PDA

View Full Version : New rest for Jet mini

Jim Hill
01-16-2008, 3:14 PM
I need to replace the rest on my Jet mini. The OEM rest is no longer smooth; it has developed a number of nicks and such. I know that I over research some of the most basic things, but I really like to know what I'm buying and what to expect. Seems like a lot of places offer rests: Woodcraft, Craft Supplies, Packard, Lee Valley, etc. Any input on the quality of these various offerings is appreciated. I guess I'm most concerned about the style where the bar screws onto the post and whether or not it's really stable, or if it loosens while you're working. I currently do pens, bottle stoppers and other small items. Thanks for your insight.

Jim

Pete Jordan
01-16-2008, 3:22 PM
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.html

Fellow Creeker

robert hainstock
01-16-2008, 4:15 PM
I use the kind with the screw in posts and that has a round Hardened steel rod on the top surface. I realy like them, posts loosening is not a problem, and I only wish I had one more, a 6in. :)
Bob

Kevin McPeek
01-16-2008, 4:22 PM
Have you filed it flat yet? I file mine then put a little paste wax on.

The round bars are nice and tend to be a little harder than the cast iron rests so you don't get as many nicks in it. Lots of people just have a weld shop make them at a reasonable price. But if you buy them, they don't get better than what Pete recommended.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2008, 4:52 PM
I was going to ask the same thing Kevin did. Do you file the rest to smooth it and then put some wax on?

Pete hit the nail on the head. They don't get any better than the Monster rests.

Steve Campbell
01-16-2008, 5:05 PM
Do you have any friends that weld Jim? This is what a bowl or two will get you. It's nice to have many friends.

Steve

John Timberlake
01-16-2008, 9:36 PM
Not only do you want to file it smooth, you need to file the corners off the square tools you have so they will not dig in.

Tim Malyszko
01-17-2008, 9:07 AM
I replaced my oem toolrest with the sorby modular toolrest system for a couple of reasons:

Cost - When comparing the toolrest to other systems, the premium paid for the sorby name and quality was minimal. Plus all the components were available locally at Rockler.
Flexibility - Not if, but when I upgrade to a big boy lathe, all I have to replace is the stem portion and I can re-use all the rests without worry. Also, I plan on keeping my mini, so I can easily swap the rests between the lathes.I purchased the 5/8" stem, the 6" cross bar, the 9" cross bar and the 9" internal bow crossbar. The entire set cost me around $125.

Bill Blasic
01-17-2008, 9:28 AM
Jim,
You could also epoxy a piece of 1/4" drill rod onto the top of the rest, this would give you a nice smooth new edge.
Bill

Mike Vickery
01-17-2008, 10:23 AM
I know a couple people have suggested fileing it. For me I find that takes to long. I have a big 6 inch belt sander I use to smooth mine out. Only takes a couple seconds.

ROY DICK
01-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Good suggestions by all. I use a good file/ros/ and wax.
It only take a few minutes.

Scott Hubl
01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I also bought the Sorby modular toolrest system, only they were out of the 5/8 posts .

I picked up two of the 1" posts, the 4" rest, 6" rest, 9" rest, the flat box making rest, the Inside curved bowl rest, and the Outside curved bowl rest.
I might have a few more pieces to the system, I'd have to go out and look its been awhile since I bought them.

And now my local Rockler has closed so I will have to order the 5/8" post to use on the Jet mini if I want too.

Thats been mainly reduced to the Beall buffing systems I have though.

Jim Hill
01-17-2008, 2:11 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've decided to go with the Sorby modular set. Sounds like a good set up, and I can pick it up tomorrow!!

Jim

Scott Hubl
01-17-2008, 8:37 PM
You'll like the Sorby's Jim.

And as stated you can later add a larger post and still utilize all the tool rest parts you buy now. Thats a GOOD thing too.

If you make small lidded boxes the flat Box making tool rest is nice to have, helps in keeping the tool stable.

Congrats on your choice. Enjoy.

Tim Malyszko
01-18-2008, 9:43 AM
Jim,

Good choice on the Sorby Tool Rest. You cannot go wrong with Sorby.