PDA

View Full Version : Bent Unisaw cabinet

Bob Stritzke
01-16-2008, 7:53 PM
I purchased a used unisaw 36-812. The blade did not retract below the top. After is removed the top I found the corners of the cabinet had been bent down. Probably someone put something very heavy on it. Question: Should the top of the cabinet be straight and lever? I would assume that it should be.

Joe Jensen
01-16-2008, 8:04 PM
Yes, they should be straight. Maybe someone thought they could cut deeper if they bent the cabinet this way? Take a look for any other modifications...joe

Pete Bradley
01-16-2008, 8:05 PM
Mine is flat and I believe all years are, but not sure. I'd be looking at the raise/lower gear assembly for the cause. There's a worm that moves a gear segment to go up and down.

Pete

Bob Stritzke
01-16-2008, 8:23 PM
Mine is flat and I believe all years are, but not sure. I'd be looking at the raise/lower gear assembly for the cause. There's a worm that moves a gear segment to go up and down.

Pete
I've removed the trunnions and all other internal parts of the saw. They are OK. There is a definite bend on the top of the cabinet. I will need to adjust the nut on the shaft to control movement up and down. It was loose and need some adjustment.

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 8:37 PM
A bent cabinet could cause all kinds of interesting alignment situations including with bevels since the factory shimming (if any) of the table top is toast.

Bob Stritzke
01-16-2008, 8:48 PM
A bent cabinet could cause all kinds of interesting alignment situations including with bevels since the factory shimming (if any) of the table top is toast.
That's what I figured. Planned on bending the corners back as close as I can. Then will shim the trunnions to make them flat and level. Then shim the top when it is installed.
The price was sweet, so I'll deal with some of the problems. Besides, it gives me a chance to get to know the workings of the saw.

Jack Clay
01-17-2008, 1:28 PM
Another option is to replace the cabinet. I do not know what year you have but I have a 40’s and 60’s and they fit the same. I would not be surprise if they would fit even the newer cabinets. They are not very expensive on the used market.