PDA

View Full Version : New Woodmaster 712

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 9:40 PM
Last thursday I took delivery of a new Woodmaster 712.
I ordered the barebones machine, as I will use it for moldings only.

I am replacing my old 912 Belsaw.

I started putting things together last friday morning and had ran 60' of 3 1/4" crown molding by noon.
This unit has the 5hp:eek: motor, with variable speed.
I get much better results by being able to slow the feed speed down making larger molding.

All in all I'm happy with the machine. It had a couple of items that I was a little put out by, but got everything together.

The mounting holes for the on/off switch and variable switch boxes were way to low on the machine to satisfy me. So I did some revamping and moved both boxes up, and side by side.
The height indicator for depth of cut, the slots for the mounting screws were too narrow. How in the world can they produce a part and not know that it doesn't fit. Had a few other things that I had to work around, but did get it up and running.

terry johnson
01-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Steve,

Congrats on your purchase. I also have a 712 that I use only to make
millwork. I bought the unit used and it has performed beautifully. My
machine is appoximately 12 years old. I too am a custom cabinetmaker
and this machine paid for itself very quickly. I now have a nice collection
of different knife profiles. I bought all of my knives from woodmaster and I
found their customer service to be friendly, well informed, and responsive.
Best of luck.

Terry Johnson

Fleming Island Finish Carpentry, Inc.

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Very nice, Steve!

I'm curious...was the Williams and Hussy molder in the running for this purchase, and if so, what made you choose the Woodmaster? Any others you considered? (Really...just curious)

Steve Clardy
01-17-2008, 9:54 AM
Very nice, Steve!

I'm curious...was the Williams and Hussy molder in the running for this purchase, and if so, what made you choose the Woodmaster? Any others you considered? (Really...just curious)

I considered the W&H Jim, even got the info pack.
But never got to the pricing on it.

James Suzda
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Steve,
I have a 712 also and I think one of the best "accessories" you can use is the gang saw. I sure like to be able to run all the material through and have every piece exactly the same width. I know it can be done on a table saw, but it is so much easier running 16' pieces of material through with the power feed.
Another thing I made for mine is 8' long in/out feed tables that make life a lot easier when running moldings.

Steve Clardy
01-21-2008, 1:59 PM
Steve,
I have a 712 also and I think one of the best "accessories" you can use is the gang saw. I sure like to be able to run all the material through and have every piece exactly the same width. I know it can be done on a table saw, but it is so much easier running 16' pieces of material through with the power feed.
Another thing I made for mine is 8' long in/out feed tables that make life a lot easier when running moldings.

Outfeed table is on the roundtoit list.

With the old belsaw, I have a table on rollers that worked somewhat.
But I think I need something that adjusts for height, or maybe a table that has a higher top on the end than from the front.
That way some of the molding wouldn't hit the front of the outfeed table as the molding droops down.

Steve Clardy
01-21-2008, 2:01 PM
Steve,

Congrats on your purchase. I also have a 712 that I use only to make
millwork. I bought the unit used and it has performed beautifully. My
machine is appoximately 12 years old. I too am a custom cabinetmaker
and this machine paid for itself very quickly. I now have a nice collection
of different knife profiles. I bought all of my knives from woodmaster and I
found their customer service to be friendly, well informed, and responsive.
Best of luck.

Terry Johnson

Fleming Island Finish Carpentry, Inc.

Yes. I have a few cutters from Woodmaster, but most I have gotten them from Ballew Saw and Tool. Custom ground.

This variable speed sure is nice!

Al Killian
01-21-2008, 3:21 PM
I have the 26" model and love it. They do pay for themselves very quickly. Before I bought mine(used) I looked at the W&H, but it was very costley and seemed to be alot more work for setting up,plus with the W&H you have to buy the stand,motor as a extra.:confused: I believe it was close to 2k with stand and motor, which is the the same cost as the woodmaster.

Rob Pope
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I have had a Woodmaster 718 for several months and have planned, ripped, and created moulding's (t&g) on it with great success (hobby use).

Never stand behind the boards you are putting in ... it will kick back .. measured about 30' in the air ... especially if you are sending in more that 1 board at a time.

My 718 has a dust/chip collection problem. I have it hooked up via a 10' long 4" hose to a 1600 cfm machine only getting about 80% of the chips (we are working outside so not sure about dust) .. going to try a 5' long 5" hose next week with a reducer on the machine.

If you do tongue and grove .. then expect to damage the feed rollers .

Rob

larry merlau
01-17-2009, 6:28 PM
you get all the neat toys:)

Steve Clardy
01-17-2009, 6:41 PM
Hey you have some neat ones also. ;):D

David Freed
01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
My 718 has a dust/chip collection problem. I have it hooked up via a 10' long 4" hose to a 1600 cfm machine only getting about 80% of the chips (we are working outside so not sure about dust) .. going to try a 5' long 5" hose next week with a reducer on the machine.

Rob

The 5" hose won't help if you put a reducer on it. It will just be like a funnel; the bigger hose won't make any more air go through the smaller hole.

Here is what I did to dramatically help with dust collection. It is used as a gang rip, with most of the dust being made on the one side. If I were using the full width on a regular basis, I would add a third port on the other side.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/freedhardwoods/Woodshop/Woodmaster_Gang_Rip_Saw_008_opt-Cop.jpg

Bruce Page
01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Congrats Steve!
You must make a lot of molding.

Neal Clayton
01-18-2009, 6:47 AM
Very nice, Steve!

james hit the nail on the head. the saw blade shaft for the woodmaster gives you the means of making 16 foot blanks. without it there'd be no way to do so in most small shops who are without a gang rip saw.

Neal Clayton
01-18-2009, 6:50 AM
Very nice, Steve!

james hit the nail on the head. the saw blade shaft for the woodmaster gives you the means of making 16 foot blanks from rough lumber. without it there'd be no way to do so in most small shops without a gang rip saw.

David Freed
01-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I am another fan of Woodmaster's all in one machines. For a hobbyist with limited room, it does a good job in each of its capacities, and lets you buy one machine instead of several. Personally, I am not a fan of switching a machine back and forth from one capacity to another. I have my 718 set up as a dedicated straightline/gangrip and it does a great job. At the moment I am having money trouble, but someday I would like to have 2 or 3 Woodmasters in my shop set up as dedicated machines. They are simple, well designed machines.

Steve,
I am sure you will like your new "toy". I also moved the on/off switches, but for different reasons.

James Biddle
01-18-2009, 9:38 PM
Steve,
Did you get the new production molding head or the standard one that comes with the Pro-Pack? A friend of mine tells me the new corrigated knives are very easy to align on the new head.

Steve Clardy
01-18-2009, 9:54 PM
I got the bare bones 712 James.

I run all the cutters on the planer head.
I have a adapter plate made long ago by a guy in KC so I can run 1/4" corrugated knives. Bill at WDR Sales.
I had this setup in my old 912 Belsaw.

Joe Von Kaenel
01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Steve,

I also have a 712, I use it as a planer, molder and drum sander. The machine is built like a tank and also made in the USA!! American made was the clincher for me. Enjoy.

Joe

dirk martin
11-27-2009, 4:31 AM
I have had a Woodmaster 718 for several months and have planned, ripped, and created moulding's (t&g) on it with great success (hobby use).

Never stand behind the boards you are putting in ... it will kick back .. measured about 30' in the air ... especially if you are sending in more that 1 board at a time.

If you do tongue and grove .. then expect to damage the feed rollers .

Rob

Sorry to reactivate such an old post...but I'm wondering if Rob can expound on his comment regarding ruining the feed rollers....

Neal Clayton
11-27-2009, 12:00 PM
the feed rollers are rubber coated copper rods, not serrated steel like most planers are. the machine needs more grip than a typical planer.

so you eventually wear them out, especially when running boards through on edge. they're not delicate like home depot plastic tool delicate, i ran about 4 thousand board feet through mine before i thought the roller covers needed replacing. even then i just shifted over to the left a bit and kept going on a good spot. i figure after another 4-5 thousand feet i'll probably have to break down and replace them.