PDA

View Full Version : Coffee filter storage

Gary Herrmann
01-16-2008, 11:48 PM
My neighbor came over with one of those funnel shaped coffee filters the other day. Wanted me to make something for the kitchen to hold the filters and the scoop.

I drew this up on the filter. Came out ok, I guess. I didn't finish it because he wasn't sure if he wanted to stain or paint it. He's going to paint, which bugs me a bit, because I like the grain.

First little commission of the new year.

Riftsawn white oak.

Steve Kolbe
01-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Very nice, Gary!

I agree. I like the graining too much to paint it...
How'd you create it? It's a little difficult from the image to see the edges / joints.

scott spencer
01-17-2008, 7:18 AM
I like it "as is" .... make another out of MDF for your neighbor! :rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
01-17-2008, 7:53 AM
Where's mine???? I the coffee king in the ST. Louis area. I think I have an interloper living next to Gary:)

Gary Herrmann
01-17-2008, 8:03 AM
Sorry, Jim. What was I thinking? Could be a good project for your visit.

Construction is very simple - mostly because I knew he might paint it.

Butt joints for the ends, dado for the inset bottom. Rounded the corners so it wouldn't look like a brick. It's all solid, no ply - since it's so small I didn't think movement would be too much of a problem, altho I did leave a tiny bit of room for it.

Jim Becker
01-17-2008, 9:21 AM
Yea, that's too pretty to paint! LOL (Nice work)

Dennis Kelly
01-17-2008, 2:18 PM
Hey Gary, what do you use for your backdrop in your photo? It is a very good color to photograph wood.

Deke

Russ Sears
01-17-2008, 2:55 PM
What is the small compartment on the right? Is that storage for a coffee scoop?
And, although it doesn't need to be said, painting that would be heresy.
Nice job!

Gary Herrmann
01-17-2008, 4:00 PM
Hey Gary, what do you use for your backdrop in your photo? It is a very good color to photograph wood.

Deke

I think its a gray sheet my wife had in the closet. :o

Tom Sontag
01-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I like it! That rift sawn oak is way more handsome than oak usually gets credit for.

Be careful about accepting commissions; next thing you know he'll be over for a kitchen to match. :eek:

Gary Herrmann
01-18-2008, 8:11 AM
Yeah Tom, I was pretty happy the way it turned out. I'm gonna have to get more rift sawn from you next time I come. Not this weekend tho - brrrrr