PDA

View Full Version : Monster Articulated Hollowing System

Burt Alcantara
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Anyone use this setup? I like the fact that it contains a good variety of cutters and includes a laser. Good points, bad points?

Burt

Bob Hallowell
01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I didn't even know Randy was making them. I own one of his captive systems and love it.

Bob

robert hainstock
01-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I do not own one, but I have seen one in use and would buy one in a heartbeat if I were twenty years younger. It is the best currently avalable, (my opinion). :):)
Bob

Alex Cam
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I read a review on another forum, and he gave it a rave review. He said he liked it so much that his D-handle probably won't be seeing much use in the future.

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2008, 1:09 PM
Burt - Randy makes quality tools! I own the Monster captured system and love it!

Back in October my wife and I were lucky enough to be able to stop in and visit with Randy. While there he showed us the mini-articulated hollowing system he had just developed. Man - the only word that comes to mind is SMOOTH! He has since made a version of the system to fit on larger lathes and even though I already have the captured D-handle system I am seriously considering picking up the articulating system as well. There are times when the articulating system would be so much easier to use! And... you can never have enough tools!

Stuart Johnson
01-16-2008, 2:32 PM
I have it and love it. It is well built and very solid. I have not used it enough yet to give a good review but I did look at another one and this one beats it all to pieces. I don't know yet how small an opening I can get with it yet but I think it will be fairly easy to make or buy adapters for small tools.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2008, 4:58 PM
Burt I have his captured system. I have seen the other one and am going to buy it. Nice thing is all the accessories for the captured unit will fit this unit. So all I need to do is buy the basic unit.

Bill Wyko
01-16-2008, 7:35 PM
I own the Clark hollowing system. It's great for going deep into a vessel. Overkill for small projects. Fantastic quality and design though. I think the website is www.theokspindoctor.com.

Michael Armstrong
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I've just received word from Randy that my mini monster hollowing system will ship tomorrow. I can't wait to get it and put it through it's paces. Randy has been great to deal with and I'm sure his tool will match that greatness. Once I get it I'll post the requisite pictures including some shavings cuz I don't want the photo police after me.

Michael

David Walser
01-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know how the Moster Articulated Hollowing System compares with the Elbo Hollowing Tool? I used the Elbo tool at a symposium about a year ago and was very impressed. I held off buying because they had not yet developed a way to use the system on my short-bed lathe. Now they have that solution. Now, there's the Monster version. he Elbo tool seems to be less expensive, but the Monster includes more with the basic package. Decisions...

Here are links to both products:

http://www.elbotool.com/

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html

T

Stuart Johnson
01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I was looking at the Elbo as well and in my opinion I think the Monster is built more solid. With that said and although I have the Monster I don't think the Elbo is a bad tool. I do like all of the extras that come with the Monster.

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I've gone over this topic for a few months. I posted a thread on AAW about the Kobra. Members there said it was the best of all rigs but at a steep price. Mentioned in posts was the Monster which I was not aware of, that's why I created this thread.

Then I found a similar thread on another unmentionable forum (regarding "family...") with this same context with glowing praise. Yesterday, I called Randy and spoke at length about my concerns. I've yet to hear one negative comment about any of Randy's product.

I will probably send a check today.

As to the Elbo -- early adopters have found small but fixable problems. Some have concerns about the finish (rust proofing). I was not comfortable with connecting the tool to the tailstock.

The Monster comes with a large variety of tools and can use all of Randy's huge stock of bars and cutters as well as most bars on the market. The Monster appears to be built very solidly. A visual comparison of the two tools makes the Elbo look puny in my perception. The Monster laser looks very robust while the Elbo laser is a mag base with inexpensive laser.

The Monster will fit my Nova 1624 without modification. Obviously, with a 24" bed I'll have to remove the tailstock. I usually have to remove it anyway.

At the end of the day, both will produce product. How you get there is the difference.

Burt