PDA

View Full Version : One Man's Junk is Another Man's ....

Leigh Betsch
01-16-2008, 12:22 AM
What do you see here??

Do you see a router table??
I built this router table from almost all salvaged parts. A couple of old lab cabinets, a lab sink/counter top, used aluminum plates for router table inserts, even the router was one I've had for a few years. I did buy some new laminate and a new Incra fence, but I built my own router lift from an old lead screw and a few olds and ends. All told I have less than $50 (minus the fence and router) and I would venture to bet it is flatter, more square, and smoother lifting that most store bought units.
It took quite a bit of machining (metal work that is). I bored the table inserts to accept the Hitachi router posts rather than just bolting on the router base, that way I was able to get enough lift to raise the router above the table for bit removal. I added a lever to activate the spindle lock and I added a socket swivel so I could lock the router lift from above the table. The router hangs in the sink well and the DC hooks up to the sink drain. As 5/8 thick anodized aluminum plate spans the sink opening with another 1/2 anodized aluminum plate to mount the router in. The sink/counter top is made of Trespa (resin and rock from what I can tell) so I had to drill it with carbide drills. It is as hard and as flat as a slate pool table.
When I add up the time to machine the lift, aluminum plates, throat inserts, and all the tinkering, it would have been faster to just build from new materials but I have great satisfaction knowing that I was able to reuse some old junk.

Craig Thompson
01-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Leigh,

That might be closer to a gloat, than salvage.............. how do like the Incra fence???

Mike Cutler
01-16-2008, 5:14 AM
Nice work.

Those lab sinks are big $$$'s new,and you are correct, they are dead flat.
I saw a router table too. Nice work.

PS. I just brought home an industrial fire barrier door. Dead flat and heavy as heck. It's destined for a new life as a benchtop.
I like "salvaging" also.

Leigh Betsch
01-16-2008, 7:53 AM
Leigh,

That might be closer to a gloat, than salvage.............. how do like the Incra fence???

I don't know. I have been so busy with just getting the table built that I haven't doved a tail or boxed a joint yet.

Eric Haycraft
01-16-2008, 8:41 AM
A word of caution. I trimmed 5 inches off of the doorknob side of a fire door that I picked up and it caused the table to warp up on that side. You may want to leave it fill sized or add some bracing if you trim it.

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I see that dumpster diving is still going strong ;):D

Good looking stought table there Leigh

michael gallagher
01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Nice reuse of another man's junk!

Dave Dionne
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice cabinet

I have a loot of old lab stuff in my shop, 4 metal cabinets counter height, 3 upright metal cabinets etc.

Word of caution some of the old cabinet bench tops contain asbestos so be careful know what you are cutting into before you cut. I have a few years in the enviromental chem field and my wife is a envirmental chemist.

Nice haul

Dave

Chuck Lenz
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice job Leigh, way to think out of the box. I know what you mean about time invested, I have a ton of time just into a benchtop router table I'm working on. But then again, I'm not a speedy guy either.

Chris Padilla
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Always good to reuse! Nice job!

Bob Feeser
01-16-2008, 2:10 PM
Steve, You win the crack up phrase of the day award. I was laughing when I read "dumpster diving" :D It sounds like a new olympic sport.

I see that dumpster diving is still going strong ;):D

Good looking stought table there Leigh

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 2:14 PM
Steve, You win the crack up phrase of the day award. I was laughing when I read "dumpster diving" :D It sounds like a new olympic sport.

Lol. I always found that term funny also. :D

Gonna have my wife sew me up a special dumpster diving suit one of these days. :rolleyes:;):D

Jeffrey Makiel
01-16-2008, 3:16 PM
The EPA should give you a recycling award! :)

-Jeff :)

Tyler Purcell
01-16-2008, 4:56 PM
One man gathers what another man spills....

(any dead fans here?)

Steve Clardy
01-16-2008, 5:09 PM
Goggled Dumpster Diver. :eek:

Leigh Betsch
01-16-2008, 7:43 PM
Nice cabinet

I have a loot of old lab stuff in my shop, 4 metal cabinets counter height, 3 upright metal cabinets etc.

Word of caution some of the old cabinet bench tops contain asbestos so be careful know what you are cutting into before you cut. I have a few years in the enviromental chem field and my wife is a envirmental chemist.

Nice haul

Dave
I was a little worried about abestos so I always worn my 3M charcoal mask. I don't think it was the best protection but it was much better than nothing. The couter top was very dusty when I cut or drilled it. I put an old carbide blade in my MM slider and crosscut off 12" from one end. I ran the DC but there was still some dust. Hopefully I didn't od on asbestos dust. By the way the carbide blade was red hot before I got thru the cut but the 6.4 hp MiniMax didn't even slow down.

Leigh Betsch
01-16-2008, 8:29 PM

(any dead fans here?)

Goggled Dumpster Diver. :eek:

That is pretty much the picture. I had a project at work that involved tearing out an old lab. I had the contractor doing the work save a bunch of stuff for me. When I came to pick up the stuff I found the sink and a cabinet in the dumpster. So my buddy and I climbed in and pulled out two sinks and a cabinet. I have the other sink and cabinet installed as an actual sink in my dog kennel. But the biggest haul was two .03 micron heppa filter units complete with motors and blowers and enough plastic curtain to build my own clean room. I have it installed in my shop to protect my "clean stuff" from the wood dust.
Heppas
clean room
clean stuff

John Stevens
01-16-2008, 9:12 PM

(any dead fans here?)

There's one in every crowd :)

Regards,

John St Stephens

Lee Koepke
01-16-2008, 9:31 PM
i used a couple of lab casework pieces in my shop too. I have an 8' "resin" top (its about 50 yrs old so I know what its made of) that I use for a bench area. I still have a 6' top that i havent set up yet. The frames are 1" maple .. I am angry that I didnt salvage the rest of the casework ...

Leigh Betsch
01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
i used a couple of lab casework pieces in my shop too. I have an 8' "resin" top (its about 50 yrs old so I know what its made of) that I use for a bench area. I still have a 6' top that i havent set up yet. The frames are 1" maple .. I am angry that I didnt salvage the rest of the casework ...

Yup if you are in the right place at the right time you can get some pretty nice stuff for free. But you also have to have the space when the stuff comes available. I snagged two 7' stainless steel table tops and the casework to set them on. I also snagged a 25" stainless steel counter, framework, and pullout shelves. I have it stored in my barn right now because I have to move the toys around in the shop to clear up a 25" wall for it. This stuff would cost several thousand $'s if you were to buy it.