PDA

View Full Version : TV Stand Progress - Pics

Jim Becker
02-29-2004, 7:11 PM
A few weeks ago I posted a conceptual picture of a low stand to accommodate our 30" LCD flat screen TV better than the table it's currently resting on...as a matter of fact, it looked like this:

http://sawsndust.com/images/webdisplay/tv-stand.jpg

Well, this week it got built after getting the material milled up last weekend and the panels glued up. The top and "legs" are 1¼" thick walnut that was milled off our property a few years ago. The shelf for the various components is constructed with 4/4 material and is built to allow air flow from the bottom by using slats. Although I originally was going to get down and dirty and do the whole M&T thing, I ended up deciding to use faux tenons that cover screws and glue...it was largely time consideration that caused that change. The "legs" (end panels) are set at a 10º angle to the top and sit in dadoes. Screws from both the top inside the faux mortises and angled through from the underside resulted in a very, very strong joint...this piece could become a very nice bench should we incorporate the video equipment into other cabinetry in the future.

I did make a boo-boo when cutting the dadoes for the end panels...it was a little too wide due to two major mental mistakes...1) not setting the fence in the correct direction and 2) not cutting a test sample. Doh!! However, I recovered by constructing a little bracketing detail at the top of the panels where they fit into the top which closed up the gap visually and appears somewhat sculptured. "Stuff" happens... :rolleyes:

Remaining work includes a whole bunch of sanding and final finishing which will be BLO, shellac and PSL. Hopefully I can get some time in the evenings this week to do a lot of that as it looks like I'm not traveling this week on business.

Pics:

1) Panels glued up after milling the stock flat and to thickness
2) Cutting faux mortises using a router and MDF guide
3) End panels installed. You can see the bracket detail at the top of the panels that make up for the little...err...mistake
4) Lower shelf rails are put in place using glue and pocket screws. The remaining shelf will be assembled the same way
5) The table is completely assembled and ready for sanding and finish work

Tony Falotico
02-29-2004, 7:35 PM
Looking Real good, Jim. Can't wait to see it finished.

Mark Singer
02-29-2004, 7:48 PM
Jim,
Nice design! Very nice joinery too! Show us the finish pics please!!!

Byron Trantham
02-29-2004, 8:33 PM
Boy Jim, your sneak peak didn't do your final execution justice. What appeared simple turned out elegant. Nice job. :)

Jim Becker
02-29-2004, 8:43 PM
Boy Jim, your sneak peak didn't do your final execution justice. What appeared simple turned out elegant.

Thank you for your kind comment. I had a bunch of trouble working with SketchUp for that initial picture (first drawing...) and didn't get the shelf in it. But I did have it "in my mind"... :D

John Miliunas
02-29-2004, 9:01 PM
Well, I'd say it didn't take you too long to go from conceptual to execution! Nice job on both counts, as well! That Walnut will be beautiful once get some oil on it. I can't wait to see the final results! :cool:

Dick Parr
02-29-2004, 9:09 PM
Very Nice Jim, I love a project done in walnut. Make sure you show us pictures when it is completed.

Todd Burch
02-29-2004, 10:37 PM
I don't know what I like better - the actual result or the drawing... hummm... I guess I like the actual result better!!! :)

Good job. You'll be watching TV in style by next weekend!

Jim Schmoll
02-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Two thumbs up on this one. Really like the through tenons and shelf.

Jim From Idyllwild CA :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Two thumbs up on this one. Really like the through tenons and shelf.

The shelf exists. The tenons don't! They just look like they are there... :D

Joe Bourbois
03-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Very well done, Jim. What's the overall height on that puppy?

Can't wait to see the finish!

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-01-2004, 7:54 AM
That's a very versatile design...as you said, could make a neat bench. Like for by a door...got a built-in place for shoes to rest. Or an accent table.

I like it!

KC

Dan Smith
03-01-2004, 8:06 AM
Nice design Jim. I would like to see pictures when it is in place with the LCD on it. Is that more walnut from your "ranch"?

-dan

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 8:59 AM
What's the overall height on that puppy?

Height is about 18". Length is 40". Depth is 17.5". These dimensions were determined by the need to house gear on the shelf as well as support the video display on top. The height was determined by taking into consideration the location things will be as well as providing a comfortable viewing height from the seating.

I would like to see pictures when it is in place with the LCD on it. Is that more walnut from your "ranch"?

Yes, I plan on "before" and "after" pictures. The walnut is from the property and is from the slabs that were milled back in 2000. It's beautiful stuff.

Terry Hatfield
03-01-2004, 9:35 AM
Jim,

Nice work!!! I like the fake tenons. They look neat. Must be nice to have wood from your own property. That walnut is really beautiful.

t

Greg Wandless
03-01-2004, 9:53 AM
Looks great Jim, be sure to snap a couple of shots when its done and in place. You must get great satisfaction from making a piece from stock you cut from your own property. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Greg

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
You must get great satisfaction from making a piece from stock you cut from your own property.

Yes, this is very true. When we/the former owners had a new septic system installed back in 2000, a number of poplar and walnut trees needed to be removed. I didn't want to waste so much great material, so I had it milled on-site. (There is a pictorial of that process on my site) Since then, I've been using this material for many projects and it's nice to be able to not only say that I made something, but that the lumber was "very local". Too bad I didn't have a stand of cherry... :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Jim
Very nice design to fit the purpose for which it is intended.
And along with that - it's beautiful wood also.
Looking forward to see the finish.
Daniel :cool:

John Weber
03-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Jim.

Looks great! The walnut has super color, what finish will you use - oil/wax?

John

Donnie Raines
03-01-2004, 11:39 AM
I like this....rather then wait for the legs to "spray" outward after years of use....and moving it back and forth....you went right to it and gave it that "I have been used" look....... :D

...I really like that design Jim.....nice work! :p

DonnieR

Dan Bussiere
03-01-2004, 5:01 PM
Jim,
As always, I am impressed with your work. It was nice to see a project go from the plan stage to the work stage to the assembly stage. Can't wait to see it when your finished!
Dan

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 5:58 PM
Jim,

Your TV stand is a lot more elegant than mine but mine pretty much won't be seen. I'll be posting a pic or two of it in the Design Forum under my EC Design Help post in a couple of days.

Further, my TV weighs 214 lbs. all dry! :)

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 6:36 PM
Further, my TV weighs 214 lbs. all dry!

Well...the 30" Sharp Aquos LCD is only about 35 lbs with the stock speakers attached, but I've already stood on top of the table and I (unfortunatly...business travel eating) weigh in at about 200 lbs. It didin't even blink...that 1¼" thick stock is pretty strong!

Tyler Howell
03-01-2004, 6:51 PM
And another nice one!;)

Tom Sweeney
03-01-2004, 9:52 PM
Nice to know it's not just hacks like me that make um, err design changes during a project :rolleyes:

Can I get a little clarification on the faux tennons. If I understand correctly you rout out the "mortise" on the top(remove about 1/2 the materail thickness?) Then run screws down from the top & glue in a piece of walnut to cover the screws - which looks like a through tennon - is that right?

Real nice & versatile design, as others have stated :cool:

Jim Becker
03-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Nice to know it's not just hacks like me that make um, err design changes during a project

Seems like it happens with every project...but since I do a lot of them without hard and fast dimensions, flexibility is a little easier.

Can I get a little clarification on the faux tennons. If I understand correctly you rout out the "mortise" on the top(remove about 1/2 the materail thickness?) Then run screws down from the top & glue in a piece of walnut to cover the screws - which looks like a through tennon - is that right?

The "mortises" are cut out to a depth of about ¼" and countersunk screws were sunk into the ends of the angled side panels. I then prepared end-grain inlays to fit the mortises and exactly mimic what a through tenon would look like. They are currently a little proud of the surface after gluing and will be brought flush as part of the sanding process. I cut the recesses with the router and a template, but had to do a lot of Neander work getting them square, even in size and exactly lined up as they would be if they were real through tenons poking through. Real tenons might have been stronger, but I just didn't want to take the time to calculate all the angles, etc., for the mortises and tenons.

Are you coming with Noah on Sunday for a little spinny fun?