PDA

View Full Version : Power feeder - Newbie question

Brian Fulkerson
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Can someone explain to me what a power feeder is for a table saw and how it works?

I would love to know. Thanks,

Brian

Brad Shipton
01-16-2008, 1:49 PM
Three or four wheels (or rubber belt) on springs mounted in a motor driven assembly that is mounted on a horizontal round bar the extends from a vertical post. The motor assembly will move up/down/rotate on the vertical post and left/right on the horizontal rod. The motor head will rotate about the end of the horizontal rod to allow you too feed stock flat or on edge. You can set the device to automatically feed the stock at rates varying from 12fpm to 80fpm depending upon the machine.

Take a look on ebay/grizzly/general sites and you will understand. Very handy if you are doing larger runs.

Brad

Rod Sheridan
01-16-2008, 1:54 PM
A power feeder is an electric motor and gearbox, with 3 or 4 rubber wheels that push the wood along. (I know feeders range from one to six wheels however for tablesaws they are normally 3 or 4).

You can change feed speeds by changing gear sets in the feeder, the one I have has 8 speeds from 2.9 to 23m/minute.

The feeders have a column with a rack and pinion to adjust height, and a rack and pinion to adjust reach.

On a tablesaw the feeder would be positioned with one wheel just beyond the front edge of the blade, the others in front of the blade, with the feeder angled a few degrees into the fence.

The feeder keeps the stock pressed down on the table, and into the fence, while feeding at a constant speed. The cut quality is better with a feeder in many cases, as opposed to hand feeding, not to mention much safer.

Feeders also swivel so that the wheels apply pressure against the fence, for applications such as shapers. I use mine almost exclusively with the shaper, although I've used them on bandsaws, tablesaw, shapers and jointers.

Regards, Rod.

Aaron Beaver
01-16-2008, 3:45 PM
I see they make some 1/8 hp ones, are those any good? They are the least expensive and the 1/4 hp aren't to much more. Didn't know if there was a minimum HP you should try to get if looking at them.

Rod Sheridan
01-16-2008, 4:08 PM
The 1/8 HP feeder is a universal motor like a drill, I haven't heard any positive comments on them.

The 1/4 HP feeders have an induction motor, with gears to change the speed.

I have a 1/2HP feeder and find that it's a nice size.......Rod.

Joe Chritz
01-16-2008, 4:59 PM
The 1/8 horse mini feeders are definately not production quality but I have one and it does a good job for stick profiles on a shaper. You can even climb cut with it.

It won't do full passes on a raised panel but two passes per panel is very doable.

I will most likely sell mine and get a 1/4 hp for the extra stability and muscle.

Seems like you would have to do a ton of ripping on a TS to justify a feeder. I know the mill shop up the road uses one when building trim.

Joe

Rod Sheridan
01-17-2008, 9:08 AM
Hi Joe, more than a ton of ripping, closer to 4 or 5 tons in a day.

We would frequently rip 150 sheets of material in a day on a saw using a 1 HP feeder.

I don't think anyone would want to push that much material through a saw by hand.

At home I rarely use a feeder on the tablesaw, just for narrow strips, or for making hardwood flooring.

regards, Rod.

Regards, Rod.