PDA

View Full Version : Keep the wormhole? Lathe Q too.

Joe Tonich
02-29-2004, 7:35 PM
I finally was able to get a little shop time and cut, drilled & tubed blanks for 9 pens. I have this really nice Canarywood board with lots of colors and wanted to see what it would look like as a pen. Actually had time to turn one of them. :D Unfortunately it has wormholes and some don't show up till its turned. :( Should I leave it or turn another end? I like it but would someone else?? Any opinions?

Now the lathe Q. I have a JET 1236 that the VS doesn't work. It slowed down but now it won't speed back up. Any ideas? I can't find the book that came with it right now to see if it has any troubleshooting ideas. :(

Thanks,

Joe

Here's some pics of the pen. the wormhole is the long spot on the right end.

Greg Heppeard
02-29-2004, 7:52 PM
Joe,
My vote is leave the hole. As for your lathe question, you can get a copy of your manual online at www.wmhtoolgroup.com

Julie Wright
02-29-2004, 8:16 PM
Keep the worm hole !!

When is the last time you blew out your motor? Might be time for that.

Joe Breid
02-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Joe,

When I first got my Jet 1236 lathe I had the same problem that you are describing. I could move the control lever all the way to the highest speed but the lathe would only come up to about 1/3 speed.

I took the cover off of the headstock and found that the half of the pulley that moves to adjust the speed was hanging up on the shaft due to some cosmoline that was put on the shaft to protect it from rust.

The shifting yoke would pull away from the bearing that it uses to push against the pulley. This is why the control lever would go from low to high but the actuall speed would not.

I cleaned the shaft up with WD40 and worked the the speed control through the whole speed range and have not had any more problems.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Joe Tonich
03-01-2004, 4:12 PM
Joe,

When I first got my Jet 1236 lathe I had the same problem that you are describing. I could move the control lever all the way to the highest speed but the lathe would only come up to about 1/3 speed.

I took the cover off of the headstock and found that the half of the pulley that moves to adjust the speed was hanging up on the shaft due to some cosmoline that was put on the shaft to protect it from rust.

The shifting yoke would pull away from the bearing that it uses to push against the pulley. This is why the control lever would go from low to high but the actuall speed would not.

I cleaned the shaft up with WD40 and worked the the speed control through the whole speed range and have not had any more problems.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks Joe, Julie, Greg,

That is what was happening. Needed a screwdriver to get the pulley to slide apart. :( Cleaned it up with WD40 & then sprayed W/Dry film lube. Blew out the motor. Works smoother than when I first ran it! :D Went to the website but couldn't find a manual for the 1236. :( They have them for the mini & bigger lathes though. The worm hole will stay.:D Personally, I've grown to like the imperfections in the wood and sometimes go out of my way to find little "gems" like them or well placed knots.

Joe