PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Lathe Gloat

Gilbert Vega
01-16-2008, 6:52 PM
Just got word from Joe Osolnik that my 3520B will be shipped tomorrow. Just couldn't pass on the low price as well as the $100 rebate from WMH.

I have to say that they have EXCELLENT customer service. I placed the order yesterday and he has already called me 3 times to update me on the order status. I wish more companies followed his example. :)

Ben Gastfriend
01-16-2008, 6:58 PM
CONGRATS from a mustard wannabe!

Don't forget pictures when it arrives!

(Should I just copy and paste this in the duplicate thread...?)

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2008, 6:59 PM
Congrats Gilbert!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

George Guadiane
01-16-2008, 7:27 PM
Just got word from Joe Osolnik that my 3520B will be shipped tomorrow. Just couldn't pass on the low price as well as the $100 rebate from WMH.

I have to say that they have EXCELLENT customer service. I placed the order yesterday and he has already called me 3 times to update me on the order status. I wish more companies followed his example. :)
Congratulations on good choices all the way around.
I got my mustard monster from Joe as well, FANTASTIC service, even after delivery.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2008, 7:41 PM
Congrats Gilbert! You will like that Mustard!

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 7:57 PM
Congrats on your order, Gilbert! 'Can't wait to see that puppy assembled in your shop and so dirty from hard use, you can't find the "mustard" part! LOL

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2008, 9:29 PM
Congrats Gilbert. After your troubles before you are definitely in for a treat. You deserve it my friend. Have some fun now.

Thomas Canfield
01-16-2008, 9:57 PM
Welcome to the Mustard Club. I received mine from Osolnik right after Thanksgiving, and am really enjoying it. Joe was very helpful and always answers the phone himself. I have posted about electronic noise problem from the lathe that required a change in the remote control of my dust collector, but that seems to be corrected now and the DC is even more responsive to the remote with the wired magnetic contactor in the power line.

Jim Underwood
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe! As one who has been going to physical therapy twice a week for back pain, I hope you didn't hurt your back too badly, and that you're making shavings right soon.

I guess I have to admit I'm suffering from big lathe envy... Maybe I should start a Jet mini envy club...:D

Mike Peace
01-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Got mine from Joe Osolnik also. Terrific customer service. My problem with the lift gate service was the freight carrier and nothing to do with Joe's service as it was outside his control.

Pete Jordan
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Try to get some sleep Gilbert! You made a great decision!

Gilbert Vega
01-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys for confirming that I made the right decision.

I'm already day-dreaming about what else I need to order to complete the package. Will have to get some 1 1/4" x 8 chuck adapters, new 1" tool post for my curved tool rests, have to get the 18" extension, maybe a remote on/off switch, etc., etc. It was kind of funny, when the LOML agreed to let me get the lathe, the first thing she said was not to be coming up with a list of additional gear I was going to "need". :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2008, 12:28 AM
It was kind of funny, when the LOML agreed to let me get the lathe, the first thing she said was not to be coming up with a list of additional gear I was going to "need". :rolleyes:

I suppose once it delivers.....you could clean the cosmoline off of it and spend your days polishing and waxing it!:eek::rolleyes::D

Gilbert Vega
01-17-2008, 12:41 AM
I suppose once it delivers.....you could clean the cosmoline off of it and spend your days polishing and waxing it!:eek::rolleyes::D

You're totally right!! I'll tell her that after all the money I spent, I can do nothing but look at it. (quitely gathering my blanket and heading to the garage) :D

Actually, after a week or so, she won't mind if I buy more gear.

Gilbert Vega
01-17-2008, 12:45 AM
I will need to run 220v to the garage and luckily I have an abandoned 220v outlet that runs over the garage and is not being used after my kitchen remodel. Can someone tell me what kind of electrical plug the lathe comes with? Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Gilbert,

It comes with a 6' pigtail with no plug IIRC. I'd put a 20 amp twist lock plug on it.

Kurt Bird
01-17-2008, 7:26 AM
Gilbert,
The PM3520B is shipped without a plug, so that you can put on what you want. BTW, I think you made the right choice, and Joe Osolnik and his company are super! Just a suggestion: I wired a double pole, single throw switch inline with the outlet, so that when I finish turning for the day I can flip the switch to disconnect all power to the lathe. Good turnings to you!
Kurt Bird:D

Clem Wixted
01-17-2008, 9:30 AM
I will need to run 220v to the garage and luckily I have an abandoned 220v outlet that runs over the garage and is not being used after my kitchen remodel. Can someone tell me what kind of electrical plug the lathe comes with? Thanks.

Gilbert,

The lathe comes with a wire and NO plug. You can use whatever one you want to. The lathe only draws about 6 amps so you don't need an outlet that is rated for anything too high. A 220 v plug and socket rated for 15 amps will be sufficient.

What size wire do you have running up above and what size breeaker do you have?

I have a 3520 and am using #12 wire and a 15 amp plug and outlet and a 15 amp breaker. Some people put a double pole single throw switch in line with the outlet so you can shut off the lathe without unplugging it. I unplug mine after I use it.

Clem

P.S. I posted my response without looking at the second page. My response was redudnant. Good advice above.

Pat Doble
01-17-2008, 9:47 AM
Congrats on the new machinery. I ordered mine from Joe as well - great communication and service. You will absolutely love your mustard....

Gilbert Vega
01-23-2008, 12:04 AM
It arrived!! The PM got here today. A buddy of mine helped me un-crate it and set it up. First impressions was that the lathe is very sturdy and very HEAVY.

I ended up running a 10-2 line from the main electrical panel to the garage and still need to complete the hookup at the panel. So the lathe is just sitting there looking purty. I can hardly wait to try it.:(

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2336/2213551186_04c45edf20.jpg?v=0 http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/2212756755_36152d857c.jpg?v=0

Scott Hubl
01-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Congratulations Gil,
How SWEET they are! I'm hopefully waiting on the income tax check for mine.

Powermatic- " The GOLD Standard"

Congrats, YOU SUCK! ;)

Don Eddard
01-23-2008, 6:54 AM
Congrats Gilbert. I got mine from Joe O too. Good people.

William Bachtel
01-23-2008, 7:37 AM
Comes without a plug. Your choice

Clem Wixted
01-23-2008, 8:51 AM
Gilbert,

You might consider putting in a sub panel in the shop/garage. Your lathe pulls less than 7 amps so you could put in more than one 220 outlet. If you ever need 220 for a vacuum pump or dust collector, or whatever might be in the future, you will have the outlets to handle them. And they will be on their own circuits.

Did you run 10-2 WITH GROUND? If you ran 10-3 with ground you could also have some 120 outlets as well.

Clem

Glenn Hodges
01-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Congratulations, from what I hear you will really start to enjoy wood turning.

Gilbert Vega
01-23-2008, 3:49 PM
Hi Clem, I ran 10-2 with ground. I also ran a 12-2 with ground on a 20a breaker to give me more outlets. For whatever reason, I decided to keep them separate and figured it was just as easy (but more expensive) to run two separrate wires.

On your suggestion, I thought about using a junction box for a second 220 plug. Is that within code or do I need to run a sub panel?
Gilbert

Gilbert,

You might consider putting in a sub panel in the shop/garage. Your lathe pulls less than 7 amps so you could put in more than one 220 outlet. If you ever need 220 for a vacuum pump or dust collector, or whatever might be in the future, you will have the outlets to handle them. And they will be on their own circuits.

Did you run 10-2 WITH GROUND? If you ran 10-3 with ground you could also have some 120 outlets as well.

Clem

Clem Wixted
01-23-2008, 7:59 PM
Gilbert,

I don't know Texas code but you should be OK. Just make sure that you use #10 to connect each outlet. It will be hard to work but if you have a 30 Amp breaker you need to keep your wire the same size.

You might consider using the #12 for your two 220 V circuits because your current draw will be relatively low, depending on what else you might connect to it. You could use a sub panel with a few breakers for the 120 V circuits. Talk to an electrician friend, if you have one, or the guys at an electrical supply place. They should know the code in your locality. There are other considerations, such as insurance, that you might want to consider, if you are unsure of the code. Not a problem unless or until you might have a claim. The final authority is the electrical inspector in your city, no matter what anyone else says.

Clem

Gilbert Vega
01-23-2008, 8:11 PM
Clem, I used 10-2 all the way to the plug and even the extension cord I may end up using. I did this in case I need to go to 30a service, like for a welder or a larger hp in some other tool. I did have some problems getting the 10 ga. wire into some of the 20a plugs. I ended up drilling the clear plasstic shrould to allow the wire to fit into the screwed lugs in the plug.

Clem Wixted
01-23-2008, 8:19 PM
Gilbert, Sounds like you have things under control. That 10 guage wire is a bear to work with.

Now go turn with your new "golden" toy. You've spent enough time with electrical wiring.

Clem