PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket fence options

Tom Henderson2
01-17-2008, 1:24 AM
Greetings everyone.

I'm an "emerging" woodworker, and recently acquired a mid-1960's Craftsman contractor saw. This saw isn't much to write home about, but the price was right (free!) and it should be a step up from the RAS I've been using.

I'd like to upgrade the original fence to a 30" T-square variety and wonder what thoughts you folks might have. A true Biesemeyer is $400 and up, which seems pretty steep for an older CS.

Lowe's has the Delta T-2 for $150. It is in stock at the local store so it would be the most convenient.

The Shop Fox runs $225 and the Vega $260ish. Are either of those worth the additional cost compared to the T-2?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

scott spencer
01-17-2008, 7:16 AM
Considering that the T2 is a pretty decent fence in it's own right, and the saw isn't likely to have a resale value of much more than $150-$200, I think the T2 makes a lot of sense. The money saved is better spent towards a good blade, solid cast wing(s), and/or perhaps a link belt.

Sean Kinn
01-17-2008, 8:46 AM
Yep, I vote for the T2 as well. Heck, I'm going to put one on the Unisaw I am restoring.

Gary Warren
01-17-2008, 9:08 AM
I have the exact same old Craftsman saw and purchased a Jet "Micro Glide" fence for it with extended length as I built and added a router table wing in place of the original stamped metal right wing. I bought this at "The Cutting Edge" here in Houston and it bolted right up. I paid less than $100 for the entire kit including extended rail. I have been pleased with it as it stays true and square once set up. It is not as slick as a Biesemeyer but it will do as good as the saw is capable of producing. Just my 2 cents!

Vic Damone
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Unless your simply going to use this saw for ripping an occasional 2"x4" and aren't even going to spend the time doing any of the finer adjustments to make this a safer and more accurate tool then there are already some great suggestions. If you feel having this tool may open the door to more involvement with woodworking then I don't believe the quality of the saw should have an influence on any accessories you purchase.

It's been my experience that I've wasted more money buying second rate tools only to have them fail or to upgrade them later because of their lack of performance. If you feel this involvement will grow then purchase a fence that can be mounted on your next saw. If this makes sense I would suggest looking into a fence that provides simple and accurate repeatability, one that does not require your knuckles to be used as a vernier adjustment.

Keep your eye on the blade.

Vic

Fred Haydon
01-17-2008, 3:52 PM
Tom, congrats on your newest toy! I have one of those same vintage saws myself and I acquired it the same way as you. I took the time to give it complete cleaning, and a tune up. Invested a $100 on a used Ridgid fence and $125 on a Incra Miter Gauge and $50 on a SystiMatic combination blade. It cuts true, smooth and burn free all day long.

High quality performance doesn't always have to come with a big price tag. Do your homework, stick to your budget and trust your gut.

Cheers,
Fred

Cary Falk
01-17-2008, 5:40 PM
I think the T2 is a great choice. I had it on my contractor saw and it is a great fence for the price.

Josiah Bartlett
01-18-2008, 4:32 AM
The Shop Fox G9220 fence with the 52" rip capacity is a bargain at $275. The G8826 is the same fence with short rails. For $50 extra you get full rip capacity and outboard legs. I have the G9220 on my Unisaw, I really like it. It was very easy to install and set up, and I like the nice slippery teflon facings on the fence. Its pretty much a Biesmeyer clone. It is also much more solid and substantial than a T2, its made of very heavy welded steel box beams and you can pretty much use it to anchor a ship and it won't bend or slip.

Eddie Darby
01-18-2008, 3:09 PM
I have a Mule Accusquare fence and I am very happy with it ....except that they now have a new and improved version of it called Red Line, which seems to be the way of things. :)

http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/default.php

Suppose to be easier to mount, and doesn't involve drilling holes. The top of the fence has 2 "T" slot tracks which is nice.

The customer service I have received from Dave Wooland over the years has been the best bar none.

Scott Pearson
01-18-2008, 3:14 PM
I have a old Craftsman with a Vega aftermarket fence on it. I have been very happy with it, you can find them on Amazon.

Scott

Tom Henderson2
01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I want to thank everybody for taking the time to share your thoughts. It sounds like the T-2 is probably the best route for me. It should be a huge improvement over the existing fence, and frees up cash for other acquisitions... (like a decent Router, maybe a Planer, a good hand plane, some chisels... and.. and...)

If I enjoy WW'ing as much as I think I will, I'll probably trade up to a cabinet saw before too long.

Thanks again for your help.

-Tom H.

Cary Falk
01-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Tom,
I think you made a good choice. If for some reason you don't like it, the Shop Fox Classic is a low cost step up from the T2. I have one on my Unisaw and have not been dissapointed in it except for the magnified cursor which I am making a new one.

keith micinski
01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
You cant go wrong with that T-2 it really is a good fence for the money. Lowes just had them on sale for 135 a few weeks ago though so that kind of stinks.

Greg Just
01-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I have a old Craftsman with a Vega aftermarket fence on it. I have been very happy with it, you can find them on Amazon.

Scott

I have a Vega too and it works just fine, Got my on Amazon

Jim Heffner
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Tom, I have a T-2 fence on one of my saws....really like it and highly recommend it. If you decide on this fence...go to tool dept. manager
at Lowe's and talk to him (her) personally, tell them you have seen them
in the recent past for $125.00 price range...they just might match that price...would not hurt to try it. eezlock

Dewayne Garrett
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't recall what I paid but it was well worth it. I was looking at another but ended up with the JET
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2598

See last photo of it on the saw.

It was easy to install. Wish mine had a model number however so I could order an aftermarket kickback knife. May end up adding those wheels as a safety and one of the little splitters that go into the board around your blade.

Tom Henderson2
01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Dewayne-

That appears to be EXACTLY the same saw I just brought home. Mine was my fathers - model 113.29901

The model tag is most likely on back, on the bottom rail in the middle obscured by the motor. At least that is where mine was.

FWIW my Dad bought his in the mid-sixties.