needs. But, if you get pounded with snow, you will need at least 8 hp. As previously pointed out, this is heart attack prevention.

The main reason that I went with Craftsman was because repair parts are readily available from Sears, albeit at a premium. I don't know how easy it is to get parts or service from a snowthrower bought at Lowes or Home Depot. I've read stories about John Deere service shops not servicing John Deere "for Home Depot" equipment.

Also, the 8 hp model has larger tires over most 5.5 hp blowers which means better traction. The biggest disadvantage is size. I don't need a large width as time is not important, and I would be willing to sacrafice width for easier mobility and storage. Mine is 27" wide.

I can either electric start mine (with a wall outlet nearby) or pullstart. I've found that pull start is no big deal and often easier than schlepping out the extension cord.

Good luck in your hunt...Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Let me bloviate a little more...

For occasional snowfalls in NJ, 5.5 hp is probably OK, but 8 hp is the minimum that will meet essentially all my needs. It sounds that 8 hp should be the minimum for what you describe.

Blower should be two stage. The motor powers the front auger to collect the snow, and a second impeller helps throw it. Single stage models, which are typically less than 5.5 hp don't have the throwing ability and it ability only gets worse with wet snow. They usually aren't self propelled but "self feed". Big difference.

Several forward speeds are nice. You usually only use the first two for blowing snow, but the highest speed is nice if you trek over to your neighbors house to help clear him out. At least one reverse is important too.

Serrated versus smooth auger blades. Theoretically, the serrated blade will more efficiently chop thru ice encrusted snow. However, my research indicated that this theory was invalid. My snow thrower has a smooth auger, and it works fine on the icy stuff. If the snow is more like an ice storm, neither version works well and outcomes the steel shovel and pick.

Some brands are Aries, MTD, Toro, Craftsman, Simplicity and Honda. Honda is considered premium but you will pay up to three times more. Simplicity is also considered good equipment. I believe they are owned by Snapper Mowers.

-Jeff :)

Rich Stewart
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Did you read the product reviews for the one at Home Depot that you supplied the link to? I don't think I would go with THAT one.

Lee Schierer
01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I live just south of Erie, PA in the snow belt and am familiar with the heavy wet snows you mentioned. You definitely want a two stage machine.

I had an 8Hp Toro that ran for over 20 years. I replaced it 2 years ago with an 9Hp Simplicity and love it. Simplicity makes a 7.5 Hp http://www.simplicitymfg.com/pics/products/snowthrowers/dual-stage.pngwhich should be ideal for your use except maybe your price range. Honda also makes smaller machines but their prices are quite high, but so is their reliabiltiy and performace.

Simplicty, Ariens, Honda and MTD make snowblowers. MTD makes Craftsman, Toro, Yard Machine and several other brands sold by the hardware and Borgs. Most MTD models have plastic parts which do not seem to hold up in the cold temps. Prices are lower on MTD machines, but you get what you pay for.

I have electric start, but my Simplicity starts so easy with the pull cord, I have only used it once.

Whatever machine you end up with. Spray down the chute and augers with silicone or WD-40 before each use. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

David G Baker
01-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a Simplicity and love it but I paid well over $500 for it. Depending on how much of an area that you need to remove snow from and how physically fit you are, a snow blower takes a little bit of strain on the old muscles too but it is much better on the back than a shovel.

Tim Wagner
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Did you read the product reviews for the one at Home Depot that you supplied the link to? I don't think I would go with THAT one.

No :o. I am going to sears.

Edit: So when they say it has an auger and an impeller, that means it's 2 stage??

Michael Lutz
01-17-2008, 1:44 PM
I looked around at all the available units in November. I ended up with the 5.5 HP Yard machines unit from Lowes. It was $650. It had the best location of all the speed control levers. It is replacing a single stage unit, that would clog all the time, when it wanted to start, and required a gas/oil mix to run. All the ones I looked at had plastic chutes, except for one which I didn't like due to the size of the impeller and auger.

Mike

Tim Wagner
01-17-2008, 6:57 PM
I've had a SEARS Craftsman like this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188355000P?keyword=snow+thrower
for years now...no problem. I think you're two options are good ones...but would add 5.5 HP and 2 stage min for your area...the option that I love that may drive it out of your price range is electric start. NOT battery start...plug in start. It is SO nice to be able to just plug it in and push a button.

P.S. - I'm married to a nurse who "tried to bring back to life too many men who were too proud to listen to the stats". So I basically gave in to her insistance, after I reached 50 years old, on my buying a snow thrower. Every snowstorm I thank her for it.

thanks glenn. I bought, picked up, and have it sitting in my garage pointed out ready to go and all gased up. :) thanks to all, especially Rich for talking me out of that Borg technology. Bring on the snow!!

Patrick Melchior
01-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I have had my 9.5 hp Ariens snow thrower for 3 years now. It might be overkill be have you ever complained about too much money in your paycheck? I just got tired of shoveling snow and my BACK is not getting any younger. I usually end up snow blowing 3-4 house on either side of me. I enjoy it actually.

a 2 stage is a must ( keep hands out of chute....use a stick to clear blocked snow) A .5. hp should be fine, just remember the deeper the snow, take a smaller bite.
I live in strongsville, ohio so I know where you are coming from.

Augusto Orosco
09-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread, since I am planning on getting my first ever snow thrower over the weekend.

I live in the Boston suburbs and my driveway is about 60 feet long. We don't get a ton of snow, but enough to warrant using a thrower: Bad storms could bring over 12", but those are not the norm .

I know I want a two-stage, 4 cycle with a few forward speeds and at least one reverse speed. Electric start would probably be nice. How about the engine? I am looking at at least 200cc. Would that be enough power?

I am trying to stay under $800 and my stores are probably limited to either Lowes, HD or Sears; which means mostly Troy-Bilt, Ariens and Craftman. Currently Lowes has this one on sale for $645 (Troy Built, 2008cc, 26" clearing width)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=189206-270-31BM63P3711&bc=c

Would that be a good choice?

Any suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Lee Schierer
09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I am trying to stay under $800 and my stores are probably limited to either Lowes, HD or Sears; which means mostly Troy-Bilt, Ariens and Craftman. Currently Lowes has this one on sale for $645 (Troy Built, 2008cc, 26" clearing width)

Troy Bilt, Yard Man, White, Bolens, Cub Cadet and maybe a few others are all made by MTD and pretty much the same qualty.

I believe Simplicity and Ariens are separate companies and a different level of quality...

Rod Sheridan
09-03-2009, 1:48 PM
I've had a generic 5HP two stage machine for 10 years now, works great.

I have several elderly neighbours so my blower makes the rounds when it snows.

If it has multiple speeds and two stages it will do what you want.

The larger machines clear the driveway faster, however they don't clear it any better and are larger in size and weight.

Regards, Rod.

Augusto Orosco
09-03-2009, 2:01 PM
I've had a generic 5HP two stage machine for 10 years now, works great.

I have several elderly neighbours so my blower makes the rounds when it snows.

If it has multiple speeds and two stages it will do what you want.

The larger machines clear the driveway faster, however they don't clear it any better and are larger in size and weight.

Regards, Rod.

I am having trouble finding HP ratings for current models, they mostly list cc's. I believe there was some sort of legal issue about overstating HP ratings that compelled manufactures to stick to cc's (sound familiar, Shop Vacs owners?). In short, I am having trouble understanding what could be 'large enough' based on the cc measure.

Mac McQuinn
09-03-2009, 7:25 PM
We get plenty of snow(close to 90" last winter) here in Mid-MI and I use a 1978 Honda 4 stroke, 4HP single stage w/ plug in electric start. I never hardly use the E-start as it always starts on the 1st or second pull. Machine is easy to maneuver and runs through every thing I've had to deal with. My neighbor has a two stage monster and I'm usually done with my 70'x25' driveway and front porch before he gets 1/2 way done with his drive. Hondas are great machines and I own 3 different items, Generator, Lawnmower and Sno-blower. Nuff said:D

Mac

Jim Rimmer
09-03-2009, 9:34 PM
Amen Brother Clabo. Amen.

I only lived in snow country (Iowa) for two years. First winter I was in an apartment for the worst winter in 30 years. So I did whaht you're doing - asked everyone what to get. Ended up buying a Sears 9HP with 5 forward gears, two reverses, and electric start. Next winter it snowed twice. Then I moved to Houston. I figure it cost me about $125 each for the times I used it. Sold it at a huge loss.

Hoeever, the one thing EVERYONE told me was to get the electric start. They warned me that the last thing you want is to get wrapped up in all your snow gear and then yank on the starter until you start sweating. :eek:

Greg Cuetara
09-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Have you thought of trying to pick up a used machine? I have seen lots of them around and you might be able to get a good machine at a heavy discount.....Maybe Jim's Machine is still kickin around.

Greg

ROY DICK
09-04-2009, 7:46 AM
Mine is 5'4" tall and uses a push broom.

Roy

Chris Damm
09-04-2009, 7:59 AM
I've had many over the years, Yardman, Jacobson, Toro, but I've found that the best is a 2007 K2500HD with an 8' Snoway plow on the front!:D

Phil Thien
09-04-2009, 8:08 AM
MTD makes Craftsman, Toro, Yard Machine and several other brands sold by the hardware and Borgs. Most MTD models have plastic parts which do not seem to hold up in the cold temps. Prices are lower on MTD machines, but you get what you pay for.

Are you sure about that?

I thought Toro/Lawn Boy were the same outfit, and did all their own manufacturing.

I've seen MTD units and they look like a cheap knock-off of my Toro.

I have two Toros, one at home, one at the shop. Last year we had near-record snowfalls here in Milwaukee (and that's saying something).

I had no problem keeping a long driveway and sidewalk clean with my Toro snow spankers.

Their rubber power augers will clean down to the bare concrete. Both units use two-cycle engines that always start on the first or second pull (they have electric start but it is unneeded) in the most frigid of temps (provided you use fresh gas), and I'm typically done doing my driveway/walk in about 1/3 less time than the guys with the big two stage units.

My home Toro is now 15 years old. I think it is the CCR2200 or CCR2000 (something like that).

Maybe one storm a year is so bad that I have to the snow blowing at home halfway through the storm, and then again when its done. But I've seen guys with large 2-stage units that wait until the end and they break down.

Have I mentioned that I've never needed service for either Toro?

I love those things. They never let me down.

Jeff Monson
09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd search CL for a used toro, IMO they are the best out there, I've owned an MTD and a Craftsmen and the toro outperforms them on every level. I wouldnt be a bit afraid to buy a 10 year old toro that runs and looks good, take it in and have a new friction wheel put in and a new belt and tune up and you will be good for another 10 years.

Fred Voorhees
09-07-2009, 9:04 PM
Tim, I won't reccomend the snow thrower that I have 'cause it was way above your limit of expense, but I will say this.....get a two stage thrower!!!!! Two stage thrower!!!!! Not one stage. TWO STAGE THROWER!!!!!

Leo Graywacz
09-07-2009, 9:15 PM
In my book you have 3 choices. You can get an Ariens, an Ariens or you can go for the Ariens.

I bought my Ariens 824 (8HP 24") about 18 years ago and I still have it. I take pretty good care of it and keep it in the basement. It goes up and down the Bilco hatchway with a ramp I made. I have replaced one of the handles and had to get the body welded. But it is still working and I expect it to go for at least another 5 years. I paid $1100 for it and it was worth every penny. It really has to work hard because my driveway is in between two houses and 70' long. So I have to blow and reblow the snow over and over again to get it to a spot that I can discharge it to. Great machine in my book. Don't get one from HD, get it from an Ariens dealer. Change the oil once a year and the spark plug every other year. Keep the throw chute waxed.

Tim Wagner
09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I ended up with a two stage craftsman. had it for a little over a year and a half now. :) i am surprized this post came back around after all this time.:D

Leo Graywacz
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
It's Fred's fault......LOL

Rod Sheridan
09-08-2009, 8:19 AM
I am having trouble finding HP ratings for current models, they mostly list cc's. I believe there was some sort of legal issue about overstating HP ratings that compelled manufactures to stick to cc's (sound familiar, Shop Vacs owners?). In short, I am having trouble understanding what could be 'large enough' based on the cc measure.

Hi Augusto, I don't think anyone makes a two stage machine that's too small to be of good use.

My 5HP machine is 20" wide if I remember correctly, and it has 5 or 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds.

The larger machines clear a wider path, however they need more power to do that. That power comes at the expense of weight.

Toronto gets some pretty heavy snowfalls, and I am completely happy with my smaller machine.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Before that I had a 4HP Ariens machine, bought second hand. In total it had about 20 years of use on it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-08-2009, 9:17 AM
Husquvarna has some that are maybe worth owning.
Ariens used to have a good name: I Don't know if they still do.

Prolly the ones at the Borg will do just fine.
Unless you live in serious snow country a snow thrower will get less use than a lawn mower.

Dave Lehnert
09-08-2009, 3:43 PM
Talking about snow throwers..........

This would be too small for the OP but wanted to toss this out to everyone.

I live in Cincinnati. We get one or two good snows a year. a lot for us is 8" or so.
I have this Toro Electric model and is the best purchase I have ever made. Works way better than you would think. Look at the pic's on Amazon with it in use. So lite you can pick it up to clear the steps with it.
You can buy in season for around $279 from Amazon or Lowe's
http://www.amazon.com/Toro-18-Inch-Electric-Thrower-38025/dp/B00005OQMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1252438369&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XKlCVWP9L._AA280_.jpg
I have a 100 ft drive with a turn around and can do it in 20min with this. Clears the snow off to the pavement.

Augusto Orosco
09-08-2009, 4:17 PM
Hi Augusto, I don't think anyone makes a two stage machine that's too small to be of good use.

My 5HP machine is 20" wide if I remember correctly, and it has 5 or 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds.

The larger machines clear a wider path, however they need more power to do that. That power comes at the expense of weight.

Toronto gets some pretty heavy snowfalls, and I am completely happy with my smaller machine.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Before that I had a 4HP Ariens machine, bought second hand. In total it had about 20 years of use on it.

I think I will then simply look for any good deal in a two-stage thrower. Given my limited needs on this front, that should be more than enough.

Thanks for all the input!