PDA

View Full Version : Half a century ---sheez!

Fred Voorhees
01-16-2008, 6:22 PM
Yup, tomorrow (Thur) I hit 50 years old. Age, I guess, used to bother me, but nowadays, I look at it this way. ...... in just another five years I can retire and do things that I truly enjoy. I look forward to having all day to work in the shop.....or not if I don't partcularly want to. I look forward to getting up at maybe five in the morning to hit a certain lake or river with my boat and doing some bass or pickeral fishing. Heck, I even look forward to sometimes doing - NOTHING! A year after I retire, my brother will do the same and we can both enjoy our common love of fishing. We will plan some fishing trips that will take us where we would like to go now, but life, family and other things just seem to prevent. I might even get back into auto racing journalism, where the door has always been left open at the weekly racing newspaper where I once penned a weekly column and frequent racing event reports. The grass will be cut much more regularly, the house will be attended to with a little more care, heck, I might even learn to cook a little better and maybe, just maybe even learn how to do the laundry while the wife is still earning a living.

Yup, I turn fifty tomorrow. Holy cow, where has the time gone? I began dating my wife when her son was just three years old. Now he has worked his way through high school and college and just last year got married and bought a house and now he teaches college. My hair is turning gray and my bones remind me that they are there every morning when I crawl out of bed to head off to work.

I remember when I turned thirty and to me, it seemed as if age was catching up to me. Now, shoot, thirty is so far behind me, my shadow laughs at it. But, life is fairly good. I have a wonderful wife, a job that keeps us "comfortable" and I am able to afford my hobby of woodworking at a level that I want to have it at. Fifty ain't so bad I guess. Afterall, heck, it's only a number.

Tom Veatch
01-16-2008, 6:38 PM
Yup, tomorrow (Thur) I hit 50 years old. ....

Durn kids!:D

Happy Birthday!

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 6:43 PM
Hey, I survived it, Fred...and will hit 51 in a month and a half. At least you'll get to retire a lot sooner than me! LOL (Unless that dang Prize Patrol finds my driveway soon, that is...)

Congrats on your first half century and here's to a wonderful second one!

Billy Chambless
01-16-2008, 6:56 PM
Happy Birthday!

I can remember when 40 seemed old; now 50 seems less than middle-aged. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2008, 7:43 PM
Happy Birthday Fred!

50 won't be old the day after tomorrow!:D

Bruce Page
01-16-2008, 7:49 PM
Happy Birthday Fred.
As Glenn Bradley’s tag line says “ Fifty is not old…..if you’re a tree” :D

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 8:18 PM
When I hit 50, it was 2 days before I realized I had a birthday.:o:rolleyes:

Randy Klein
01-16-2008, 8:28 PM
Happy Birthday. I'll share with you what my dad had to say when he turned 60. link to long reading (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60412)

David Duke
01-16-2008, 8:33 PM
Your gonna beat me there by a couple of weeks Fred, let me know how it feels..............

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Shepard
01-16-2008, 8:48 PM
Happy Birthday:)
My 50 is coming up in a month or so. Guess they can call us Half-Geezers now.

Joe Melton
01-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I wish I was 50 and know what I know today.
Joe

David G Baker
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Ah, to be 50 again!
Happy Birthday

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-17-2008, 1:26 PM
Fred
Say, concerning another subject
Keep your eye on Norm Benning #57 Chevrolet at Daytona
Thats the guy I work with occasionally, now days.
I know - he's last - but I hope that he has a good engine for the 500.

Remember he runs the number 84 ARCA car and will be running the whole season which also starts in Daytona a week ahead of the 500.
His garage is 3 miles form my home.
you can check out some photos at normbenningracing.com

Well, Happy half century to you Fred.
Hope that it was a nice day for you.
Daniel

Jim King
01-17-2008, 1:43 PM
When I was a kid I remember thinking that 60 was REALLY old. Now I know I was right.

As they say the worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Mike Henderson
01-17-2008, 1:56 PM
Happy Birthday. You've survived the first half - what will you do in the second half of your life? Think of the possibilities!

Mike

Sam Yerardi
01-17-2008, 2:41 PM
I'll be 53 next month. I know the feeling. But like Mike says, I'm looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Happy Birthday!

Bob Rufener
01-17-2008, 3:53 PM
Age to me has become more irrelevant. I go to bed every night and thank God for another day. Everyone who has had a bout with cancer, heart problems, or other life threatening situations knows what I mean.

Happy Birthday and live life to the fullest. We never know when it will end abruptly.