PDA

View Full Version : Stickley/Ellis inlays. Looking for period examples.

Mitchell Andrus
01-16-2008, 5:14 PM
At about 1905 some fine examples of marquetry (today just called 'inlays') were produced by Gus Stickley with his designer Harvey Ellis, and some are incredibly rare. I have the book "Shop Drawings by Lang" and while the drawings included are good for starters, they are far from accurate enough for my market.

I've been reproducing some of the more accessible inlays and I'm trying to complete a library of designs to offer to the trade.

If you happen to have any clear photos of period chair panels, door panels, legs, accent designs, please let me know. I'd also be interested in any other turn-of-the-century designs that might be of interest.

Thanks.
mitch@missionfurnishings.com

examples:

Mike Duffy
01-16-2008, 7:11 PM
Can't help, but I'd love to see your completed collection when it's available. :)

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 8:51 PM
Bob Lang is an SMC member, Mitchell...perhaps you can PM him for information about other sources. He's a very helpful guy!

Mitchell Andrus
01-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Click around, you'll find it now.

Mitchell Andrus
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
We spoke on the phone about two years ago. Yes, he was.

Greg Cole
01-17-2008, 9:28 AM
I'm no help here, but at least I know what the avatar pic is now.:rolleyes:
'Least I think I do....

Greg

Scott Pearson
01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Robert Lang also offers the inlay patterns in CAD format on a CD. Maybe that would be accurate enough.

Goto craftsmanplans.com and click on the shop drawings book and it has a link to the CD.

Scott

Mitchell Andrus
01-17-2008, 1:46 PM
Yes, you do.

Mitchell Andrus
01-17-2008, 1:51 PM
Yes, I have that too. You've got to own a laser and work with Corel X3 in order to know just how much easier it is to enter the designs with a mouse. Bob's designs are OK for one-offs, not accurate enugh for me to put into production, and x-fering these to another format is rough.

I've got an ad in Woodwork and do quite a lot of these and would like to stay as true to the originals as possible. That means working from a photograph - even an old grainy one... See my examples on my site for "original/new" comparisons. It's a commercial site so I can't paste it here, but if you click my name, you'll get there and see some of the process.

Alan Trout
01-17-2008, 2:47 PM
Man you are looking for hens teeth. You are right anything Harvey Ellis is rare. If there is anyone in Flagstaff Arizona the Riordon House has many examples of Harvey Ellis furniture. They were friends with Gustav Stickley and have many wonderful pieces. It is a state park so if someone has a good camera they could help you out. I also have the entire collection of the "The Craftsman" Magazine on CD. Later I will check and see if there are any really good pictures or photos. I am not real sure if there are any I mostly use them as a reference or architectural details being on of my houses is from a Stickley plan. It's 8 CD's worth so it might take some time.

Good Luck

Alan

Brad Shipton
01-17-2008, 2:52 PM
Have you been following the Furniture and Cabinet articles over the past 3mons? They have been running articles featuring marquetry and I believe there may be some useful links listed in the UK.

Mitchell Andrus
01-17-2008, 3:24 PM
Hens teeth, yep! I've seen about every print source (been working on this for 5 years). I'm 20 mins from the Craftsman Farms, and they've been helpful.

I built the piano reproduction in the Girl's bedroom about six years back. They had a fellow do the inlays - rather poorly. I resolved then to do a better job:

http://www.stickleymuseum.org/girlsbedroom.php

Bob Lang
01-17-2008, 4:22 PM
Hi Mitch,

I feel your pain. Good photos are very hard to come by. I think the lack you note in my drawings is due to the quality of the photos I had to work with. Get in touch with me and I'll share what I've got, but if you've been working with available printed sources, you likely have the same or better examples than mine.

best regards,

Bob Lang

Mitchell Andrus
01-17-2008, 6:10 PM
Hey, Bob.

Much of my work has been for people who really know their stuff and are NUTS! If Gus didn't touch it himself.... Y'know.... Matching a piece is sometimes critical, like the piano at the Farms.

I get a few pics now and then from sympathetic dealers. Some are OK, some are not A&C but interesting and/or fodder for later projects.