PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form #11, Please Critique

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2008, 1:01 PM
This is another in my spalted birch series. Wanted to try something radically different as to form this time around… please let me know what you think of it.

Lots of curl, spalting, cracks and a few knots – all of which really bring this thing to life when you hold it. All cracks and voids were filled with coffee grounds and CA.

Spalted birch hollow form; 11 1/8” x 4 ¼”, a few light coats of gloss poly.

79373 79374 79375 79376

I do have a series of photos showing the basic setup and sequence of events while turning this hollow form. I have had a few requests for a tutorial on hollow forms and if there is enough interest I can attempt it. I can also just email photos to those of you who request them.

As always – comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged!

Thanks for looking!

Chris Fierro
01-16-2008, 1:04 PM
Very nice Steve. I for one am always interested in reading and seeing how other people employ different techniques, so I'd ask you to post your tutorial.

Good work.

Bob Hallowell
01-16-2008, 1:08 PM
Steve,
that's another winner! great peice and I do like the form.

Bob

Mike A. Smith
01-16-2008, 1:11 PM
Steve the wood is gorgeous and it looks really well crafted. For my personal taste I think I have a problem with the sharp edge, but I don't have the best eye for form in my own house, much less around here!

That being said I think it's important that we try new forms. (I've got a box in the finishing stage that's probably going to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me!)

Paul Engle
01-16-2008, 1:26 PM
Steve... VERY COOL:D. I see you can get addicted to the spalted birch ( as I have) If you did this one free hand ( w/o benefit of captured system) I for one would like to see / hear/ tutorial on this shape particularly. Excellent work,great choice on the finish and the gloss poly is ( especally a fresh can ) PERFECT for this wood.

Mike Golka
01-16-2008, 1:27 PM
I like it. Ditto on what Chris said, tutor away!

Mike

Bill Bolen
01-16-2008, 2:11 PM
Another "Beaut" Steve. I really like the rise from the rim to the mouth. Pretty woo also!...Bill..

Mike Vickery
01-16-2008, 2:15 PM
Steve a very nice piece. The wood is beautiful and the workmanship is excellent.

As far as critique take this with a grain of salt since I do not do many hollow forms (yet). I think their is a slight problem with the balance of the piece. You have a very masculine design element in the sharp edge of the transition but then switch to very feminine element on the soft curve in the collar.

Ben Gastfriend
01-16-2008, 2:44 PM
It looks great, as always, but I think that I don't really like the sharp edge, it gives it an angular look, and I like turnings to flow. But you did a really nice job, and If you like it, don't even read what's above... oh... you probably already did!

Burt Alcantara
01-16-2008, 4:53 PM
Tutorial please!

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2008, 4:54 PM
Steve another beauty. I like the form and finish. Well done.

Tom Sherman
01-16-2008, 6:27 PM
Steve it looks to me like you nailed this one. The sharp line is stark for sure but I think you handled it well, the up sweep on the opening is spot on. That wood has a lot of character and I think you have done a wonderful job.

BILL DONAHUE
01-16-2008, 7:18 PM
Steve,
Would really appreciate photos and a tutorial on HF's. Just got the Mini Monster Hollowing Tool and have used it for one deep bowl just to get a feel for it. Have no idea at all about how or when to use the different tips for it. (Wish someone would do a tutorial on how to post pictures, too)

Nice job!

Bill Wyko
01-16-2008, 7:50 PM
Steve, that's one of the best yet. A+++++:D YOU JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER:)

Jim Becker
01-16-2008, 8:14 PM
Tough form that you did really nicely, Steve. Just enough "lift" in the rim and good continuous curves above and below the break. Nice!

bob matthews
01-16-2008, 8:38 PM
Newly back after years of inactivity as a turner I'd love to hear and see more of your skills. Wonderful piece!

Ron Hipp
01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I do like the lines in the piece, finish is great as well... I would like to see a tutorial also .
Ron

Curt Fuller
01-16-2008, 10:28 PM
That's a beautiful form Steve. Looks like a genie might pop out if you rubbed it. I like the wood too.

Alex Elias
01-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Personaly I can't see anything wrong with the form. To the point that I would make something along the lines. (A lot smaller) since I don't know how to do hollow forms. A tutorial is awaiting here. Make sure to put lots of pictures.

Brad Hammond
01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
those are gorgeous pics! well done! mighty fine form as well.

mike fuson
01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice job Steve, I tend to like the flowing curves better, but I also think we need a few pieces out of the ordinary. I like the rim , thats the best part.

Gilbert Vega
01-17-2008, 12:54 AM
That's a beautiful form and wood. I also vote for a tutorial!!

Ron Drew
01-17-2008, 8:24 AM
Just beautiful Steve! Personally, I like the sharp line edge, and the slight radius at the opening. Gives it a nice contemporary look.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2008, 8:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Bob & Ron - Welcome to the Creek!

When I turned this piece I figured there would be a love it or hate it reaction from those who viewed it. Just wanted to try something different and see what happened. The form came about as a way to display the feather across the top. If I had put more of a traditional curve in the top and it would have removed the feather and curl.

As to the photos of the steps I took to complete this - I will start putting together a 'tutorial' of sorts of those steps and hopefully we can all learn a little more about hollow forms - especially me!

Thanks again for all your comments!

robert hainstock
01-17-2008, 9:28 AM
Think southwest guys. the pottery there frequently has sharp edges, and I think this is one of your best works yet. I've been waiting for this one neighbor. :D:D:D:D
Bob

Ron Chamberlin
01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Nice job, Steve. I really like the "flying saucer" effect. I am a novice on hollow forms, so that is doubly impressive to me.
Doc Ron

Karin Voorhis
01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
That is just beautiful!!!!! Very nice

Tom Steyer
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Steve,
Very nice. I for one like the "sharp edge" - I think there is room in the turning realm for new approaches - the "classic" shapes are not the only alternatives. I would really like to see you make a tutorial to share.

michael gallagher
01-17-2008, 1:07 PM
I like it...great job on a difficult form. I'd also love to see your tutorial!

steve walden
01-17-2008, 3:22 PM
Wow- outstanding - looks to me like it is floating on a still pool with the soft blue background- elegant curves and great choice of wood- Attaboy!

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2008, 3:30 PM
Thanks Steve and Welcome to the Creek!!! Good to see you posting!

Steve Campbell
01-17-2008, 6:55 PM
Steve I love the form. Great finish too. Got to try hollow forms one of these days.

Steve

Scott Donley
01-17-2008, 7:54 PM
Steve, I like the form and the fact you did an outstanding job on it. Different can be a good thing as you have shown here. :)