PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut Sled Question - Kind of

Guy Germaine
01-16-2008, 9:30 AM
First of all, I already know the "correct" answer, and that would be to build a new one. However, being the hard-headed Dutchman that I am, I'm going to ask anyway, just to see if it can be done. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My main crosscut sled (my workhorse) has a bow inthe middle of it. It sits flat on the table in the front and back, but it's about 1/16 off the table in the middle. Now for the question:

Do you think I could flatten it by putting veneer on both sides? I would veneer both sides, put it between flat cauls, and put it in the vacuum bag.

Brian Dormer
01-16-2008, 9:41 AM
I dont think veneering it will help. Your choices are to live with it (although every cut you make with it will be off a little) or build a new one.

Dennis Hatchett
01-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Brian is right. Even if you get it close, I doubt you'd ever get it right and a sled is one of those things that needs to be dead onThis is one of those times where you'll fight it from this day forward and it will save you a lot of grief if you upgrade.

You'll be happy once the new one is built. In the immortal words of John Rambo, "Let it go."

Edward P. Surowiec
01-17-2008, 2:56 PM
Guy,
Do you have any idea why your sled developed a bow? I'm planning on building my first sled and would to benefit from your experience.
Thanks Ed

Dennis Jackson
01-17-2008, 3:56 PM
If I understand correctly the sled should still be useable. When you put wood on it and push it through the blade you should be pushing that 1/16" out of the sled and besides if it is front to back the 90 degree will still be 90 degree to the wood.

If I have misunderstood ignore this message.

Nate Folco
01-17-2008, 5:03 PM
Unless you're using your sled to cut non-90° cuts it should be fine.

Guy Germaine
01-17-2008, 6:02 PM
Dennis and Nate, you're both probably 100% correct. It just so happens that I'm a hard-headed old fart, and want to see if it can fix it:rolleyes:

I get that from my Dad and Grandpa. They never bought anything that they could make/fix themselves.

I have no idea how the bow got there. when not in use, it hangs from a shelf in the shop.

I'm still aware that the "correct" answer is to make a new one, and more than likely, that's what I'll do. I just want to try to flatten it to see if it can be done. That thing is like that old pair of jeans you always wear; they look like he77 and need to be replaced, but they just fit they way you like them! LOL

Ron Kellison
01-17-2008, 8:21 PM
Give it a try! What have you got to lose besides a little bit of time and materials? Who knows. . .you might get lucky!

Dennis Jackson
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
If you are set on repair, how about a hardwood edge on the out side edges to take out the bend?

Guy Germaine
01-19-2008, 6:20 AM
If you are set on repair, how about a hardwood edge on the out side edges to take out the bend?

Dennis,
The problem appears to be at the blade, more so than at the outer edge. I've thought about cutting a 3/4" groove about an inch from the blade and epoxying a piece of 3/16" steel into the groove, and put some weight on it while the glue dries.