PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a bench vise

Brandon Shew
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
OK workbench builders - I need some advice/recommendations.

I am in the process of the glue-up on the top for my new workbench. I am looking at a final top dimension of 72"L x 24" D ' 2.25" H. I am looking for two vices (as if drinking wasn't enough).

I am setting up the bench in a right handed config and I want an end vise on the right side (preferrably 24" clamping face to cover the full 24" depth) and a front vice on the front left side (maybe 12-15" clamping face?).

Given that this is my first bench and I am on somewhat of a budget, I'll probably rule out the Veritas models on price alone. I see that Woodcraft and Rockler each carry bench vises. Any recommendations or advice on models, sizes, and fitting would be appreciated. Pictures are good too.

Chris Padilla
01-16-2008, 11:17 AM
The Veritas is sweet, sweet, sweet but that Rockler doesn't look too bad and the reviews seem good.

I picked up the 9" quick release for my front vise...works just fine.

Greg Cole
01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Pretty much what Chris said.
I have a generic quick release on my current bench. It's ok for what I paid for it.... but for a dedicated Neander-cabinet maker style bench, I'd be very tempted to save my pennies, ok dollars (pennies take too long to add up) for the Veritas. If you are building a bench you are going to have for a good long life, I'll say it's almost always worth it to buy what you really want the first time around......

Cheers.
Greg

Curt Taylor
01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I used the Rockler 12" end vise on mine and it seems to work well for the price. Seems to be built fairly heavy and works smooth for a mid stream vise. I put 16' wood jaws on it which work well with the layout of dog holes in the table.

Eric Haycraft
01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
You may want to head over to rockler. I think that they have bench dog vices half price..but in store only. I can't find it on the rockler site or benchdog, but I swear it was a bench dog regularly 120 or 140 going for 70 bucks when I was in there this weekend. Looked like a sweet vice.

Eric Haycraft
01-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Found it..
http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-090-Standard-ProBench/dp/B000OR8JQ6/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1200501547&sr=1-49

John Schreiber
01-16-2008, 3:53 PM
You might also want to look at the Anant vises at Highland Woodworking (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=325). I've heard good things about them. They aren't cheap, but they aren't as expensive as some.