PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 612 info?

Nathan Hoffman
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know anything about a Woodmaster 612 model planer? I just picked one up from my wife's great uncle for $100, mostly because I figured I could sell it for at least that if I didn't want it. It came with a sanding drum and molding shaft, and an extra set of planer blades. It appears that the top was designed to be used as a jointer. Anyone have experience with a machine like this? I have an older Delta lunchbox planer and a new Grizzly 6" jointer, so maybe I could get rid of them? IHaven't had a chance to set it up and see how it runs yet, be he said it ran well.

Victor Stearns
01-16-2008, 1:30 PM
I have the model 618. My father left it to me. He had the sanding drum, new knives, gang rip and molding head attachments. I have used everything with the exception of the gang rip. I especially like the molding head. We ordered a cutter direct from Woodmaster. They do have very good customer service. Prior to ordering the cutter, I called, as I need to make a curved molding for a window in the house. They sent me the DVD at no charge. After watching the DVD I made two curved moldings, one for practice and the second, a good one this is above the window today. I did also replace the feed rollers prior to any use of the machine. It is the only planer I use today. The variable rate feed it great.
Victor

Victor Stearns
01-16-2008, 1:32 PM
PS As I recall I found the receipt where Dad bought it used for $2000. The guy selling it also gave Dad a pickup load of walnut. I still think it was a great deal.
Victor

Nathan Hoffman
01-17-2008, 7:24 AM
Thanks for the reply, Victor, it sounds like a great machine. Mine is an older unit and doesn't have the variable speed, but I wonder if it could be added? I could probably cobble something together.

The place I get most of my wood from will plane it for no charge, so I will probably use this more for molding or sanding if I can figure out how to use it. Has anyone had any experience using the jointer top part on one of these? I notice that the new ones don't have that feature, so I assume there's a good reason for it.......

Chuck Saunders
01-17-2008, 8:59 AM
I have a 612 that I bought back in 85. picked it up at the factory. I have been happy with it though it is not the same as a cast iron behemoth. I think that the joinTer option failed due to the relatively light weight construction (as jointers go).

Brandon Shew
01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a 612 that I bought used for $175 which I thought was a good deal so $100 is even better. I've got the 5 HP Leeson motor, but I understand that 3 HP was also available. IMO it's much better than any of the 12" lunchbox models out there. You've got more power, more stability, better in/outfeed tables, etc... Mine has performed well since I've had it and you can throw just about anything at it and not have to worry about taking off too much in a single pass.

From what I hear - you'll want to keep the Griz jointer, but you could sell the Delta lunchbox and re-coup your $100 investment, probably with a few more dollars for some new blades to boot. I don't have variable feed rate either. I should probably also replace my v-belts with tome twist link belts as I get a fair amount of vibration at startup (but she settles down nicely once she's running).

If you have any interest in parting with that sander attachment - let me know. I have been looking around for a sander drum for mine and haven't been able to find one.

Nathan Hoffman
01-18-2008, 7:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I had a chance to look the machine over in a litte more detail last night, and the belt that runs from the motor to the main shaft is not the right one - its too short. That shaft also has no pulley on it, but I have a few pulleys in the box with the sanding drum and molding shaft that will fit, so I assume one of them is right. Is there a way someone could tell me, or at least send a picture of what that pulley looks like and how long the belt is? I emailed Woodmaster yesterday to see about a copy of the owner's manual but so far no response.

Do any of you guys have dust collection fitted? I think I'll have to rig something up, probably take the jointer top off and fabricate a collection hood for it.

In order to try it out, I'm going to need that new belt and add another 220V outlet, since the 2 outlets I have are being used by the table saw and dust collector. I wonder how the molding head will work without variable speed? Anyone used this feature?

Thanks.

Brandon Shew
01-18-2008, 9:50 PM
You won't be able to get a manual from Woodmaster. See my post in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68960&highlight=woodmaster

Steve Clardy
01-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Theres a seller on Ebay selling reprinted Belsaw Manuals.
They may have a manual.

Just search Foley Belsaw

Nathan Hoffman
01-22-2008, 7:39 AM
I received a reply from Woodmaster saying that they do not have a manual for that machine, as I expected, and you correctly predicted. All I really need, though, is the length of the v belt that runs from the motor to the cutterhead. Brandon, could you get that for me? Or maybe a part number from the belt? I would really appreciate it.

They won't let us use Ebay here at work:rolleyes:, so I'll check into that idea another time.

Thanks.