PDA

View Full Version : Okay, time to Jump in....

Arlan Ten Kley
01-16-2008, 3:24 PM
Hey all! I've been lurking for a month or so. I found the site while researching my Christmas present! I've spent years looking at pottery and turned pieces, always telling myself that I would do that one day. The LOML gave me a budget for Christmas so this is the package I put together....5 pieces! Jet 1220, NovaG3 chuck, Crown PM 1/2" bowl gouge, a 3/4" Sorby oval skew, and a Ryobi 8"grinder.

The stands are build for the lathe and the grinder, the sharpening jig is built for the bowl gouge, and I'm on my way. My only experience with a lathe was making a small spindle in High School shop 40 years ago. All of your advice and free sharing of information on this site has helped tremendously. Articles researched on the net have helped as well. I have not seen any videos yet, nor attended a local turning club meeting...(that should change Saturday!)

I've been mentally mapping downed trees for some time, so the pick up and chainsaw have made a few trips collecting some of the targets! I've ruined two pieces so far, but have turned 10 projects into recognizable bowls...no finish has been applied yet, and I only have sandpaper up to 320! 100 grit is as low as I have, and I have no sanding disk for a drill yet. I've found that I need something more aggressive than 100 grit to complete a particular Live oak project.... I'm more into learning tool technique now...but soon need to collect the materials to actually finish some of these projects.

I've decided to show you some of what I've done so far...even though it is neither completely sanded nor finished. I just couldn't wait to share! The general progression will be from earlier pieces to the one I turned last night. I've had to make a few tools to complete some of the pieces.

Another project will be a photo booth....these are heavily shadowed from the use of attached flash!

The first is wormy heart pine - 3.8" x 1.25"
The second is Chinese Tallow - 3.1" x 2.5"
The last one is Water oak - 3.4" x 2.9"

Arlan Ten Kley
01-16-2008, 3:32 PM
Here are the last two....

First is spalted and wormy Live Oak...with need of aggressive sanding inside with tennon in place... 9" x 3"

The final is Eastern Red Cedar sanded only - 5.1" x 2.75"

George Morris
01-16-2008, 3:32 PM
Welcome to the creek!! They look great!! You are on the right track. I have found that a turning club is the best way to expand your knowledge base. Also a class or two, and their many good vidios. Sometimes you turning club will have a vido libary you can use. Again welcome!!! George

Chuck Hayes
01-16-2008, 4:24 PM
Arlan;

Question: How did you do the hallow form with the tools you listed? I am new to this so this may sound silly but I thought you had to have special tools for HFs.

Chuck

Arlan Ten Kley
01-16-2008, 4:38 PM
Chuck, you are right, it would be pretty tough to do with those two tools! I ground cutting edges on the ends of a couple 3/16" shafts salvaged from an old fax machine! I left one straight and put a slight bend near the end of the other. They are both about 12" long and I have not even taken the time to put handles on them yet. Now that I know they will work on the small projects, I'll give them handles.

The oak was pretty rough, but the cedar was a dream after wrestling the oak.

I just started really slow, learning the feel of the forces involved. One of the pieces I destroyed was my first attempt!

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2008, 4:47 PM
Welcome to SMC Arlan. Yep you have made a great start. Those pieces are great. Keep'em coming.

Chuck Hayes
01-16-2008, 4:50 PM
Forgot to mention in my haste to figure out how you did it.

They look awesome, great start. Gives me a little more motivation to give bowls and HFs a try.

Tom Sherman
01-16-2008, 6:20 PM
Arlan welcome to the Creek, looks like you are off to a good start. Those are some nice looking bowls.

Ben Gastfriend
01-16-2008, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the abyss/vortex of turning. If you listen carfully you can hear it swirling, you're being sucked in!

REALLY nice projects! Get some finish on 'em and let's see them shine!
Good job!

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2008, 6:58 PM
Arlan - Welcome to the Creek! Really nice work so far - really like the cedar hollow form! Beautiful woods - can't wait to see them sanded and some type of finish on them!

What part of lower Alabama are you in? I used to live in Heron Bay - southwest of Mobile. My son and his family live a little south of Irvington... great part of the country!!

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 8:12 PM
Welcome to SMC! And that's some darn nice work, too! Of all of them, I happen to be partial to the water oak piece.

Arlan Ten Kley
01-16-2008, 9:52 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and nice comments. I appreciate them.

Steve: I live in Baldwin County, just east of Mobile Bay, in the rural community of Robertsdale, my wife's hometown. ....been here since 2001, a transplant from the Pacific Northwest!

Jim Underwood
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Dayum!

Boy you make some pretty stuff for a beginner. Good choices on the equipment too. You're gonna make an exceptional turner. You'll be teaching us before it's all over...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Very nicely done Arlan!

And .....Welcome to the Creek.................from the Pacific Northwest!

Mike A. Smith
01-17-2008, 1:43 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and nice comments. I appreciate them.

Steve: I live in Baldwin County, just east of Mobile Bay, in the rural community of Robertsdale, my wife's hometown. ....been here since 2001, a transplant from the Pacific Northwest!

Arlan, welcome to the creek! I have to echo everyone else, that is a heck of a nice start! Also, welcome to LA.

Mike Vickery
01-17-2008, 2:44 PM
Arlan,
Very very nice first pieces. Looks like you have a pretty good eye for form.

Arlan Ten Kley
01-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Y'all are very kind! Thank You! You have made me feel welcome.

Now I just have to get some finishing materials....

Bill Bolen
01-18-2008, 1:36 AM
Arlan, welcome! they are all very nicley done! Gotta love that cedar!...Bill...

Paul Engle
01-18-2008, 9:54 AM
Welcome Arlen, I must say nicely done for 1st's , home made tools too boot . excellent . I really like the Oak and Cedar.