PDA

View Full Version : What Style House?

Scott Hildenbrand
01-16-2008, 3:15 PM
Ok, so I wanted to get some input on what style house you all think this is.

I'm not sure what it'd be considered.

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 3:42 PM
Some form of modified Cape, I think....there's a bit of "evolutionary diversity in design" there... :)

Scott Hildenbrand
01-16-2008, 3:55 PM
LOL.. That's putting it lightly. Just trying to get a handle on what it is before I do anything major.

I just busted up the looooovely foam fireplace that the prior owners got put in, for free! So will be building a new more traditional mantel soon.

Glenn Clabo
01-16-2008, 4:41 PM
I'd call it a Neo-Eclectic Cape

Joe Pelonio
01-16-2008, 5:37 PM
I agree with some form of Cape, but have never seen such a mix of siding materials before, in fact not even flagstone and river rock on the same house. They have been put together well though, very nicely in fact.

Andy Hoyt
01-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I actually recognize elements from various architectural styles and all from several different eras.

I therefore deem it, Contemporary Builder or Neo-Classical DIY.

Bob Childress
01-17-2008, 6:30 AM
Some kind of Cape, I think. Guessing it was built in the 40's or very early 50's.

Randal Stevenson
01-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Some kind of Cape, I think. Guessing it was built in the 40's or very early 50's.

I was going to say that, as when soldiers were returning, I know that was what a lot of them built around here, in the late 40's to early 50's (pre split ranch). One way to notice a lot of them, they have smaller eves due to lumber shortages from all the building.

Scott Hildenbrand
01-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Huh... Seems that everyone thinks it's a cape of some kind.. I'd actually googled images for Cape cods and do see a slight resemblance.

One thing to note, there are alot of homes in the area similar to it in that the entrances are stonework.

Fact is for the home, it'd been added onto alot over the years. Some better than others. It started its life as a smaller farmhouse.

The half story is a converted attic space which was done alright. Insulation job sucked though which I've got to redo. The dormer was added when they did that.

Somewhere along the way a large dressing room and new living room were added on, which are the stone extensions you see to the left and right with the flat roofs. I'd love to do something different with the roofs but I'm at a loss currently as to what would work.

The house itself is painted brick. Why they went with so many different stones, I'll never know.. Figure cost, maybe? It's a hard mix to stomach but because the brick is painted, eases the transition. Kinda grows on ya.

At any rate, we actually moved down on this one and got it as a project house.

So far I'd stripped wallpaper and chipping paint off the dining room walls which needed major work to smooth. One wall was done poor and I needed to re mud it. The others all needed skimmed.

Also just finished destroying a looooovely foam fireplace mantel that the prior owners got put in, for free. Was some south western thing.. Would have been nice in a home that fit it.. This wasn't it. So building something more traditional.

Also have the garage doors I'm doing. Since it's more of a workshop in function and form I'm building carriage house doors for it that swing outward, giving more space in the shop area. Current doors were 3 panel standard doors which were strapped and cut down the center, then hinged so they swing in.. They suck.. Don't close.. Have holes..

I love projects... So much fun.

Tim Morton
01-17-2008, 9:38 PM
That just hurts my eyes to look at it....is that 6 different styles of windows? Thats no cape that i have ever seen here in new england.:eek::eek:

But I think if you work at it you can turn it into a very nice facade....but I would seriously recommend having an architect come and give you a "direction".

Keith Beck
01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Looks to me like a Cape with a little Cotswold Cottage and a little Prairie thrown in for good measure.

Keith

Michael Gibbons
01-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I could imagine the part with the slate brick has shag rug inside. The rock faced area has dark english tudor gothic furniture gracing the interior. And the brick sided area is your basic 90's drywall and lazy-boy furniture on pale tan berber.

Sam Yerardi
01-18-2008, 1:36 PM
It's a modified Cape that has had Prairie-style (ranch in this case) additions added on. The flat stone on the right is known as Ashlar stone. It's how my house is built. My windows are almost identical to the ones on the right. And my roof line is the same (hip-style).

Scott Hildenbrand
01-18-2008, 4:37 PM
Actually, it's hardwood and tile throughout and anything that isn't, will be shortly.

Far as windows go, only two styles beyond the stained glass panel in the rock entry area.

At any rate... Appreciate the input. Was fully aware of the work that needed to go into it before we bought it.

Far as "direction" is concerned, I'll decide on that when the time comes. For now, plenty to do elsewhere before I start screwing around throwing cash at things just to make them pretty.