PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft - Delayed Shipment of LN Rabeting Block Plane?

Jason White
01-16-2008, 4:01 PM
Woodcraft had the Lie-Nielsen rabbeting block planes on sale recently, but they've been backordered about a month.

Has anybody who has ordered one received it yet?

Jason

Jim McFarland
01-16-2008, 5:17 PM
...backordered until 25th of January per last WC email I received (slipped from Jan 4 to Jan 11 and now 25th). Seems like a good deal so I'm willing to wait. BTW, thanks for posting news of the sale -- I ordered the day I saw your post.

Tyler Howell
01-16-2008, 5:21 PM
I got mine!!!
But it is from the sale 1.5 years ago.
Great plane!

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 5:22 PM
Worth the frustrating wait...

David Tiell
01-16-2008, 5:42 PM
It's a great plane and worth the wait at that price! As for Woodcraft and backorders, I know you say they have pushed back the shipping date again, but maybe they will surprise you. When I ordered my LN medium shoulder plane about mid-December, I was told it wouldn't ship til 28 December. BUT, it showed up on my front porch on the 21st just in time to be wrapped for Christmas!

Good luck either way.

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 6:03 PM
Sure glad I saw this post.

I ordered mine 12/28

Received them about 4-5 days later

Put the box up, unopened and...............forgot about them :eek::confused::eek::eek:

I just spent 15 minutes searching the shop and just did find the box.;)

Opened it up, and the triplets are all safe and sound :D

Don C Peterson
01-16-2008, 6:11 PM
I love mine, just watch your grip when using it. There's be a couple of times I stained my project with my own blood because my thumb or finger wandered.

Steve,

What do you need three of these planes for and how in the world could you possibly just forget you had them?:eek::p

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 6:42 PM
Have no idea how I managed to forget them :confused::confused::confused:

Only have 2 hands. So I got a spare. :D:p:D:D

I'll probably sell a couple of them down the road sometime.

Jason White
01-16-2008, 7:03 PM
Normally I'd agree, except that I've got a general carpentry job that I need it for. I need to plane back the edge of a few window stools to make room for some replacement windows I'm installing (standard thickness of a replacement window is 3-1/4" and I've only got about 3-1/8" to work with on some of the openings.

Oh well. I guess I can get by with a chisel and belt sander!

Jason

Worth the frustrating wait...

David Tiell
01-16-2008, 8:15 PM
Normally I'd agree, except that I've got a general carpentry job that I need it for. I need to plane back the edge of a few window stools to make room for some replacement windows I'm installing (standard thickness of a replacement window is 3-1/4" and I've only got about 3-1/8" to work with on some of the openings.

Oh well. I guess I can get by with a chisel and belt sander!

Jason
Go to one of the Borgs or just about any antique store and get a Stanley 60 1/2 to tide you over.

Jason White
01-16-2008, 8:23 PM
I checked Home Depot hoping they'd have a cheapo Buck Bros. rabbet plane. No luck. Just the same block plane I bought from them years ago.

J

Go to one of the Borgs or just about any antique store and get a Stanley 60 1/2 to tide you over.

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 8:27 PM
Call L-N and see if they can ship you one "now"...you may pay just a little more, but...

Matt Wilson
01-16-2008, 9:25 PM
Woodcraft had the Lie-Nielsen rabbeting block planes on sale recently, but they've been backordered about a month.

Jason

I ordered mine on Dec 29. It arrived Jan 9. Took a few extra days because it had to clear customs...

Pam Niedermayer
01-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, if someone really wants one day after tomorrow, I'll sell mine, unused, box is a tad unnew, for $300 + shipping via Paypal.

Pam

Bill Brehme
01-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Boy, LN must be behind on everything!!!:(

I ordered the Independence Dovetail Saw on 12/28 from Woodcraft...:rolleyes:

They said it was 11 days on backorder.;) ...Ok cool.:cool:

After 15 days I called Woodcraft to find out whats up:confused:

They said the saw was backed up till 1/21!:mad::mad::mad:

I shoulda went w/ the Wenzloff, which was what I really wanted, I went w/ the LN because I wanted a DT saw sooner... Oh well:(

Martin Cash
01-17-2008, 1:23 AM

I shoulda went w/ the Wenzloff, which was what I really wanted, I went w/ the LN because I wanted a DT saw sooner... Oh well:(

For what it's worth.
I found that it was way quicker to buy a Wenzloff through Lee Valley than to order through The Wenzloff web site.
Regards
MC

Bill Brehme
01-17-2008, 3:35 AM
Thanx Martin.

The upside is that I can still PULL the LN order... :D

Jay Jolliffe
01-17-2008, 6:04 AM
Theres one on e-bay that ends in 3 days & it's at $ 92.00. It's new in the plastic wrapper....

Jay Jolliffe
01-17-2008, 6:13 AM
They sell for 150.00 so thats quite the mark up. If people want to pay that much I'll go to the Lie Nielsen store & buy a few to send out. I'm about 10 miles away.....Well after I take a boat ride then its 10 miles...:)

Bob Noles
01-17-2008, 6:41 AM
Got mine about 2 weeks ago and sleep with it under my pillow every night :D

Marcus Ward
01-17-2008, 7:09 AM
That's a good price, cheaper than vintage 507s on ebay. I already have a stanley 140 so I think I can safely resist....

Pam Niedermayer
01-17-2008, 7:20 AM
Oops, I was talking about the bench 10-1/4 that goes for $350 new. Now if you want a 60-1/2, I've got one that's still in the box, would be willing to sell it for $110 plus shipping. I just unwrapped it and and found a bit of surface rust on the top outside, gained while wrapped in the anti-rust paper.

Pam, who's not trying to rip off anyone

Michael McCoy
01-17-2008, 7:40 AM
I bought one just as the sale started and it turned out that my son also got me one for Christmas so I still have one sitting in the box.

Tyler Howell
01-17-2008, 7:56 AM
Oops, I was talking about the bench 10-1/4 that goes for $350 new. Now if you want a 60-1/2, I've got one that's still in the box, would be willing to sell it for $110 plus shipping. I just unwrapped it and and found a bit of surface rust on the top outside, gained while wrapped in the anti-rust paper.

Pam, who's not trying to rip off anyone
Shame Pam,:mad:
You should be playing with those toys:D

Pam Niedermayer
01-17-2008, 8:19 AM
Well, I have this problem with too much duplication. Fact is I have Japanese planes that do the same jobs, and it's much easier to sell LN planes than the Japanese.

Pam

Steve Clardy
01-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Got mine about 2 weeks ago and sleep with it under my pillow every night :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thats a funny right there Bob. :D

Steve Beadle
01-17-2008, 2:31 PM
I was reading the Woodcraft flyer on a Saturday morning about 9:00 AM and saw the price. About an hour later I had it in my hot little hands! From experience I knew it was best to get to the store as early as possible, before they sold out of the stock on hand and I would have to wait for another shipment to arrive.

It is a beautiful little plane, and my first Lie-Nielsen. It will look very nice alongside my LVs and Stanleys.

Ralph Wiggum
01-17-2008, 5:51 PM
I ordered one about a week after the flyer came out from Woodcraft. Got it in about 5 days. guess I was lucky.

Jason White
01-17-2008, 7:28 PM
Yeah -- but free shipping was part of the deal, too.

Argh!!!!!

J

Call L-N and see if they can ship you one "now"...you may pay just a little more, but...

Jason White
01-18-2008, 7:14 PM
Just for fun, I stopped by my local Woodcraft store to see if they got any more of these in stock. They did! So I cancelled my online order and brought it home today.

I'm a little surprised (and worried) at how small the mouth on this plane is, however. I wish it was adjustable like on my other LN block plane. There are times with trim carpentry where I need a bigger shaving than what I can do with this plane. Seems better suited for fine-tuning things like tenons, etc. in furniture-making.

Sure is pretty, though!

Jason

Jason

Jason White
01-19-2008, 8:00 PM
Well, it's a great plane and a work of art. But....

I took it back to Woodcraft and exchanged it for a Stanley Bullnose Rabbet Plane No. 90 (made in the UK). Much better for my trim carpentry needs right now, plus it was less $$. Adjustable mouth, can get tight into corners like a "chisel" plane, etc.

Oh well. I'm quite happy with it, though!

Jason

Steve Clardy
01-19-2008, 8:07 PM
Cute little bugger :D

Dave Lehnert
01-20-2008, 8:15 PM

If you want a LN saw. Call the Cincinnati Woodcraft store. They had two last week in the display case. They will ship out UPS from the store.

Louis Rucci
01-20-2008, 8:39 PM
I haven't ordered one, but am contemplating it.

Problem is, I have an original Sargent 507.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/Sargent50702/photo#5157738126738240546

Decisions, decisions, decisions.;)

Jason White
01-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I'd ask to test the LN one before you buy. The mouth/throat on that older one looks to be bigger than the newer LN model.

Jason

Wayne Wheeling
01-24-2008, 8:43 PM
Mine came in the mail today! Nice!

j.e.mike tobey
01-25-2008, 7:40 AM
From Woodcraft?mt

Wayne Wheeling
01-25-2008, 8:11 AM
Yes, From January 2 order.